Thread: Virginia GOP grassroots in open revolt

Virginia GOP grassroots in open revolt

Open war erupted in the Virginia GOP about a week ago with a "slating" scandal in Virginia Beach. Last night a Tea Party-Liberty alliance won the first battle in Henrico County, narrowly defeating another slating attempt.

What makes this really interesting is that the establishment side of the war is spearheaded by Eric Cantor, and his home base is Henrico County.

Here's the story on the incident that caused the war (which has been brewing quietly for a few years) to erupt: http://bearingdrift.com/2014/03/11/h...-mass-meeting/

And here are the stories about the Henrico meeting:
    During: http://thebullelephant.com/jamie-rad...o-gop-meeting/
    Aftermath: http://thebullelephant.com/grassroot...antor-country/

The upshot of this is that it may provide the momentum to take out Cantor in the primary, which would be a breathtaking accomplishment, and a recipe for Republicans all over the country to follow in reclaiming the right to representation from the GOP establishment.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Open war erupted in the Virginia GOP about a week ago with a "slating" scandal in Virginia Beach. Last night a Tea Party-Liberty alliance won the first battle in Henrico County, narrowly defeating another slating attempt.

What makes this really interesting is that the establishment side of the war is spearheaded by Eric Cantor, and his home base is Henrico County.

Here's the story on the incident that caused the war (which has been brewing quietly for a few years) to erupt: http://bearingdrift.com/2014/03/11/h...-mass-meeting/

And here are the stories about the Henrico meeting:
    During: http://thebullelephant.com/jamie-rad...o-gop-meeting/
    Aftermath: http://thebullelephant.com/grassroot...antor-country/

The upshot of this is that it may provide the momentum to take out Cantor in the primary, which would be a breathtaking accomplishment, and a recipe for Republicans all over the country to follow in reclaiming the right to representation from the GOP establishment.
    Wow, interesting. I would love to see Cantor taken out. He's just another Obama puppet.

Cantor's seat is in jeopardy after this?

Quote Originally Posted by philipped View Post
    Let's hope so. Dave Brat has been getting some exposure on conservative radio.

http://davebratforcongress.com
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Brat campaign statement:

http://davebratforcongress.com/media...ating-attempt/

Dave Brat & Henrico Grassroots Stand Up For Everyday Conservatives Defeat Slating Attempt

(Richmond, VA) The Henrico grassroots scored a major victory for Republican party unity last night by defeating attempts by the power brokers in the Republican party to exclude anyone not voting in lock-step with party orders. The Republican Party in Virginia has seen an ugly spate of Washington style power politics being waged on loyal party activists over the past two weeks.

Zac Werrell, Campaign Manager for Dave Brat said, Earlier in the day Dave let his supporters know of the impending danger of slating at the Henrico County Republican Mass Meeting. Our supporters showed up en masse and refused to allow a single person to be disenfranchised.

On top of major issues like the Republican leadership in Washington voting with Democrats to raise the debt ceiling, putting in a bill to fully fund Obamacare, and trying to push through amnesty for illegals, the attempts to exclude the folks who make up the heart and soul of their own party show just how out of touch party elites are with Virginia and the Seventh District, said Republican Congressional candidate Dave Brat.

At a time when prominent Republicans call for unity while being involved in actively dividing the party, we need to place principles over power now more than ever. Virginia and America deserve better, said Brat.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by philipped View Post
    It very well may be, if this continues to build momentum. Cantor just lost a key test of strength in his own hometown. IMO he is more vulnerable than McConnell is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Let's hope so. Dave Brat has been getting some exposure on conservative radio.

http://davebratforcongress.com
    Brian, can we get a liberty analysis of Dave Brat? I have high hopes he can unseat Cantor but I really don't know as much about him as I'd like to feel comfortable.

what an amazingly wonderful example of how local county work has the potential to influence national politics.

These kinds of local stories are what has given me so much hope over the years.
    Last edited by georgiaboy; 03-26-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Brian, can we get a liberty analysis of Dave Brat? I have high hopes he can unseat Cantor but I really don't know as much about him as I'd like to feel comfortable.
    While I don't think he's as pure, or one of us, in the same way that Floyd Bayne (Eric Cantor's last challenger) was, I think he would be light years better than Cantor. From Brat's website:

Dave Brat fully supports the Republican Creed, and any leader who unflinchingly upholds that Creed which reads as follows...

We Believe…

That the free enterprise system is the most productive supplier of human needs and economic justice,
    That all individuals are entitled to equal rights, justice, and opportunities and should assume their responsibilities as citizens in a free society,
    That fiscal responsibility and budgetary restraints must be exercised at all levels of government,
    That the Federal Government must preserve individual liberty by observing Constitutional limitations,
    That peace is best preserved through a strong national defense,
    That faith in God, as recognized by our Founding Fathers is essential to the moral fiber of the Nation.

... unfortunately, however, our current congressman, Eric Cantor, has failed to uphold that Creed, and it is time for a change. It is time to term limit Eric Cantor.
    http://davebratforcongress.com/

I stopped reading when I got to this part:

While I understand that many in the party are complaining about the slating, many of those same people – unfortunately including Pat Mullins – said nothing when we saw slating last year used in Craig County in an even more egregious way than what we saw last night.
    That Craig County slating charge is complete BS. Since I know that part is a lie, I have to question the rest of the article too.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    I stopped reading when I got to this part:

That Craig County slating charge is complete BS. Since I know that part is a lie, I have to question the rest of the article too.
    Sorry should have warned you, Bearing Drift is the GOP establishment mouthpiece in Virginia.

Sorry should have warned you, Bearing Drift is the GOP establishment mouthpiece in Virginia.
    Yeah, many call it "Bearing Left" down in this part of the Commonwealth.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Victory bump!

There were signs that Brat could win this...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Victory bump!

There were signs that Brat could win this...
    Yes it was, and this is the REAL story about how Cantor went down. Without the reporting on the first slating scandal, there would have been no second one. Without the second one, there would have been no revolt in Henrico County. Without that revolt and the controversy that ensued, it would be very unlikely that Brat would gain the momentum to win.

While you read the papers today, keep in mind that NONE of them are telling this story, and only a couple of them are even aware that the slating scandals had an impact on the race at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Yeah, many call it "Bearing Left" down in this part of the Commonwealth.
    Can you do a blog post or a write up for those of us outside the area to explain to the common person how it happened?
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Can you do a blog post or a write up for those of us outside the area to explain to the common person how it happened?
    Even better, I can show you.

http://thebullelephant.com/tag/eric-cantor/

Start with the oldest article under that tag, read them one by one until the present. That is the real story of how Cantor lost this election.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.