Thread: [Video] A conversation with Rand Paul at UofChicago Institute of Politics 4/22/14

[Video] A conversation with Rand Paul at UofChicago Institute of Politics 4/22/14

update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjY8Wwt9uZI

--

Rand Paul hits UofChicago Institute of Politics this month

NATASHA KORECKI
    WED, 04/09/2014 - 2:12PM

Tea Party darling and possible Republican presidential contender Rand Paul lands in Chicago this month to talk at the University of Chicago's Institute of Politics.

The U.S. Senator from Kentucky who is increasingly one of the top politicians to watch in the nation will headline an event at the Institute on April 22. Paul just grabbed headlines after an old clip surfaced where he accused former Vice President Dick Cheney of pushing for a war in Iraq to benefit Halliburton.

At an event at the Institute of Politics on Tuesday, Politico president and CEO Jim VandeHei called Paul the most interesting GOP politician today.

"If there’s one Republican politician to pay attention to right now, I’d say he’s the most interesting Republican politician out there, not necessarily because of his ideology but just because he’s the one person who occasionally surprises you," VandeHei said. "And he has an interesting sense of timing and an interesting sense of, I think, what people are thinking below the age of 40.”

http://politics.suntimes.com/article...04092014-212pm
    Last edited by jct74; 04-22-2014 at 08:42 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Potential GOP presidential contender Paul pushing school choice in Chicago visit

By Rick Pearson
    Clout Street
    4:54 p.m. CDT, April 18, 2014

As he considers a 2016 run for the Republican presidential nomination, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul acknowledges the GOP must go beyond its base and find ways to grow support or it will be unable to elect a national standard bearer.

On Tuesday, Paul comes to Chicago as part of a two-day Midwest push for school choice, attending a forum co-sponsored by the conservative Illinois Policy Institute at Josephinum Academy, an all-female Catholic high school in Wicker Park.

Paul’s visit to traditionally Democratic Chicago, along with a similar stop the next day in Milwaukee, is an attempt to advocate for an issue that he said he believes resonates with voters in major cities.

“I think our party is not big enough to win national elections unless we are able to do something different. We have to realize that what we have put forward in the past is not attracting a large-enough body of voters,” Paul said.

“So I’m a big believer that we need to go after issues like education, like school choice, and look to come to the larger cities. Chicago would be one city where we (Republicans) haven’t done very well,” he said. “So we need to really look to bring in a new message to new people if we want to have a chance.”

read more:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/p...,1826825.story

speaking at a school choice event, then University of Chicago later in day.

Last edited by jct74; 04-22-2014 at 02:28 PM.

starts in about a half hour (4 pm CT, 5 pm ET).

you can watch here or here.

Thanks jct74 for the links. I missed the first 20 minutes but was able to catch the rest.

Wow...forums like this are awesome for Rand. I doubt any other politician on the national stage could talk about the range of issues that Rand covered with the ease that he was able to discuss them. He is so well rounded. I think his performance in this kind of forum completely neuters anyone who wants to label him as "extreme" on anything. He come across as totally real, reasonable, and sane.

Just missed it, any toobz guys?
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

No video of the whole event available?

Just woke up. Where is the tube?

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    +rep, gonna go watch this now

Rand killed it. He has a mastery over all these issues and there were quite a lot of them discussed, and he looked totally comfortable doing it, with Axelrod of all people. This should be shown to anyone, especially on the left, who thinks Rand is a fringe nut.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Rand killed it. He has a mastery over all these issues and there were quite a lot of them discussed, and he looked totally comfortable doing it, with Axelrod of all people. This should be shown to anyone, especially on the left, who thinks Rand is a fringe nut.
    +1, this was pretty fantastic. He was facing an extremely hostile interviewer and audience, and he handled every single question in ways that I think were expertly crafted to convince people to change their minds and agree with him. Would happily recommend this to anyone on the liberal left, neocon/social conservative right, or libertarian center (i.e. not anarchists - they'll probably hate it).

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They covered a lot of topics that traditionally divide D's and R's. He handled the abortion questions well- Axelrod tried to nail him down on a position, so he gave his position, but he implied that it didn't really matter what his beliefs were, that the American people will ultimately determine the policy on this issue.

He was pretty good on immigration, consistent with things he has said in the past, and took some time to explain his votes.

When he talked about passing bad legislation, I like that he says "we passed ..." instead of "they passed ..."

The Groucho Marx thing, he got out of it all right, could have been worse.

Great interview. I don't know how somebody with a somewhat open mind can watch/listen to that and not think Rand is reasonable person and man of the people.

I can just imagine axelrod calling some dnc henchmen after that interview and saying, "guys, we're in trouble."

Geez that president dude was annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The Groucho Marx thing, he got out of it all right, could have been worse.
    Hm? That is a Groucho quote (at least according to the internet http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...mar146422.html ). Not seeing the issue with it?
    Last edited by whoisjohngalt; 04-23-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Rand Paul is trending on twitter today, apparently from all the stories spawned from this interview...

Axelrod has really bought into bulk surveillance ... erm, bulk collection.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't know how somebody with a somewhat open mind
    Robots can't have open minds, and most people behave like stupid robots.