Thread: What are some of your "back pocket" verses?

What are some of your "back pocket" verses?

I call them my back pocket verses because when I was first saved, I actually carried a piece of paper in my back pocket with several verses on it to help me stay centered on the Word as I learned it. I have so many of them memorized now that I no longer carry them in my back pocket, but I still use them just in the same fashion!

Here is a list of some of my back pocket verses. What are some of yours?

When I needed a reminder to watch my speech!
    Pr 18:21 ¶ Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

This one worked well for total attitude adjustment! LOL
    Ga 5:13 ¶ For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
    Ga 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    Ga 5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
    Ga 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    Ga 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
    Ga 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
    Ga 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    Ga 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    Ga 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    Ga 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    Ga 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    Ga 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    Ga 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

This one for when I was feeling I was having a difficult time loving others
    1Jo 3:14 ¶ We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
    1Jo 3:15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
    1Jo 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
    1Jo 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
    1Jo 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
    1Jo 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
    1Jo 3:20 ¶ For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
    1Jo 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
    1Jo 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
    1Jo 3:23 ¶ And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
    1Jo 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

When I needed help loving others
    Mt 5:43 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
    Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
    Mt 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
    Mt 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
    Mt 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
    Mt 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Learning to love your enemies was no easy task! I needed much help! LOL
    Lu 6:27 ¶ But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
    Lu 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
    Lu 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
    Lu 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
    Lu 6:31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
    Lu 6:32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
    Lu 6:33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
    Lu 6:34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
    Lu 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.
    Lu 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
    Lu 6:37 ¶ Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
    Lu 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

When I was feeling fearful and far from God.
    Ro 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
    Ro 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

When I was feeling fearful, far from God.... And on the PITY POT! LOL
    Ro 8:17 ¶ And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
    Ro 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

When I was having a hard time accepting or understanding my circumstances.
    Ro 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

When I was so upset I couldn't even form words to pray!

Ro 8:26 ¶ Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
    Ro 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

When I was feeling fearful and attacked
    Ro 8:31 ¶ What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

If I was feeling weak or unloved.
    Ro 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
    Ro 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
    Ro 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

When I was feeling weak and insufficient
    2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    2Co 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

And another one for feeling weak
    Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

This one would get me off a Pity Pot quickly!! Reminding me that in our sufferings we have more and more knowledge of Christ.

Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
    Php 3:9 ¶ And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
    Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

If I were feeling discontented with my environment
    Php 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

Another good one for feeling discontented or being tempted with worldly treasures
    1Ti 6:6 ¶ But godliness with contentment is great gain.
    1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
    1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
    1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
    1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Another good one for discontented and fearful
    Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Dealing with fear
    Heb 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Another one for dealing with fear
    2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

A good one for feeling timid with God.
    1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

This verse shows us how powerful our thoughts are and how we need to take control of them
    Pr 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he

This is the result of taking control of our thoughts!
    Isa 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Taking control of our thoughts is the most powerful type of spiritual warfare we can do!
    2Co 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds
    2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

This is one of my favorites! It is what I call Paul's prescription for sanity!
    Php 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
    Php 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
    Php 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
    Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    John 11:26

Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    John 11:26Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread with theological debate, but how in the world can you believe you can lose your salvation in the light of that verse?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

thanks Annie. I like this one;

Romans 8:28 Parallel Verses
    New International Version
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

and this;

Philippians 4:6-8

New King James Version (NKJV)

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

I don't carry any Bible versus around with me but I do have a copy of the Baloney Detection Kit in my wallet. I don't know why. I just do. I could probably recite the thing without it so perhaps don't need the thing technically.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I don't carry any Bible versus around with me but I do have a copy of the Baloney Detection Kit in my wallet. I don't know why. I just do. I could probably recite the thing without it so perhaps don't need the thing technically.
    Is that anything like my Bullshite detector? My detector has become very sensitive in my old age!! LOL
    Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession.
    ~ George Washington

John 11:26

Everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.
    Great verse!! I also have this one in my pocket...... very similar.
    Acts 16:31
    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    ~ George Washington

I keep a word page with quotes I come across that I think are keepers.

This one came to mind.

Outwitted

by Edwin Markham

He drew a circle that shut me out —
    Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win:
    We drew a circle that took him in!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I checked the link on that one! Very interesting! And it IS kinda like my BS detector! I think my BS detector got so sensitive when my kids became teenagers! LOL
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post

This one came to mind.

Outwitted

by Edwin Markham

I really LOVE that one!! It really speaks of the power of love!!
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Annie View Post
    I checked the link on that one! Very interesting! And it IS kinda like my BS detector! I think my BS detector got so sensitive when my kids became teenagers! LOL
    The irony in it is that it's a religion of sorts as well. Scwewy...

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread with theological debate, but how in the world can you believe you can lose your salvation in the light of that verse?
    Because it says that you have to live in Christ and believe in him to "never die." Eternal life is conditioned upon doing that. If you cease doing that, you can die.

So many of the verse you have chosen Miss Annie are also favorites of mine for specific needs. I also keep the 23rd Psalm and Galatians 5 as well as the Beatitudes on my must need list for personal sanity.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post

This one came to mind.

Outwitted

by Edwin Markham

Always loved this
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Because it says that you have to live in Christ and believe in him to "never die." Eternal life is conditioned upon doing that. If you cease doing that, you can die.
    verses?
    Ephesians 2:8-9-

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post

Because "belief" is measured through faith.

Romans 12:3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.

If you lose faith, your belief is lost just the same and faith is then dead without belief. Some have greater faith than others because they walk more closely with the Lord than others do--willingly and through their own choice. They have been called--some willingly answer the call and some will not. Some answer for a time and then fall away.

James 2:17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

We maintain our own belief through our faith---"work of faith" as Paul tells us, which without this work--our faith dies and we can become unbelievers by nothing more than ignoring the Holy Spirit for too long. At some point--only God knows when someone will not repent and return to Him--they are turned over to their own lies permanently. Hebrews 6:4--John 15:5.

The partaker or branch that does not bear fruit is cut off from the true Vine and burned.

.Romans 2:13
    (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;

Romans 3:27
    Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.

1 Thessalonians 1:3
    remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father,
    Last edited by Terry1; 04-14-2014 at 09:07 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Book of Armaments: Chapter 2

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    .Romans 2:13
    (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;
    No one is a doer of the law. This is what Paul says in the very next chapter. To be justified, one must have faith in the One who was a doer of the law, Jesus. When I do this, His righteousness becomes my righteousness. His lawkeeping becomes my lawkeeping.

Romans 3:27
    Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
    Boasting is excluded because we are not justified by our lawkeeping. Boasting is excluded because we are justified by God's grace in choosing (and God gives a man his very faith). How can a Christian boast? Everything that he has was given to him by God.

1 Thessalonians 1:3
    remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father,
    Paul is remembering the Thessalonians' good works that were produced by their faith. God gives a man his faith and his works. Man can't boast (Ephesians 2).

There is nothing in Thessalonians 1:3 that intimates that a man does works to justify hinself. The Thessalonians were already justified.

Every single time you try to infuse your sinful, man-made religion into the text of Scripture, Scripture itself casts you down to the pits from where you came.

What are some of your "back pocket" verses?
    Somehow, someone misread this to be "What are some of your "back pocket" verses "to fight about?"

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Somehow, someone misread this to be "What are some of your "back pocket" verses "to fight about?"
    You can always guess who the people are who will always hijack a thread.