Thread: Next Generation Solar Cells to be 100 Million Times More Efficient

Next Generation Solar Cells to be 100 Million Times More Efficient

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When scientists say "near future", what they really mean is "decades away".
    Last edited by Nolan; 04-06-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Let's hope . . .
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Article commenter already hit my point....
    The title is incorrect. Efficiency may not exceed 100%. If photovoltaic cells were to improve in efficiency by a factor of 100 million and not exceed 100%, they would have to be at most 0.000001% efficient. In fact, modern photovoltaic cells are over 20% efficient. Thereforethey can improve at most by a factor of about 5

If scientists demonstrated the same attention to detail as web article authors, we'd still be banging rocks together to make fire.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Several typos in that article, very amateur.

Solar cells made of these materials are solution processable, which means they do not require expensive equipment to produce yet still vastly increase the conductivity within the cell.

"We have found that the resulting nano networks possess exceptional ability to transport charges, up to 100 million times higher than previously measured carbon nanotube random networks produced by conventional methods," Barbero said.
    Sounds like they are talking about the conductivity of the material, not it's efficiency in generating (transforming) energy. Wonder if this would be classified as a "super-conductor"? Not enough details in the article. Superconducting materials are key to more efficient energy storage and delivery.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-08-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Yea but will they cost a million times more too? Probably big oil will buy the technology...

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

If scientists demonstrated the same attention to detail as web article authors, we'd still be banging rocks together to make fire.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Haha! +rep

That's what I feel like when I read print and web articles related to what I study. Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with photovoltaics.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Several typos in that article, very amateur.

Sounds like they are talking about the conductivity of the material, not it's efficiency in generating (transforming) energy. Wonder if this would be classified as a "super-conductor"? Not enough details in the article. Superconducting materials are key to more efficient energy storage and delivery.
    Here's a better article http://phys.org/news/2014-01-solar-c...gh-energy.html

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

If scientists demonstrated the same attention to detail as web article authors, we'd still be banging rocks together to make fire.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    No,it simply means that they would be twenty million percent efficient.

I bet you work for Big Oil.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.