Thread: Spain Rules Catalonia Independence Referendum "Unconstitutional," Catalan Govt Vows to Proceed

Spain Rules Catalonia Independence Referendum "Unconstitutional," Catalan Govt Vows to Proceed

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...constitutional

With Scotland moving ever closer, Crimea having chosen their own path, and Venice overwhelmingly voting for secession from Italy, the Spanish government has put its foot down on the Catalonia's planned independence referendum. As Time reports, In a Tuesday ruling, Spanish judges found Catalonia’s planned independence referendum to be unconstitutional. Of course, just as in Crimea, this is being ignored by the Catalan government - a region seen as the powerhouse of the [Spanish] economy - who exclaimed "this will have no effect on the process."

Via Time,

In a Tuesday ruling, Spanish judges found Catalonia’s planned independence referendum to be unconstitutional, but secessionists in the Spanish autonomous region (called a “community” in Spain) have vowed to proceed regardless.

“This will have no effect on the process,” said the Catalan government’s spokesman Francesc Homs on local television.

Although stifled under the yoke of the Franco dictatorship, Catalonia has long felt cultural and linguistic distinction from the rest of Spain. In recent years, it developed into a powerhouse of the nation’s economy. However, amid the country’s financial crisis, Madrid has been urging national unity.

“No one can unilaterally deprive the entire Spanish people of the right to decide on their future,” Spain’s conservative Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy told the parliament, which is due to debate the referendum on April 8.

Last September 11, Catalonia’s national day, hundreds of thousands of Catalans formed a vast human chain across the region to call for independence. The referendum, if it goes ahead, is planned for Nov. 9.
    As Pater Tenebrarum noted, nation states are starting to splinter

One of these days, one of the secessionist movements in Europe is likely to succeed and then a domino effect may be let loose. The Crimea's recent change of allegiance has probably energized these movements further.

And it is about time, too. The concept of the centralized, large-scale nation state is anachronistic and should be abandoned. The increasing centralization of the EU is going in the wrong direction. Once again it must be stressed that for the individual citizen, it matters not one whit whether self-important EU politicians and bureaucrats can 'throw around their weight on the international stage'.

What matters far more is that they would likely be treated a lot better and become more prosperous if everything fell apart into tiny independent territories. That would definitely not mean that there could be no free trade zone, or that every region would necessarily use a different currency. The main goals of the founders of the EU, namely free trade and free movement of capital and people need not be abandoned – on the contrary, they would likely be adopted without hesitation. When a great many small territories compete with each other for citizens, then they are all going to be forced to make a good offer that makes people want to stay. Large declines in taxes would be an immediate effect, but not the only effect that could be expected.
    Last edited by Lucille; 03-27-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Color me surprised.
    Dont you mean colour?

Quote Originally Posted by gwax23 View Post
    Dont you mean colour?
    Awww, loooook at you. Have you been talking to Eduardo? Did he convince you that I''m not American? Did that get your nationalistic blood afroth?

Awww, loooook at you. Have you been talking to Eduardo? Did he convince you that I''m not American? Did that get your nationalistic blood afroth?
    Eduardo only says nice things about you at our candle light dinners.

No but seriously I just thought u were british.
    Last edited by gwax23; 03-27-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwax23 View Post
    Edouardo only says nice things about you at our candle light dinners.

No but seriously I just thought u were british.
    I'm American.

I'm American.
    I stand corrected.

Looking at it though, American...it's not much different than Armenian.

It's just words really, despite the differences placed on us by "our" respective parasitical governments: we're all part of the same human condition.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looking at it though, American...it's not much different than Armenian. It's just words really [...]
    Excuse me? America is exceptional and special. Armenia is not. Duh ...

[D]espite the differences placed on us by "our" respective parasitical governments: we're all part of the same human condition.
    Terrorist!
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

I've never said you're not American. You just prefer to live under Her Majesty's benevolent rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Excuse me? America is exceptional and special. Armenia is not. Duh ...

Terrorist!
    Armenia gave us the Kardashians and Thomas Woods.

Not special? Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    Armenia gave us the Kardashians and Thomas Woods.

Not special? Please.
    Unless you're a black guy, the 'gift' of the Kardashians from Armenia doesn't apply. Every Armenian woman I've bet in real life has been very hairy...