Thread: A woman who lives in the past: the 1930s, to be exact

A woman who lives in the past: the 1930s, to be exact

By Ilyce R. Glink
    April 3, 2014

n a small apartment in the modern center of Amsterdam, Jo Hedwig Teeuwisse parties like it’s 1938.

The owner of a historical consultancy company, Teeuwisse, 41, lives her work, forgoing most modern belongings and conveniences of the 21st century in favor of a life straight out of the 1930s.

“The only modern thing I have in my house is my computer; I need it for my work,” she said. “I also have a modern fridge, but only because I haven’t found a nice 1930s one yet and they no longer deliver ice for ice boxes.”

Click here or on a photo to see a slideshow.

Teeuwisse’s obsession with the era began when she was a little girl growing up in the 1970s. She was surrounded by the decade’s aesthetic and thought, even then, that the style was, well, ugly. To find something more pleasing to her eye, she began collecting old things, first from the 1950s, then earlier as she explored history.

Continued...

I definitely could have lived in the 40s.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

Me too.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 04-08-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post

Me too.

Nice.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Not me, I like air conditioning, washing machines and yoga pants too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    They had all of that back then. The air conditioners used R-22, the washers weren't really as good yet and didn't have permanent press cycles, but new automatics were on the market, and yoga pants would get you laughed at in public.

I'm with the lady described in the OP. The exception would be the computer and the net connection. Maybe I should design an art deco monitor and keyboard. Could be a market there...
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

LOL! Oh the luxuries. Still I'd would be okay without them. My grandmother had a washer in the 40s.

I'm going to start wearing chainmail.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

The cars were built like tanks, back then.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pretty cool! I could enjoy doing something like this. Looks like she also owns an OES with tail as it looks quite a bit like one of my pups. I have many antiques from that era as things were made of much better quality then.

acptulsa: Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald AWESOME!!! Now that is music. It is what my father raised me to appreciate.

Oh and cannot forget the fantabulous Louis Armstrong.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

The cars were built like tanks, back then.
    The toasters were built like tanks back then.

Thank God. When your toaster looks like this...

...you want it to last forever.

I love the fashion of that age.

I'll take Lindy Hop dancing anyday...

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

They had all of that back then. The air conditioners used R-22, the washers weren't really as good yet and didn't have permanent press cycles, but new automatics were on the market, and yoga pants would get you laughed at in public.

I'm with the lady described in the OP. The exception would be the computer and the net connection. Maybe I should design an art deco monitor and keyboard. Could be a market there...
    Oh I would buy it for sure if someone considered form as well as function with computers.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

I would be satisfied living with 30's technology. They had cars, radios and telephones. Life was good.

The funny thing is all these liberals are running around like headless chickens trying to convince twentysomethings that mass transit is cool and they should use it.

They'd fight each other for a place in line to board this:

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    I'm going to start wearing chainmail.
    If you have lower back problems it is gonna suck. Been there done it. Over rated.

this post is sexy. i love this woman. bring her to me.