Thread: Man has license plate stolen but is on the hook for parking tickets racked up by thief

Man has license plate stolen but is on the hook for parking tickets racked up by thief

Saginaw, Michigan resident, Joe Polzin, has received the bill from parking tickets for infractions committed by the thieves who stole his old license plate. As reported by WNEM TV 5, Polzin reported his license plate missing in November of 2013 and he received a replacement from the state. Mr. Polzin said, “Yeah I got the paperwork here from Lansing that shows that I paid a five dollar fee and that I reported it missing or stolen.”

The Secretary of State’s office told the station that such a report would have been updated in their system in 24 hours. But Polzin’s filing clearly flew under the radar because he was issued six parking tickets by the city of Saginaw, which were racked up by two different vehicles in January and February of this year. The different vehicles did not raise any red flags, and Polzin has been left with $300 in fines. It’s money he says he just doesn’t have. “Well its pretty stressful and quite upsetting, makes you mad,” said the victim. “They told me I gotta prove myself innocent before they’ll do anything about the tickets.” Despite having the paperwork to prove his case, the tickets have been unchanged.

Calls by WNEM to the city of Saginaw were unanswered. The debt from the half dozen tickets has been turned over to a collection agency. Polzin was resigned saying, “There’s nothing really I can do about it at this time.”
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/...5787.html?vp=1
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Enough!
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

“They told me I gotta prove myself innocent before they’ll do anything about the tickets.” Despite having the paperwork to prove his case, the tickets have been unchanged.
    the tickets were issues 2/17/14 and 3/11/14. If his paperwork says he reported his license plate missing in November of 2013 then thats a no brainer. The state says this paperwork is needed and important, well, there it is. Now fix it - pretty simple it would seem to me.

Now then, The debt from the half dozen tickets has been turned over to a collection agency. That's another problem which was brought on by the incompetence of the state...

Polzin was resigned saying, “There’s nothing really I can do about it at this time.”
    Sure there is! You sue the city of Saginaw for their incompetence to get back the money you now apparently owe to the collection agencies, your court fees, your time, and any damage to your credit rating, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-in-NY View Post
    the tickets were issues 2/17/14 and 3/11/14. If his paperwork says he reported his license plate missing in November of 2013 then thats a no brainer. The state says this paperwork is needed and important, well, there it is. Now fix it - pretty simple it would seem to me.

Now then, The debt from the half dozen tickets has been turned over to a collection agency. That's another problem which was brought on by the incompetence of the state...

Sure there is! You sue the city of Saginaw for their incompetence to get back the money you now apparently owe to the collection agencies, your court fees, your time, and any damage to your credit rating, no?
    What is a real shame, is that to sue he would probably end up putting more into the economy of the offending state than if not, unless all of his costs are returned to him by the offending state. And, even that would take more money from the people and put it into pockets of the state. The people would not see it happen to them, and therefore would make no change to the state.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin