Thread: QUIZ: How well do you know grammatical terminology?

QUIZ: How well do you know grammatical terminology?

h/t LRC: http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/04/n...-your-grammar/

You can take the quiz at LRC or at the links below.
    I got 7 out of 10 correct (70%). I missed questions 2, 4 & 7 (I guessed on 2 & 7, and just flat-out got 4 wrong).

How well do you know your grammatical terminology?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...rminology.html
    Josie Gurney-Read (11 April 2014)

Subject or object, past perfect or present? Recognising grammatical terms in English could make foreign language learning easier. Test your knowledge

Mobile users check out the quiz here: http://kateday.polldaddy.com/s/how-good-is-your-grammar
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Scored 90%; got #7 wrong. I'm pretty good at grammar, mainly because it helps to know English grammar when studying foreign languages.
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

40%.

Probably why I end up editing a majority of my posts.

I go off of how it sounds and looks. I was never very good on grammar.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

um.. failed - another 40%er here. This result reflects my healthy disrespect of the grammar police and my dislike for attaching labels to things.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I gave up by q3.

Don't need no stinking grammar. Give me blueprints instead. Electrical 1 line plans. That's my language.

Wow! Must work on this. Only 50% here...

Hangs head...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Yeah, 50% here too
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

60%
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    Scored 90%; got #7 wrong. I'm pretty good at grammar, mainly because it helps to know English grammar when studying foreign languages.
    The author of the article that accompanies the quiz was saying exactly the same thing. FTA:
    I have little doubt that if I had come across these terms in English first, I wouldn't have been half so daunted by [French] grammar. [...]

Obviously, much of what we know in English becomes second nature as we learn the language, meaning there is, arguably, little need to know the grammatical terminology. However, I can't help thinking that foreign language learning would have been easier if our teacher hadn't had to teach the basics in English first.

I'm completely unfamiliar with most of those grammatical terms. In fact, I've only heard of two or three of them in all of my schooling thru college.

Last time I really pd attention to any grammar was probably 25 yrs ago . I got 30 %