Thread: Recommend Antivirus Software for me

Recommend Antivirus Software for me

I need a new antivirus software for my PC.

McAfee expires in 2 days. I know how bad they suck. Don't bother telling me.

But what should I replace it with?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ESET NOD 32 seems to have a good reputation. I wonder if anyone else has an opinion on it.

I'm doing the Linux thing so viruses haven't bothered me.

Christianity. The perfect antivirus against the viruses of worldliness, self-righteousness, false religion, and eternal damnation. (Romans 1:16-17.)
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Christianity. The perfect antivirus against the viruses of worldliness, self-righteousness, false religion, and eternal damnation. (Romans 1:16-17.)
    No thanks. I've heard of christians getting viruses. I want something better that actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    ESET NOD 32 seems to have a good reputation. I wonder if anyone else has an opinion on it.

Woooo it's expensive. But only $10 more than what I have so.... it might work for me.

Looking for more suggestions. I guarantee I'll buy something suggested here.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    No thanks. I've heard of christians getting viruses. I want something better that actually works.
    More seriously, I use AVG, which works pretty well for avoiding computer viruses. It won't help your soul though (BTW: I've never heard of a Christian getting a computer virus)
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Fr33 you should also look at MalwareBytes.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Woooo it's expensive. But only $10 more than what I have so.... it might work for me.

Looking for more suggestions. I guarantee I'll buy something suggested here.
    Linux is Free,, (though many will accept donations)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are ya' on a Windoz machine?

I ran Kaspersky for years.........Now I use the free stuff from Microsoft...

Avast has served me well for years.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Win7/64 IE Kaspersky (KIS) here. :-)

Only problem (not sure of its source though) is while I'm on RPF,
    my keyboard/mouse text entry is all jazzed up (on different two PCs).

Fr33 you should also look at MalwareBytes.
    This is what I use.

There's a free version or pay 24.95 for a lifetime pro version. http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 04-05-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Are ya' on a Windoz machine?

I ran Kaspersky for years.........Now I use the free stuff from Microsoft...
    True, you can try Microsoft Security Essentials.

I don't even run anti-virus software any more. It just lags everything. I have a good firewall, I don't download crap, and I run a good deep scan every week or so.

http://www.wired.com/2012/03/antivirus/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yep, someone finally made Netflix work pretty seamlessly on Linux so I'm back to being windowless.
    And now I also don't have to clean the registry, and I don't have clean out the system tray, and I don't have to download special tools to remove software...

.........and best of all, if I want to find a string in a series of files I can dip into Konsole and run the same $#@!ing grep command which has worked the exact same way for almost 40 years instead of trying to figure out what damned paper clip or puppy dog or multiple step operation I need to build indexes for in order to accomplish the absolute most basic of file system operations.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I use Malwarebytes, AVG, and Sandboxie. I haven't had a virus in a few years since I started using sandboxie and malwarebytes instead of just relying on my antivirus program.

I use Avira for real-time detection, and Kaspersky's free scanner for on-demand, deep scanning. I also use a small, low-resource firewall.

I don't know what's current for Windows anymore. The last time I supported AV for Windows the king of AV was Symantec, but that was back when the founder still ran the place and they were pursuing security more than dollars. Same guy who is developing a hyper-secure network encryption appliance now. I'm pretty sure he doesn't run the place anymore, and it's clear from the responses already that Symantec is no longer a major player in the field.

I would go with what others have said: Migrate to POSIX. POSIX of some kind. So far everyone says Linux, but Linux is only one flavor out of a whole spectrum. It is the easiest to LEARN on having been developed to 'bridge the gap' in many ways. Then, if you have critical Windows apps you need, run them in virtualization. Virtualization is almost as fast as native nowadays. user-end differences are all but imperceptible once setup and such is accomplished. If your virtual Windows gets infected, just nuke it and reload from the original image. You are only using it to run apps anyway......

ETA - I just recalled, it was when Noton bought Symantec that A-V went to frell. Which was sad, because before Norton bought Symantec they (Norton) were good people.
    Last edited by GunnyFreedom; 04-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.

I use Hitman pro, it works great and doesn't slow down my computers.
    http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/

I stopped worrying about viruses.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Thank you all. It's a great group of responses that I will examine and decide on tomorrow, including those that say such things are not needed.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I've had the best luck with ESET NOD 32, but I run multiple ones. Basically, none of them catch everything.

Malwarebytes is good, as is spybot S&D and adaware, but these are things you usually run periodically or whenever the computer starts acting up.

I'd suggest staying away from MacAfee.

-t

ESET NOD 32 anti-virus.
    I been using it for years, no viruses here.

It runs realtime and scans anything that runs or is added to you computer.
    You run a full scan when you install it, then you never have to worry about it again.

http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/antivirus/
    30 day free trial, give it a go.

If you like it then buy it on sale on newegg. It is often on sale there.

If you decide you don't like it, trial kaspersky next, it is also very good.
    http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/?...nload_mainlink
    Last edited by LibertyRevolution; 04-06-2014 at 05:36 AM.

I replaced my anti-virus with nothing, and am much happier now.

True, you can try Microsoft Security Essentials.
    I would use this too. It's free, unobtrusive, and doesn't seem to use many resources. Also make sure you require Admin access to install anything.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    I would use this too. It's free, unobtrusive, and doesn't seem to use many resources. Also make sure you require Admin access to install anything.
    Plus Microsoft Security Essentials is made in Israel so...you know...the best computer traffic monitoring tool on the market.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.