Thread: MI-8 Race: Tom McMillin needs Petition Signatures

MI-8 Race: Tom McMillin needs Petition Signatures

Tom needs petition signatures and it sounds like he's going to be all in with Hune not running. Does anyone live in MI-8 or close by? If you think you can get just a few signatures PM me and I'll get you in contact with Tom so he can send you some petitions.

Here are the MI-8 counties and cities for reference:

Ingham County – all // Livingston County – all

Oakland County (part): Addison Township // Brandon Township // Fenton city (Oakland county portion only) // Groveland Township // Holly Township // Independence Township // Oakland Township // Orion Township // Oxford Township // Rochester city // Rochester Hills city (all except south west corner) // Rose Township // Springfield Township // Village of Clarkston city

Mike Bishop and Bryan Barnett (Rochester Hills Mayor) are the two declared GOP opponents I believe.

I plan on heading to the Rochester area this weekend and try to collect them door-to-door. I like door-to-door since I'll know they're a registered voter (I'm using a voter list), but is there a better way?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Could always hang out at libraries or supermarkets but your % rate will likely be higher going to registered voters houses, esp republicans. Once this thing gets kicked into higher gear, this is another win the primary=winning the Congressional seat for all the outsiders looking in. ehem, money. This is a prime opportunity to kick the establishment in the nuts and swipe a formerly high profile seat in this MI delegation FTW.
    Last edited by FSP-Rebel; 04-10-2014 at 12:38 PM.

There's a small YAL group at Lansing Community College (in MI-08). They post a lot on Facebook so if you contact them there, you might get a fast response:

https://www.facebook.com/yallansing
    Last edited by tsai3904; 04-10-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Well I went to collect signatures today. Pretty disappointing! I got 4 signatures! (lol ) Here's my vent/post-mortem that can maybe help others in the future.

I walked around a strong Republican precinct (this precinct went 60% Romney) and visited over 60 homes of Republican primary voters over the course of 2 hours. Only 20 people answered the door, which I expected. What I didn't expect is practically everyone refused to sign.

These are my theories:

1) No one knows what's going on with the 8th Congressional district and they don't want to sign their name to something they don't understand.
    2) They don't know who Tom is (even though he's their State rep).
    3) Door-to-door is the worst method for collecting nominating petitions.
    4) They know Tom but don't support him.

I hope it's not #4, because he's going to have a real uphill battle in this race. I think it's mostly #1 since the timing is such short notice and the mainstream/local news hasn't really covered it that much. I also tried a busy street corner near a shopping center and the college for a little bit, but wasn't getting much foot traffic. I hear the best way has been public events, particularly those at senior centers.

We can only hope Bishop is having just as hard of a time collecting signatures. I hope others were more successful than me. I have no idea how many signatures Tom has already but he would like to have enough by the 19th.
    Last edited by EBounding; 04-12-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Are there any gun ranges, senior centers, etc. where conservatives tend to to hang out?

I think he may have a better chance running for state senate. There are a lot of noteworthy candidates that will split the vote, and I could see his liberty & christian conservative support put McMillin over the top for that race.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    I think he may have a better chance running for state senate. There are a lot of noteworthy candidates that will split the vote, and I could see his liberty & christian conservative support put McMillin over the top for that race.
    Definitely. Rocky and Knollenberg will take votes away from each other as people flip a coin to make their choice.

I don't think Tom has withdrawn from the State Senate race yet, but even with Hune not running I think he should have secured the petitions first before making an official announcement. It'd look bad if he can't get enough valid signatures and flips back to the state senate race. But I know that you need to get fundraising going ASAP, so hopefully the petitions won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Definitely. Rocky and Knollenberg will take votes away from each other as people flip a coin to make their choice.

I don't think Tom has withdrawn from the State Senate race yet, but even with Hune not running I think he should have secured the petitions first before making an official announcement. It'd look bad if he can't get enough valid signatures and flips back to the state senate race. But I know that you need to get fundraising going ASAP, so hopefully the petitions won't be an issue.
    My insider contacts who were Hune supporters think that McMillin will have the signatures.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Signatures are in. Three candidates have filed here. Bryan Barnett, Mike Bishop, and Tom McMillin. Tom is in.