Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End: AC/DC 1973-2014

The End: AC/DC 1973-2014

Their music will live on.

By Darryl Mason

AC/DC are ending their 41 year career on a terribly sad note.

Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour, 40 huge shows across the globe.

About 3 weeks ago, founding member, rhythm guitarist, co-producer and co-songwriter Malcolm Young had a stroke, which left a blood clot on his brain.

When AC/DC reunited at the start of April to begin a month of rehearsals, in the lead-up to new album recording sessions, Malcolm discovered he couldn't play. At least, he couldn't play like he used to play.

Nothing has been officially confirmed, as of this writing, but friends and family members have been discussing what happened to Malcolm for the past couple of weeks. The blood clot, resulting from the stroke, is believed to be why Malcolm couldn't keep working.

Although friends have described Malcolm's condition as serious, it doesn't mean he won't recover. People do get better after strokes, and people do recover lost skills.

But friends and family of band members believe the decision was made last week to call it quits.
    Read more........http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au...1973-2014.html

Last edited by phill4paul; 04-15-2014 at 09:46 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I consider the end to have been 1981. For Those About to Rock We Salute You was their last good album. Bon Scott > Brian Johnson
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I consider the end to have been 1981. For Those About to Rock We Salute You was their last good album. Bon Scott > Brian Johnson
    Certainly the Scott/Johnson comparisons will always be made. I'm just glad that they made Back in Black. One of my all time favorites. Not a bad song on the album.

Yeah, I love Bon, but I've always thought that Brian was a terrific replacement. They're really the only band where I thought they didn't lose anything with a replacement of the lead singer.

I loved Back in Black. Still do...but haven't listened to much they've done after that album.

I've always thought there was something special about AC/DC...no matter how much time passes, or how many times i hear their songs, I just never get tired of listening to them.

Sorry to hear this about Malcolm.

I get annoyed at how some bands feel they need to be politically melodramatic on key issues.

AC/DC won my respect at mocking an interviewer (in the late 1970s.) When asked how they would feel if WWIII broke out. One band member shrugged and said something to the effect, "War has always been good to musicians, we'd probably play a few ditties for the boys." Another guy shrugged and said he'd probably get drunk.

I'm a bit of a peacenik and politically active, but I love when an interviewer doesn't get the canned reply he's fishing for.

I hope Malcolm is doing well.
    Last edited by RJB; 04-15-2014 at 09:55 AM.

First concert I ever saw too.

Heetseeker tour.

I'll never forget when they came on a huge heatseeker missile rose up from the stage and Angus jumped out of it like a madman with a guitar! hahha it was most excellent!

Cinderella opened...man those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
    First concert I ever saw too.

Heetseeker tour.

I'll never forget when they came on a huge heatseeker missile rose up from the stage and Angus jumped out of it like a madman with a guitar! hahha it was most excellent!

Cinderella opened...man those were the days.
    One band I have always wanted to see live but never got the chance. Looks like there will not be an "tomorrow" on this one.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    One band I have always wanted to see live but never got the chance. Looks like there will not be an "tomorrow" on this one.

Ouch...that's a wound that won't easily heal.

I've got a few like that too though...never got to see SRV, and I actually had friends that went to the Alpine Valley show (his last) that had offered me tix. That still stings when I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzan View Post
    Ouch...that's a wound that won't easily heal.

I've got a few like that too though...never got to see SRV, and I actually had friends that went to the Alpine Valley show (his last) that had offered me tix. That still stings when I think about it.
    Got to see SRV at Chastain Park in Atlanta in the late 80s. Fabulous thunderbirds opened for him.For an encore SRV and brother Jimmie played together on the same guitar. Jimmie played rhythm and SRV, standing behind, reached around and played lead. Wow. One of my top concerts ever.

Angus and Malcolm's nephew Stevie Young has played on an AC/DC tour in the past. Many people never knew it wasn't Malcolm. Last I heard that was the plan for the next tour. This is probably about writing new material. They thought Malcolm would be able to write, but it seems that hasn't worked out.

Stevie playing live:

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Got to see SRV at Chastain Park in Atlanta in the late 80s. Fabulous thunderbirds opened for him.For an encore SRV and brother Jimmie played together on the same guitar. Jimmie played rhythm and SRV, standing behind, reached around and played lead. Wow. One of my top concerts ever.
    Excellent! Ya I've seen them do that on youtube.

Buddy of mine saw SRV in Chicago and said he was playing in fairly small venue so he had one of those plexiglass panes sitting in front of his amp to dampen the sound a bit. So in the middle of the show during Voodoo Chile, middle of song he says SRV gets this weird look on his face, then turns around and walks back towards the amp and kicks the pane over...turns back to the crowd with a big smile on his face. Said the crowd went nuts hahah

At their peak, and one of their best, IMO

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-01-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Also one of their best:

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    At their peak, and one of their best, IMO

Ha! Ha! Yes. Frikken bagpipes in a Rock-n-Roll song.

Ha! Ha! Yes. Frikken bagpipes in a Rock-n-Roll song.
    And made it work!

Hope Malcolm recovers.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I liked Bon Scott more than Brian Johnson. But Johnson is an ok singer.

I read rumors that for years and albums after Bonn's death they were still using his songs and lyrics.

Hope Malcolm recovers. They all most be in their 60's now or close right?

I got to see them with Brian. Still a kick ass concert.
    "The Patriarch"

And the band played on...

AC/DC has confirmed founding member Malcolm Young has a "debilitating illness" and cannot continue in the band, but the band has vowed to make new music without him.

Lead singer Brian Johnson, told London's The Telegraph the global rock powerhouse intended to keep its date with a Vancouver recording studio in May, although he did admit a band member had "a debilitating illness".

We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas

Soon after AC/DC released a short statement via its Facebook page confirming the many rumours around Young:

"After 40 years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

"In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time."

Then came the words fans worldwide had been desperate to hear: "The band will continue to make music."
    More:
    http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...=1397690716501
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Certainly the Scott/Johnson comparisons will always be made. I'm just glad that they made Back in Black. One of my all time favorites. Not a bad song on the album.
    Definitely one of the best albums ever. Right up there with Dark Side of the Moon and Sychronicity.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

I got to see them during the Stiff Upper Lip Tour. One of the best concerts ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    And the band played on...
    Good news! Still, I wish Malcolm a full recovery. Strokes can be nasty but with time can be overcome in some cases. My mom has had two of them.

new music from them will be interesting at this point...

looking forward...

i expect Malcolm on stage again in the future..

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    LMAO!

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I liked Bon Scott more than Brian Johnson. But Johnson is an ok singer.

I read rumors that for years and albums after Bonn's death they were still using his songs and lyrics.

Hope Malcolm recovers. They all most be in their 60's now or close right?
    I have heard the demos of Back in Black with Bon Scott singing and they were really cool. Brian Johnson did a good job singing in the early days, but his voice gave out and became a one dimensional scream. The thing I loved about Bon Scott is the range of styles he could execute.

Find the demos of Back in Black.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I have heard the demos of Back in Black with Bon Scott singing and they were really cool. Brian Johnson did a good job singing in the early days, but his voice gave out and became a one dimensional scream. The thing I loved about Bon Scott is the range of styles he could execute.

Find the demos of Back in Black.
    No. Brian Johnson wrote it as a tribute to Bon.

His replacement Brian Johnson recalled to Mojo magazine in 2009 that when the band asked him to write a lyric for this song, "they said, 'it can't be morbid – it has to be for Bon and it has to be a celebration.'" He added: "I thought, 'Well no pressure there, then' (laughs). I just wrote what came into my head, which at the time seemed like mumbo, jumbo. 'Nine lives. Cats eyes. Abusing every one of them and running wild.' The boys got it though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_Black_(song)

Phill was looking for this thread.

I knew I read it was stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Phill was looking for this thread.

I knew I read it was stroke.
    + rep just because ACDC.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast