Thread: Christians for Liberty Conference

Christians for Liberty Conference

It looks like very serious plans for a Christians for Liberty conference are in the works for this Fall. It will be in Austin, TX, and the dates are still being worked out.

See here:
    http://libertarianchristians.com/201...nference-2014/

Also, if there's some possibility that you might go, then fill out the survey here:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/35BQ359

I believe this has the potential to be big and to be worth the trip for people coming from far away if they can manage it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds interesting, I hope to be in Texas by then. Just a question, can Catholics attend?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Sounds interesting, I hope to be in Texas by then. Just a question, can Catholics attend?
    I'm certain of it. In the survey I suggested Tom Woods as a speaker.

If you're interested, check out the Libertarian Christians blog and you'll get a flavor for the kind of people behind it. They also have a Facebook group with a lot of lively discussion on it that's very Catholic friendly. They seem to be pretty diverse within the umbrella of Christianity.

Someone suggest bad quaker as a speaker

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I'm certain of it. In the survey I suggested Tom Woods as a speaker.

If you're interested, check out the Libertarian Christians blog and you'll get a flavor for the kind of people behind it. They also have a Facebook group with a lot of lively discussion on it that's very Catholic friendly. They seem to be pretty diverse within the umbrella of Christianity.
    Thanks, I will check it out.

Bump.

If there's any chance of anyone being able to go any time in August, they really should fill out the survey. You'll get a chance to suggest your preferred dates, as well as other input, including recommended speakers. If we could get Ron Paul to speak there I can imagine that suddenly the conference would become a really big deal.

Just Christians.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Just Christians.
    Correct, also including Mormons.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    Correct, also including Mormons.
    I assume Jehovah's Witnesses are included as well.

I assume Jehovah's Witnesses are included as well.
    That's just crazy talk!
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

I doubt that you have to sign a statement of faith to attend or anything. But I don't think that Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are the intended audience.

Bump.

I'm not sure how much time is left to take the survey. I thought I saw an announcement on Facebook that there were just a few more days to take it, but I can't find that now.

Bump. Looks like the Survey is still open.

The conference is on.

It's scheduled for August 2, in Austin, Texas. You can register your email here:
    http://libertarianchristians.com/cfl/

They'll periodically add updates as they arise.

Wish I could go Thanks for the info, anyway ~hugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Bump.

If there's any chance of anyone being able to go any time in August, they really should fill out the survey. You'll get a chance to suggest your preferred dates, as well as other input, including recommended speakers. If we could get Ron Paul to speak there I can imagine that suddenly the conference would become a really big deal.
    Are you going to report back on the substance of this, e? I'd be curious to hear about it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Registration is now open. The initial list of speakers is as follows:

Dr. David Theroux — Founder and President of the Independent Institute
    Rep. David Simpson — Texas State Representative (R-Longview)
    Dr. Mark Cherry — Professor of Philosophy and Ethics at St. Edwards University
    Dr. Norman Horn — Founder and Editor in Chief of LibertarianChristians.com
    Katelyn Horn — Professional Musician, Author at LibertarianChristians.com
    Jason Rink — Executive Director of the Foundation for a Free Society
    Mike Maharrey — National Communications Director of the Tenth Amendment Center

- See more at: http://libertarianchristians.com/cfl....0NC80BWr.dpuf

The conference schedule has been posted.
    Christians for Liberty Conference Schedule, August 2nd, 2014:
    (Sorry, the table is not displaying nicely in HTML, please bear with us.)
    9:00 a.m. Arrival and Registration / Sign-in, coffee and pastries served
    9:30 Dr. Norman Horn, LibertarianChristians.com, Welcome Remarks
    9:45 Dr. Norman Horn, The Biblical Core of Christian Libertarianism
    10:30 Doug Douma, LibertarianChristians.com
    Libertarianism in the thought of the Calvinist philosopher, Gordon Clark
    11:00 Mike Maharrey, Tenth Amendment Center
    The Intersection of Faith and Politics: A Personal Journey
    11:30 Jason Rink, Foundation for a Free Society
    12:00 p.m. Lunch served, table discussion
    1:00 Keynote: David Theroux, Independent Institute
    C.S. Lewis on Mere Liberty and the Evils of Statism
    2:00 15 minute break
    2:15 Jay Hall, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Marijuana Policy Project Sponsored Speaker
    3:00 Dr. Mark Cherry, St. Edwards University
    Medical Ethics and Family Law in Christian Context
    3:30 Elise Amyx, Institute for Faith, Work & Economics
    Poverty, Charity, and the Free Market
    4:00 Doug Stuart, LibertarianChristians.com
    Stuck in the Middle: How to Reach the Christian Left and Right
    4:30 Jeremy Courtney, Preemptive Love Coalition
    5:15 15 minute break
    5:30 Keynote: Rep. David Simpson, Texas Legislature
    6:30 Dinner served, table discussion
    7:30 Alexander McCobin, Students for Liberty
    Future Thoughts for the Liberty Movement
    8:00 Dr. Norman Horn, Closing Remarks
    8:30 Social at Opal Divines Penn Field (nearby)
    - See more at: http://libertarianchristians.com/201....HbtcSH0a.dpuf

Wow, sounds good, hope I can make it, but I doubt it
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I didn't attend the conference. But here's an article about it.
    http://panampost.com/guillermo-jimen...faux-religion/

Here's the beginning. Read the rest at the link.
    The first ever Christians for Liberty (CFL) Conference took place on Saturday, and it brought together over 100 varied individuals: men and women, young and old, united in their Christian faith and libertarian political philosophy. LibertarianChristians.com (LCC), sponsored in part by Students for Liberty, hosted the event at St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas.

According to Norman Horn, lead organizer and founder of LCC, people came from all over the country, along with at least one visitor from abroad: “For a year-one conference, this is pretty good, especially running on a shoestring budget and basically counting on word of mouth and the ability of just a single website to spread its ideas. This is how we did it.”

David Theroux, founder and president of the Independent Institute, speaking at the Christians for Liberty Conference in Austin, Texas.
    David Theroux, founder and president of the Independent Institute, speaking at the Christians for Liberty Conference in Austin, Texas. (PanAm Post)
    The conference hosted a wide range of speakers who reflected the diversity that exists across the libertarian spectrum. That included Michael Maharrey, national communications director for the Tenth Amendment Center; David Theroux, founder and president of the Independent Institute; Jay Hall, a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP); Texas State Representative David Simpson (R-Longview); and Alexander McCobin of Students for Liberty, among others.

Norman Horn is posting videos of the speeches given at this event on Youtube. You can keep track of them as he does on the Libertarian Christians blog.
    http://www.libertarianchristians.com

Here's another retrospective on the conference.

Three weeks ago, we hosted the first ever Christians for Liberty Conference at St. Edwards University in Austin, Texas. Now that we have had a chance to breathe a little bit, I want to give you a brief report on what happened.
    On Friday night, August 1st, we hosted a panel discussion and ice cream social at the University Avenue Church of Christ. (UA Church is the congregation where I attend and am a part-time minister.) The panel consisted of Lauren Daugherty, Patrick Dixon, Jason Rink, and myself. We discussed how our Christian faith informs our libertarian activities in the local community, and we took questions for about 40 minutes from the attendees on a variety of topics, from dealing with social issues to left-libertarianism!
    Saturday was our main event. Although never explicitly stated, the schedule for the day was divided into three “sessions.” The morning session had a “fundamentals” focus, and included talks such as my Biblical Foundations of Christian Libertarianism and Jason Rink’s American Idol presentation.

After lunch, we had our first keynote talk from David Theroux, President of the Independent Institute, about C.S. Lewis and “mere liberty”. Then, the first afternoon session dealt with targeted issues about liberty and Christian faith, such as the drug war and poverty.
    The final series of talks focused on practical issues. You might say these were of a more “activist” nature, and included LCC author Doug Stuart’s presentation Stuck in the Middle. It culminated with Rep. David Simpson discussing the practical implications of being a liberty-minded Christian. After an incredible barbeque dinner, we heard from Students For Liberty president Alexander McCobin about why he believes it is so important for Christians to understand libertarianism. We then had a splendid social time afterward for those who wanted to stay late and keep the discussion going.
    On Sunday, we convened again at the University Avenue Church of Christ in the afternoon for an open discussion on whatever was on our minds after such a great Saturday conference. We even discussed the upcoming plans to start a regular meetup in Austin for Christian libertarians and encouraged visiting from out of town to prayerfully consider starting their own as well.
    All in all, it was an absolutely incredible weekend and rivals some of the best experiences of my life. Conferences are big commitments for both organizers and attendees, but a well-put together event has a huge payoff. I think all attendees would agree that this first-ever conference was just what we needed to take our movement to the next level. Now, we look forward to putting together the CFL Leadership Team and continuing to build the Christian libertarian movement. Click here for more information about the CFL Leadership Team.
    Here are some of the photos taken from the conference that we have posted to our Facebook page. Please “like” LCC on Facebook as well!
    - See more at: http://libertarianchristians.com/201....B5QfbiAa.dpuf

Just found this video, State Representative David Simpson at the Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.