Thread: The True Costs Of GMO Labeling

The True Costs Of GMO Labeling

will be billions and billions. The call for labeling isn't about labeling - it is about banning technology/

A farmer's blog discussing crop storage: http://thefoodiefarmer.blogspot.com/...-labeling.html

So 2013 produced roughly 23.5 billion bushels of 26 different grains and seeds, including those already in some form of identity preservation protocol, and have storage capacity of 23.6 billion bushels... without the extra infrastructure to segregate "GMO" from "nonGMO". To segregate, additional infrastructure would be required along the entire food supply chain from farm gate to grain elevator to processor to manufacturer, in order to separate corn, soybeans, and canola.

A new grain bin cost approximately $2/bushel to buy and install, so a 50,000 bushel bin will cost $100,000. If we currently have sufficient storage for commingled grains and seeds, what will be the astronomical figure to segregate them by trait? That answer is dependent on how we are going to segregate. In order to have true traceability, GMO seeds and grains would have to be segregated by trait, so RoundUp ready traited grains would have to be segregated from Bt traited grains, and the stacked or combined traited grains would have to be segregated from those that are just Bt or just RoundUp Ready, and the combinations of traited grains would have to be segregated by the combination or stack of traits in the seeds too, because otherwise, you don't have "truth in labeling" to say which GMO is in the product.

I mean surely, we need to label it by GMO trait right? because otherwise "we don't know". This is the premise by which the activists say is the problem right? The uncertainty of GMO? We can't commingle traited seeds and grains because then we no longer have truetraceability. Absolute and utter segregation by trait or combination thereof is required to meet the demands of what is being called for in the GMO labeling legislation across the U.S.

True GMO labeling will require vast capitalization of infrastructure to segregate grains and seeds by trait. (Read $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).

And I've only been talking about the costs of grain storage. I can't even begin the fathom the costs that it would take to segregate all along the entire food supply chain, keeping GMO corn, soybean or canola ingredients segregated by trait from conventional counterparts from the farm to the processor to manufacturer. We're talking billions of dollars in order to maintain the absolute traceability of a certain genetic trait in a seed from farm to final product.

Those who say GMO labeling won't add to the consumer's grocery bill need to go back to Economics 101 and some basic high school math.

True traceability in our food supply system will be hugely expensive.
    Which goes to the crux of the matter - this isn't about labeling, as I cited in my last GMO blog, labeling is a means to an end. As noted by many activist groups, the ulterior motive behind labeling is not about a consumer's right to know, it is about banning the technology.

Say NO to mandatory GMO labeling. Stand for science.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An off topic example of something similar:
    I and a few other fishing boats used to buy diesel fuel from a small outfit way out in the country with 2 tanker trucks that carried 6,000 gallons apiece.They sold it for a nickel/gal.less than I could get it elsewhere,even though they were 40 miles away from where I needed it and the closest place was <1/4 mile away.They were hard working hustlers.

I usually needed between 8,000-10,000 gallons so they would bring both trucks and sell 500 gallons to this gas station,800 gallons there on the way home.

About ~25 years ago,the government started requiring red dye in tax-free diesel,not only could they not sell to customers on the way home,they couldn't afford to fill one truck 1/3-1/2 full to service the small customer base of little gas stations wanting to top off their tanks that far away from where they were located,so they had to end a mutually profitable arrangement that had existed for years.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Say NO to mandatory GMO labeling.
    I am for GMO labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I am for GMO labeling.
    Yeah, me too. It's a violation of basic human rights for politicians to get together with these industries and legislate in a manner that forces people to consume their concoctions blindingly. The op is a load of hogwash anyhow. We've already been over this elsewhere here. I need to start subscribing to my own stuff, I suppose, because when I need it, it's buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I am for GMO labeling.

How should it be paid for?