Thread: Consumer tip: Finish Powerball is gross and destructive

Consumer tip: Finish Powerball is gross and destructive

So I got a new dishwasher for my birthday. Something happened to my old one. There was a terrible brown staining inside that started in January. It was like 20 years old and falling apart anyway, so I got a good deal on a new one, and it came with a free sample of Finish Powerball, which I have been using for years.

I continued to use the Finish, and every time I ran a load, I had to clean this orange foam from the bottom of the dishwasher. That was new. I never had to do that before.

I thought it might be from the Finish Powerball, so I bought some Cascade Complete. Ran it once with the Cascade, and no more orange foam. I shudder to think of the residue we were ingesting all those years.

I did an internet search and I was not the only one with the problems. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home...detergent.html People talked about how that stuff ruined their dishwashers as it did mine (seems like that staining started early this year for them too), ruined pans, plates, and left a white chalky substance on their nylon and plastics that cannot be scrubbed off (I had this problem too).

I don't know if it has something to do with the ecoNazis outlawing phosphates or what.

Someone mentioned that there must be millions in dollars of damage caused by that crap. And this is the product that manufacturers give away with a new appliance purchase.

Don't use it. It's gross and destructive.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I can tell you my story:

About 4 years ago I was having severe gastro problems. Most of the time, I eat at home, make my own things from scratch and couldn't figure out what was ailing me. A friend of mine came over and we were in the kitchen talking while I was putting my dirty dishes in the dishwasher and she saw me put some Cascade in the dispenser. She commented, that she had gastro problems a few years back and linked it to the chemical residue left from Cascade. Which I did not consider.

At any rate, I asked her what did she use and she told me Seventh Generation. So, I went to the grocery store and bought some because I wanted to see if trying something different would help me. Lo and behold within a couple of weeks I didn't have the extreme pains in my stomach they simply went away. I haven't touched commercial dishwashing detergents since.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I rarely buy any of that kind of stuff, I just use a couple of drops of Dawn, and vinegar in the rinse aid department. Sometimes I throw a little baking soda and salt in there and if I have any lemon peels from coking, I put those in the silverware basket (they make your dishwasher smell good).

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Well I can tell you my story:

About 4 years ago I was having severe gastro problems. Most of the time, I eat at home, make my own things from scratch and couldn't figure out what was ailing me. A friend of mine came over and we were in the kitchen talking while I was putting my dirty dishes in the dishwasher and she saw me put some Cascade in the dispenser. She commented, that she had gastro problems a few years back and linked it to the chemical residue left from Cascade. Which I did not consider.

At any rate, I asked her what did she use and she told me Seventh Generation. So, I went to the grocery store and bought some because I wanted to see if trying something different would help me. Lo and behold within a couple of weeks I didn't have the extreme pains in my stomach they simply went away. I haven't touched commercial dishwashing detergents since.
    Thanks. I got a small package of Cascade just to test it out, but I don't need that trouble either!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I rarely buy any of that kind of stuff, I just use a couple of drops of Dawn, and vinegar in the rinse aid department. Sometimes I throw a little baking soda and salt in there and if I have any lemon peels from coking, I put those in the silverware basket (they make your dishwasher smell good).
    Good idea!
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Thanks. I got a small package of Cascade just to test it out, but I don't need that trouble either!

Good idea!
    Just a few drops of Dawn, if you add too much, you have a mess...trust me.

Oh I know! My brother filled the soap dispenser with liquid detergent once back when we were teenagers. Suds everywhere! LOL I've used it in a pinch. Manufacturers don't recommend it though, IIRC because it might gum up the works. Your vinegar might make the difference there!
    --Albert J. Nock

Wow, this is incredible information. If you do use the Cascade or Finish, doesn't the heat cycle of the dishwasher clear all residue? I'm like you guys, no processed foods in this household ... and IBS present. I have been using Finish for years now ... Will give Seventh Generation a try. I'm afraid to use the Dawn dish detergent; although tempting. But I'm sure I will be the first to add one drop to many and the entire home will be surrounded in bubble bath.

It also doesn't clean as well as Seventh Generation dish detergent. The Finish Powerball detergent left (soap residue?) streaks on my stem glasses and glass mixing bowl. I think this is because it takes longer to release than the conventional liquid kind you pour out of a bottle, so the soap was still releasing when the dishwasher was near the final rinse cycle.
    Last edited by I<3Liberty; 04-06-2014 at 09:05 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I run my washer with the extra rinse cycle to help wash away any residue
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Cascade worked fine for me for decades. A while back I started noticing the dishes had spots and looked greasy.

Then I heard on fark that the government had the soap manufacturers take out the phosphates. Apparently they said okay and took them out. The phosphates were and important part of the soap. Without it it quit working. They had to know. Maybe they just weren't given time to do anything about it.

Apparently they were concerned about the phosphates running into the ocean and causing algae to bloom. You know, the stuff that makes oxygen. Well one of the things.

Consumer tip: Finish Powerball is gross and destructive
    I read this headline a couple of times before the OP, suspecting a misspelling, and kept thinking:

"What has she got against Finland's lottery?"