Thread: Man refused NHS operation builds guillotine to amputate his own hand

Man refused NHS operation builds guillotine to amputate his own hand

http://www.samizdata.net/2014/03/you...and-it-to-him/

Mark Goddard has been in constant pain since he was involved in a motorbike crash 16 years ago.

But after an unsuccessful two-year campaign to have his nerve shattered hand surgically removed, he decided to do it himself.

He rigged up a home-made guillotine using an axe with a weight strapped to it, to ensure it would have enough power to amputate his hand.

The first blow sliced though the bone but didn't sever all the tendons, leaving his hand hanging off a bloodied stump.

He then used a surgeon's scalpel to cut through the remaining tissues before dropping the remains into a bin, which he later filled with charcoal and set alight – in order to prevent his hand being re-attached.

Now the 44-year-old dad has issued an end-of-year deadline for doctors to amputate the rest of his arm from above the elbow - or else he will repeat the same drastic action.

Mr Goddard, from Newton Abbot in Devon, said today he says he was driven to the astonishing act after a 'put me out of my misery' ultimatum fell on deaf ears.

He said: “I should not have to go to such extremes to get my pain stopped.

“There was an alternative - and that was having it done properly in hospital. But no one would do anything to help me - so I did it myself.

“There should never have been any need for me to do this. It would have spared so much distress all round - but it was the only way.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess he never even thought about using a table saw.

DIY American spirit if I've ever seen it.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

I hope it ends his pain, but there's a good chance it won't. 60% to 80% of people who have limbs amputated experience sensations of feeling in the missing limb, and most of those sensations are pain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_limb

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    DIY American spirit if I've ever seen it.
    He should be granted honorary citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I hope it ends his pain, but there's a good chance it won't. 60% to 80% of people who have limbs amputated experience sensations of feeling in the missing limb, and most of those sensations are pain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_limb
    My best friend's ex's dad lost a foot in an accident. He once told us that he still felt it and that he constantly felt pain and that it would feel as if someone was hitting his non-existent foot with a hammer.

Mandatory Health Insurance does NOT mean Mandatory Health Care. And just because it is now mandatory does not mean everyone can afford it.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I guess he never even thought about using a table saw.
    That would have been the better way!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I know. It was pretty stupid. His doctors must have told him about that, and I suspect their refusal to amputate wasn't just because "they had problems amputating an arm with a good hand on it."
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How about unfettered access to the appropriate pain medication?

Pics or it didn't happen
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Well, shut my mouth.

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Nifty!

Petar: DIY American spirit if I've ever seen it.
    Can his whole head also fit into that same "handy" contraption that he built?

Dr.3D: I guess he never even thought about using a table saw.
    Tidy!

Even the trusty table saw might not be able to do the job, if it's the right wrong model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbndZtkfcqs

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Well, shut my mouth.
    WTF?

It's unsafe to use 3/4" black electrical tape when wider 2" silver duct tape is also available.

Maybe it could be re-worked into a neater, more compact multi-limb accommodating model
    by incorporating a garage door torsion spring and sharpened lawn mower blade. All required parts
    should be available at the local hardware store, but he should have applied for a construction
    permit from his local authorities before even stating the project.

God help that poor sole. Now even His work will be even more difficult 'cause the guy only has
    one remaining hand.

Tragic situation, pathetic medical care!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    How about unfettered access to the appropriate pain medication?
    Sounds like he's taking plenty. Not sure if it's the appropriate type though. Nerve pain is a tough nut!

Goodard said he takes a daily cocktail of 40 painkillers and is seeking a spinal implant that will help ease the nagging pain.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Sounds like he's taking plenty. Not sure if it's the appropriate type though. Nerve pain is a tough nut!
    His hand wouldn't have been hurting if he was taking plenty....

Patients should NEVER have to beg for appropriate pain meds!

This is one of the most cruel aspects of the war on drugs...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    His hand wouldn't have been hurting if he was taking plenty....

Patients should NEVER have to beg for appropriate pain meds!

This is one of the most cruel aspects of the war on drugs...
    Oh I agree with you! It is cruel. Maybe he does need more, though he's not complaining about it. Like I said, nerve pain is really hard to treat.
    --Albert J. Nock

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    That would have been the better way!

I know. It was pretty stupid. His doctors must have told him about that, and I suspect their refusal to amputate wasn't just because "they had problems amputating an arm with a good hand on it."
    If his brain was insisting that cutting the hand off would end the pain, then maybe it worked.

ETA - I should have read before I clicked:
    Chopping off of his hand has not relieved Mr Goddard's pain and he currently takes more than 40 tablets a day.
    His wish is to have a 'spinal stimulator' implanted which would remove the burden of pain afflicting him and save the need for any amputation.
    I wonder why he can't get one?

EETA:
    He said he was "reasonably hopeful" his wish would be granted after receiving a more sympathetic hearing from doctors and psychiatrists in the wake of his dramatic protest two weeks ago.
    Shudder.
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.

IMO, taking oral or IV painkillers is not the answer.

Something needs to be done to the nerve bundles locally
    within that arm, if he can only find the right surgeon.