Thread: What the Rand Paul vs. Dick Cheney kerfuffle says about Republican soul searching

What the Rand Paul vs. Dick Cheney kerfuffle says about Republican soul searching

What the Rand Paul vs. Dick Cheney kerfuffle says about Republican soul searching
    Paul and Cheney are trading barbs, but today's GOP is clearly on Team Paul

By Peter Weber | 11:28am ET

On Monday, Mother Jones published a video from April 2009 of now-Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) talking like the most liberal of Democrats. Speaking to a group of college Republicans a few weeks before announcing his run for Senate, Paul strongly suggests that former Vice President Dick Cheney used the 9/11 attacks as a pretext for invading Iraq so that he and Halliburton, the oil-services company he led before joining the Bush administration, would profit. The relevant part starts at the 6:30 mark:

It's a remarkable accusation from a current Republican officeholder, but what's more interesting is the lack of outrage on the right, at least from anybody not named Cheney. In fact, the Paul video — and a recording (also via Mother Jones) made last week of Dick Cheney criticizing "isolationists" in the GOP — is getting a lot more attention on the left. (See the MSNBC interview below)

Sure, there is some pushback from the hawkish wing of the Republican Party — arguing "that Cheney’s role amounted to treachery for personal gain.... might fly at a MoveOn.org confab, but it will not be appreciated in conservative circles, no matter what GOP voters’ views on Iraq may be," says Jennifer Rubin at The Washington Post. But Paul hasn't felt compelled to apologize to Cheney (yet, at least), and in fact most of the concern about Paul's 2016 presidential prospects seems to be coming from liberals like Salon's Alex Pareene and MSNBC's Chris Matthews.

read more:
    http://theweek.com/article/index/259...soul-searching
    Last edited by jct74; 04-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But Paul hasn't felt compelled to apologize to Cheney (yet, at least), and in fact most of the concern about Paul's 2016 presidential prospects seems to be coming from liberals like Salon's Alex Pareene and MSNBC's Chris Matthews.
    Exactly. Like I said before, I feel as if Randal should just ride it out and refuse to comment on 5 year old news.

Here's the thing - I've been screaming to all online "why do we let the LEFT LEANING media tell us who to nominate??" It worked oh so well in 2008 and 2012! (Only a moderate can win!) Almost every conservative agrees, the left tells us to nominate a moderate because they know they can beat democrat-lite.

So this could be used to get your right wing friends riled up as well.

If the left leaning media is attacking him, why? What are they so afraid of? Why change positions from hating Cheney to defending him? THINK people!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Here's the thing - I've been screaming to all online "why do we let the LEFT LEANING media tell us who to nominate??" It worked oh so well in 2008 and 2012! (Only a moderate can win!) Almost every conservative agrees, the left tells us to nominate a moderate because they know they can beat democrat-lite.

So this could be used to get your right wing friends riled up as well.

If the left leaning media is attacking him, why? What are they so afraid of? Why change positions from hating Cheney to defending him? THINK people!
    Left/right doesn't exist. I think they are afraid because he is already winning, and just has to stay the course.

Rand is #1 on a religious site that went Santorum last round, and is becoming even more popular with Democrats as we speak.

The truth is coming out and will come out, but the jerk who points out how gullible/guilty Republicans were about the wars won't win a popularity contest with them. I don't think Rand should address this unless it becomes necessary.
    Last edited by dinosaur; 04-08-2014 at 02:28 PM.

I can't wait until election season...if there is such a thing. Seems the 2016 elections started in 2013.

What "kerfuffle"? Someone just wrote a new article on a five-year-old quote that wasn't supposed to be a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina4libert View Post
    I can't wait until election season...if there is such a thing. Seems the 2016 elections started in 2013.
    More like the day after election day 2012. In fact, the Rubio hype was already going on before the election.
    Stop believing stupid things

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Exactly. Like I said before, I feel as if Randal should just ride it out and refuse to comment on 5 year old news.
    You have a point. He said what he said. If people want to hear what he said they can watch his video. I have no problem with him not commenting but I will have a problem if he tries to distance himself from what he said or backtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by jtap View Post
    You have a point. He said what he said. If people want to hear what he said they can watch his video. I have no problem with him not commenting but I will have a problem if he tries to distance himself from what he said or backtrack.
    Aren't you proud of him for saying it though?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknownuser View Post
    Agree. I'll keep saying this so it sinks in:

If you [general you] hope to be a delegate for Rand in 2016, get involved NOW. Look up your county's GOP information and ask how you can get involved. There are booths to be manned, parades to be walked, calls to be made, etc. You don't have to support statists. Surely you have at least ONE local GOP official you can support. Find him/her and be on their team. Wear their shirts.

BE on the "team" as much as possible NOW so when the time comes in 2 years you're not seen as an outsider who only gives a crap once every 4 years. That's not the way to do it!!!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
    Aren't you proud of him for saying it though?
    Absolutely. That's why I'd be so disappointed if he tried to distance himself from it or backtrack now that more people are seeing the remarks.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    The fact that Rand has such great crossover appeal from Republican to Democrats to Independents is a major problem for the enemies of Rand and they are rightfully concerned.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    The fact that Rand has such great crossover appeal from Republican to Democrats to Independents is a major problem for the enemies of Rand and they are rightfully concerned.
    Exactly. The left is pushing this so much because they wish Obama or Hillary would have said it, but neither of them did. So they like to suggest that it's going to hurt Rand to say it. But I don't think Republicans remember George Bush too fondly these days, and the sentiment for Dick Cheney is even lower.

Quote Originally Posted by boneyard bill View Post
    Exactly. The left is pushing this so much because they wish Obama or Hillary would have said it, but neither of them did. So they like to suggest that it's going to hurt Rand to say it. But I don't think Republicans remember George Bush too fondly these days, and the sentiment for Dick Cheney is even lower.
    Hillary can't say it, because she voted for the original AUMF, I think John Kerry and Biden did as well.

He could set neoconservatism back to the Stone Age if he handles this right. I don't want to see him back away from this, nor do I want to hear him apologize.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Hillary can't say it, because she voted for the original AUMF, I think John Kerry and Biden did as well.
    You are correct; they all did.