Thread: Sen. Mike Lee endorses Chad Mathis in AL-06

Sen. Mike Lee endorses Chad Mathis in AL-06

http://yellowhammernews.com/national...es-al-06-race/
    Sen. Mike Lee, R-UT, one of the most prominent tea partiers in the U.S. Senate, jumped into the action in Alabama’s 6th Congressional District race on Wednesday by endorsing Dr. Chad Mathis.

“Winning this election year requires a plan, and I don’t just mean having a campaign plan,” said Lee. “We need a plan for America’s future, to get things back on track, and enact the reforms that will restore the greatness of our country. We need a plan to promote economic freedom, reduce burdens on American taxpayers, and — above all — a plan to repeal ObamaCare. That’s why I am excited to announce my support for Dr. Chad Mathis running for the House of Representatives in the sixth district of Alabama.”

On Wednesday evening, Yellowhammer caught up with Sen. Lee by phone to get more of his thoughts on the AL-06 race and why he thinks Mathis is the man for the job.

“I tend to get involved where I find a candidate who takes the approach that I take to governing, which is one rooted in Constitutional conservatism,” Lee told Yellowhammer. “Chad Mathis, in addition to being a successful surgeon and businessman, is a Constitutional conservative. He shares my view that the best way to get rid of ObamaCare is replace it with better solutions.”

Lee said he liked Mathis’ recently-released 12-point plan to repeal and replace ObamaCare, which he said consists of “patient-centered reforms that put decisions back in the hands of doctors and patients.”

Lee said he first met Mathis last summer at an event where he was the keynote speaker. They have spoken several times since then, both in Washington, D.C. and over the phone.

“We’ve had numerous conversations about his views,” Lee said. “I feel very confident in Dr. Mathis’ candidacy.”
    Dr. Chad Mathis, Republican candidate in Alabama's 6th Congressional District
    Dr. Chad Mathis, Republican candidate in Alabama’s 6th Congressional District

Yellowhammer asked Lee about the rift — whether real or perceived — in the Republican Party between the so-called “establishment” and the Tea Party, and how he thought that was playing out in Alabama’s 6th Congressional District race.

“Look, it’s important to remember that there’s a natural tension that exists within any political party — the tension between the base of the movement and the senior-level management, or elected leadership.” Lee explained. “Right now I think that tension has certainly been noticeable and has created a hole in the party that is exactly the size and shape of a conservative reform agenda that focuses on how best to help enhance upward economic mobility by applying conservative policies. The rift that you’re describing is one that can be treated effectively when we come together as a party behind a conservative reform agenda that focuses on how it can help the poor and middle class. Chad is one of those candidates who understands that connection. He’s conservative not in spite of his compassion, but because of it.”

Lee did not get into specifics about how Mathis compared to other candidates in the race, or about the conservative credentials — or lack thereof — of any of his competitors, choosing instead to focus his comments on Mathis.

“My endorsement is about him,” Lee said of Mathis. “I think he’s the best man for the job. He has been successful in business and the practice of medicine. The kind of common sense conservatism he would bring to Washington, in addition to his reform-minded approach, is exactly what we need.”

Lee grabbed the spotlight this week with an op-ed in National Review, which was later featured in the Wall St. Journal, that laid out his view that Republicans should “take a stand against corporate welfare” and communicate their vision in a way that resonates with working folks.

Lee complimented Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions Wednesday night for the way he has advocated for free-market reforms over tax loopholes, government subsidies and bailouts, and said that approach is one that the party as a whole should gravitate toward to rid itself of the stigma that its in bed with big business.

“That’s exactly the kind of messaging that will help overcome that problem,” Lee said.

As for Mathis’ election chances, Lee was optimistic.

“I hope and expect that he will win his primary,” he said confidently. “I look forward to working with him.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.