Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Germany bans managers from calling or emailing staff after work hours

Germany bans managers from calling or emailing staff after work hours

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/germany-b...461070-79.html

Germany's labor ministry has banned managers from calling or emailing staff out of hours except in emergencies. The ministry says the measure is intended to prevent staff from suffering undue stress by being constantly on call.

Daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported Friday that the ministry is following the lead of major German companies such as automaker Volkswagen and Deutsche Telekom.

The newspaper cited official guidelines stating that no staff should be penalized for turning off their cellphone or failing to pick up messages after working hours "to prevent self-exploitation."

It said managers were also being urged to refrain from calling staff while on leave but out-of-hours contact was permitted "in exceptional circumstances."
    General Politics because... there needs to be a Law against EVERYTHING?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

Should be in International Affairs.

I thought you'd support that law, Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I thought you'd support that law, Damian.
    I don't, but I do think that an employer who expects his employees to be on call all the time is taking advantage. Off time should be off time where possible.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    I don't, but I do think that an employer who expects his employees to be on call all the time is taking advantage. Off time should be off time where possible.
    There are many industries where you are on call all the time.

I never answer company calls. But if they leave me a msg saying Purty Please call me back, I might.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I work about 60 hours a week, and have my work-email open any time I'm on the laptop at home. I've no compunction about responding while "not working." What's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I never answer company calls. But if they leave me a msg saying Purty Please call me back, I might.
    My services are in 'high' demand, so I try to keep my customers happy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ever since the internet, many people are working pretty much every waking hour. Many employers expect it.

Can you stand up to that pressure? Depends on the labor market, doesn't it? Supply and demand, it's not just for widgets.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

If a you are given a company cell phone, you are expected to answer it when work calls. These people aren't asked to come in and work if they're on their off hours, but usually just are being asked to answer a question. At least, in all the management jobs I've had, it was always an off shift supervisor calling me looking for an answer to a problem they were having. People want to have good paying leadership jobs, and only work 40 hour weeks.

That is the ultimate in a lazy person who feels they are entitled to everything.

And same with the email. Why is it considered taking advantage of emailing someone?

There are many industries where you are on call all the time.
    Correct.

I am, I.T.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

So are mine, i can cost the company thousands of dollars by just showing up late.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Correct.

I am, I.T.
    That is the exact industry I had in mind. I'm consulting at a bank right now and the IT guys, especially the guys who are in charge of the core banking software, are on call 24/7/365.

So are mine, i can cost the company thousands of dollars by just showing up late.
    I even put quotation marks over one word, but it seems you missed what I was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    If a you are given a company cell phone, you are expected to answer it when work calls. These people aren't asked to come in and work if they're on their off hours, but usually just are being asked to answer a question. At least, in all the management jobs I've had, it was always an off shift supervisor calling me looking for an answer to a problem they were having. People want to have good paying leadership jobs, and only work 40 hour weeks.

That is the ultimate in a lazy person who feels they are entitled to everything.

And same with the email. Why is it considered taking advantage of emailing someone?
    There are very, very, very few salaries workers who only put in 40 hours a week that I'd consider "good" employees. If you aren't putting in at least 50 hours a week, you aren't working hard enough.

I even put quotation marks over one word, but it seems you missed what I was trying to say.
    I did, but I respect your profession. Keep safe.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    I work about 60 hours a week, and have my work-email open any time I'm on the laptop at home. I've no compunction about responding while "not working." What's the big deal?
    I respond to customers I like at all hours of the day/night 7days aweek. The douchebags have to wait until work hours and weekdays.

There are very, very, very few salaries workers who only put in 40 hours a week that I'd consider "good" employees. If you aren't putting in at least 50 hours a week, you aren't working hard enough.
    Sounds like something I did in the Military.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I respond to customers I like at all hours of the day/night 7days aweek. The douchebags have to wait until work hours and weekdays.
    You never respond to my emails outside of working hours....

Well I only give the 24hour treatment to customers that pay their invoices on time and without complaint.

I don't think Specs speaks Spanish.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I don't think Specs speaks Spanish.
    I translate all my emails on Google Translate first. That way there's no chance of misunderstanding what I want to say.

Every salaried position I've held was based on a 50 hour work week. But I've known people who do all they can to work 8 hours a day, and make sure they take their whole hour for lunch.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's a big difference between a company's policy and a government law.

good! when im done at work, my home life begins. i dont respond to work calls, text or email after i get home. they respect that and im glad.

I'm surprised that email is within scope of the "law" (if it even is a law). Set the smart phone to not buzz on new emails and half the problem is solved.

Also, our work has no "after work hours" (3-shift operation) and salaried folk have no set hours. "After" hours is meaningless. Some people are at their desk 6am. Others wake up hours later.

Although protocols and habits have to evolve to deal with the tech, people are more productive - generally - than ever before. I and coworkers spend a lot less time driving because we can communicate in a few minutes what could take 2-3 hours if you had to come in to work to address.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    We accomadate employees with endless personal problems. Easily. Easily because we can communicate at any time. If you want your employer to be flexible, then you need to be flexibile too. If you want to work 9-5 with no exceptions ever, then work 9-5 with no exceptions ever. Fewer and fewer people choose that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Ever since the internet, many people are working pretty much every waking hour. Many employers expect it.

Can you stand up to that pressure? Depends on the labor market, doesn't it? Supply and demand, it's not just for widgets.
    M'eh. I disagree. With commisioned sales, the bottom line is the bottom line and nobody anymore gives a damn about them being in the office 2-6 hours on average, 3 or 4 days a week. They might be on customer calls, emails, visits the other times or maybe they are at a nudie bar. Nobody knows, nobody cares. Our best salesperson doesn't like being at work because people bother him all the time. At home, he can be on the laptop and smart phone and get more $#@! done.

With the non-coms, I see more vaue in the ability to delegate work to hourly employees than to simply overwork yourself. Both are valuable, one is more valuable (but not always easy to do).

A smart phone is also the "everything is OK alarm" but much quieter. I don't have to be at work to know everything is OK, because I'll be called or emailed or texted if something comes up. $#@! the Germans (not literally as that results in more Germans).

If you read it carefully, this is only for employees of the labor ministry.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    If you read it carefully, this is only for employees of the labor ministry.
    Bureaucrats passing laws to make their lives easier. Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

Do you really buy this logic for shutting down communication in this area, Damian?

Hey, you know, Russia just bought a crap load of typwriters. http://www.businessinsider.com/russi...-spying-2014-3

Also... How Much Is NSA Spying Costing In Lost Productivity?

angelatc is right.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-02-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast