Thread: Scared that the New Hampshire unemployment rate is too low

Exclamation Scared that the New Hampshire unemployment rate is too low

I am starting to get scared that the New Hampshire unemployment rate is getting too low. Here is the deal folks. Less than 40% of the adults living in New Hampshire were born in New Hampshire. People have been moving from MA to NH for decades for increased freedom. Most of these people are OK folks. Unfortunately, since NH has the highest quality of life in the nation, has overall low taxes and near the highest pay in the nation, people from other Northeastern state have also been moving to NH. Unlike the folks from MA that are generally just trying to escape statistism, the folks from the rest of the Northeast are more likely than not to move to NH because of the insanely high quality of life and job opportunities. I admit, that the average voter in the Northeast is no so good

Things are getting critical. The NH unemployment rate is now only 4.7%, the 2nd lowest in the East. The lowest in the East is border state Vermont at 4%. I'm fearful that folks looking for work in the Northeast will start targeting NH/VT as the place to move to for work.

You can help stop this by accepting a job or two in New Hampshire. Please do your part for the liberty movement and take a high paying job in the state with the highest quality of life in the nation. Please join us in NH so that statists don't. Vote with your feet and make money doing it
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-18-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Let me get my kid out of high school, and maybe.....

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Let me get my kid out of high school, and maybe.....
    Thanks. I'll gladly you buy you a beer or 2 if you make the move

Here is a place on Fedbook that is somewhat useful.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/fspjobalert/

Other somewhat useful resources include
    http://freestateproject.org/resources and http://forum.freestateproject.org/in...?topic=11718.0

Here is an article about this.
    N.H. jobless rate falls in Feb. as number of people working rises
    http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/busin...n-feb.-as.html
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Thanks. I'll gladly you buy you a beer or 2 if you make the move
    Ha! I'll gladly supply a keg and endless sandwiches and pizza if you help unload the truck!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Ha! I'll gladly supply a keg and endless sandwiches and pizza if you help unload the truck!
    Who among us could resist that offer?

Here is the moving video when the founder of the FSP moved to NH. You get an idea by just watching the first 3 minutes. Normally, the person moving in provides the pizza and beer. However, in this case people were so happy that Jason and his family moved that we brought the pizza and beer. Someone even gave me a steak. And someone else cooked it. How awesome!

I'm looking for work where I can find it and afford the cost of living. If I thought there was something in NH for me I'd consider it.

I finished an Associates in IT Security. I'd say I have Intermediate skill with Linux or FreeBSD. My little Netbook is running Arch Linux very nicely.

However, as a recent grad, I'm struggling to overcome the classic catch .22 of needing experience to get a job to get experience.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    I'm looking for work where I can find it and afford the cost of living. If I thought there was something in NH for me I'd consider it.

I finished an Associates in IT Security. I'd say I have Intermediate skill with Linux or FreeBSD. My little Netbook is running Arch Linux very nicely.

However, as a recent grad, I'm struggling to overcome the classic catch .22 of needing experience to get a job to get experience.
    The Nashua, NH area and northern MA plus Boston is perhaps the best place in the Northeast to look for computer/IT jobs. Hanover/Lebanon, NH is also good, it's just the population is like only 50k there so even with an unemployment rate below 4%, there still aren't a ton of jobs in that small area. But the northern MA population is in the millions and there are a lot of jobs! You should be able to find something.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I moved up to Gorham, New Hampshire for a few months, but I just moved right back to Texas. The White Mountains are nice, but there was really no decent jobs in the area. I was working at a federal prison, and decided that the natural scenery is not worth working at a federal prison. The libertarian aspects of the state seem to be greatly exaggerated. Nobody that I talked to even knew what a libertarian was or had even heard of the Free State Project, perhaps I was in the wrong part of the state?? No sales tax was cool, but it only applied to certain things. There still seemed to be a decent amount of cops, methheads, and welfare parasites around. Besides the federal prisons and the few tourist areas, I don't know where anybody would work at in northern New Hampshire. Apparently the mills had been shut down and everyone was out of work.

If I would decide to move back to the area, I would prefer Vermont. But yeah, the whole area of upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine is beautiful...especially someone used to Texas and southwest Oklahoma. But the prospect of being snowed in 4-5 months a year doesn't really appeal to me.
    Last edited by Saint Vitus; 06-30-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
    I moved up to Gorham, New Hampshire for a few months, but I just moved right back to Texas.
    Interestingly, not a single candidate for the New Hampshire House filed in Coos County District 6, which includes Gorham. Though, working at the federal prison, you couldn't run anyway

The White Mountains are nice, but there was really no decent jobs in the area.
    Most of the decent jobs in the area are managing things that appeal to the tourists (ski areas, grocery stores, retail stores, restaurants) and so on. That plus the medial jobs, education jobs and prison.

I was working at a federal prison, and decided that the natural scenery is not worth working at a federal prison.
    Thank you for attempting to work at a prison. Perhaps the world would be a better place if more prison workers and police were pro-liberty. Though, it certainly seems to be hard for a liberty activist to do that kinda work for too long

The libertarian aspects of the state seem to be greatly exaggerated. Nobody that I talked to even knew what a libertarian was or had even heard of the Free State Project, perhaps I was in the wrong part of the state?? No sales tax was cool, but it only applied to certain things. There still seemed to be a decent amount of cops, methheads, and welfare parasites around. Besides the federal prisons and the few tourist areas, I don't know where anybody would work at in northern New Hampshire. Apparently the mills had been shut down and everyone was out of work.
    This county actually went to Ron Paul in 2012. It's one of the most libertarian counties in New Hampshire as many of the communities don't even have property taxes, some don't have police forces and so on. Pittsburg is a really cool town in the county. Part of it even used it be an independent nation.

Gorham is a 'burb of Berlin, the most economically depressed place in New Hampshire. It's so depressed that I've seen 4 unit apartment buildings advertised on sale at below $50,000. It's so depressed because like you said, the mills closed and the population of Berlin has been shrinking since 1930. Berlin has lots of poor people, lots of people on welfare and so on. I know 1 free stater that lives there, but I'd never encourage folks to move there without a lot of warnings first. Though, the head of the Coos County GOP, a big Ron Paul guy, lives there.

There is no general sales tax in NH. Nor is there an excise tax on liquor or normal cigars purchased at stores. There are excise taxes on cigarettes, beer, gas... like in every state. There is also a rooms and meals tax (like maybe every state except OR?).

But yeah, the computer related jobs tend to be focused in the greater Nashua, NH area and also to a lesser extent the Hanover and Seacoast NH areas. About the unemployment rate, it continues to fall, as the number of people employed in NH continues to increase. This is amazingly great news for liberty activists in every state. If you need a job, come to New Hampshire. We have jobs in plenty.

At only 4.4%, the New Hampshire Unemployment Rate is Head and Shoulders Above the Nation
    http://freestateproject.org/blogs/on...s-above-nation
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 07-01-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Here is a physical representation of how Coos County NH is doing compared to the rest of the nation.

Coos County is the county at the top of NH, b/t ME and VT. 8 of the 10 counties in NH are rated as part of the category of best counties in the nation. Coos is about like the national average. It isn't rated as bad as Upstate NY or northern ME, but yeah...

The Upshot came to this conclusion by looking at six data points for each county in the United States: education (percentage of residents with at least a bachelor’s degree), median household income, unemployment rate, disability rate, life expectancy and obesity. We then averaged each county’s relative rank in these categories to create an overall ranking.
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/26...in-the-us.html

One also has to take cost of living into account, among other things. A high paying job is of no use to people who can't get them. Not everyone is a rocket scientist, computer engineer, or aerospace engineer. A job that the average everyday person can get is of no use if it doesn't allow you to afford to live somewhere, or maintain a reasonable standard of living. For the average person who works for a living, NH isn't such a good deal if you do the math. One measure of freedom is how much of your money you are able to keep. If your income only allows you to rent a room and share a kitchen and bath with strangers, is your quality of life better than if you lived in a place where that same percentage of the same income allowed you to rent (or even buy) a 2-3 bedroom house with a yard and garage? If it is possible to live at a reasonable cost in a particular area, then one must also consider where you are going to work. Look at where that relatively cheap place is. Then look on craigslist and the real estate listings. Is it even possible to buy or rent a place in that location? How many places to live are advertised there as being available? How many jobs are available there? How far do you have to travel to find work? Factor in your gas cost, and deduct the travel time from what you'd make at a job that you can actually get. Now how good of a deal is it? Reality has to be taken into account.

How exactly is "quality of life" defined? This is a very subjective term, that can mean very different things to different people. Does quality of life mean having "good" public schools? Or having virtually no regulation of homeschooling? Does it mean having a lower crime rate in a particular municipal jurisdiction? Or does it mean being able to cheaply buy property outside of a municipal jurisdiction where there is no crime, and still be only 20 minutes from where you work?

In my own personal experience, my quality of life is much higher in OK than it was in NH. Even though the unemployment rate is very similar, there is much more work available in OK to an average person. The standard of living for an average person is also much higher. The key here is to actually research what is realistic and reasonable for your own individual situation, looking at ALL the factors rather than cherry-picking by saying that it's cheap to live in some way off place where there is no work, or that there is plenty of well paying work available if you're a computer scientist. The reality for the average person is very different than it is for an aerospace engineer or computer scientist.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
    I moved up to Gorham, New Hampshire for a few months, but I just moved right back to Texas. The White Mountains are nice, but there was really no decent jobs in the area. I was working at a federal prison, and decided that the natural scenery is not worth working at a federal prison. The libertarian aspects of the state seem to be greatly exaggerated. Nobody that I talked to even knew what a libertarian was or had even heard of the Free State Project, perhaps I was in the wrong part of the state?? No sales tax was cool, but it only applied to certain things. There still seemed to be a decent amount of cops, methheads, and welfare parasites around. Besides the federal prisons and the few tourist areas, I don't know where anybody would work at in northern New Hampshire. Apparently the mills had been shut down and everyone was out of work.

If I would decide to move back to the area, I would prefer Vermont. But yeah, the whole area of upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine is beautiful...especially someone used to Texas and southwest Oklahoma. But the prospect of being snowed in 4-5 months a year doesn't really appeal to me.
    Yeah, Texas is the place to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    You cannot even vote or drive a car in Texas unless you agree to allow the Texas government to put both your photo and all 10 finger prints into a statewide criminal database. Plus, don't be surprised if the NSA and FBI steal all of that information from the Texas government... It has both the most oppressive voting system and the most oppressive driving restrictions in the entire nation, as far as I'm aware. It might be the only state where voting is considered a privileged and not a right. Where as Texas has the worst privacy laws of any state, NH has the best privacy laws in the nation.

Texas does have some cool things, though. I enjoyed Sea World in the fall. The San Antonio River Walk area bars were pretty open about ignoring local liquor laws when I was there. And I do like the Rangers and the Cowboys

Another cool think about Texas, according to Men's Health, Corpus Christi is #10 for cities obsessed with coffee.

All 100 cities ranked. http://www.menshealth.com/health/coffee-cities
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 07-20-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    For what, exactly? TX has high property taxes and vehicle inspections. At least if you subject yourself to those things by living in NH, there's a hell of a lot less police state type stuff going on there than in TX.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Because Texas is swinging towards liberty, and against the establishment. Next legislative session should bring some huge improvements. The police state type stuff varies by region, Texas is a big State, we don't have much of that near where I live. No State is truly free yet, they all have their problems, for example, last I knew Oklahoma had the worst ballot access laws.

How a Freshman Legislator Protected Your Emails

Jonathan Stickland, a 29-year-old, first-term state house representative, passed the most revolutionary electronic security bill in the country. By Farraz Khan From D Magazine August 2013 Courtesy of iStock

The 83rd legislative session reminded us of what gets our political libidos kicking: divisive issues, dramatic confrontations, outsize personalities. The theater of a feisty state senator’s last-ditch filibuster against a measure restraining abortions glutted the Capitol and the airwaves with giddy spectators.
    Jonathan Stickland was caught up in the excitement, too. Leading up to Senator Wendy Davis’ 11-hour monologue, the conservative state house representative from District 92—which comprises parts of Hurst, Euless, Arlington, Fort Worth, and Bedford—issued a fusillade of tweets like “Ready for battle tomorrow-Ready to defend life.” On the day of the filibuster, he joined other representatives in presenting Davis with 84,160 blank sheets of pink and blue paper, signifying the number of aborted fetuses in 2011.
    So much about the 29-year-old freshman betrays an itch to fight. Stickland’s website opens with a photo of him in his Capitol office, a .40-caliber semiautomatic strapped to his waist. He brags about killing bills. He uses the metaphor of politics as warfare liberally.
    Stickland—an erstwhile exterminator—has never held political office before this one. He was recruited to run for his seat by the president of the NE Tarrant Tea Party, a group for which he organized. After winning his primary and general-election races by double-digit margins, he vowed to compile the “most conservative voting record in the entire House.” So Stickland seems built for the type of zealous partisanship that we lap up.
    But, then, there’s another Stickland. Amiable, earnest, self-effacing. He’s the one who’s sought to make inroads with allies and opponents alike, forging fast friendships with legislators such as Mary Gonzalez, a pansexual Hispanic Democrat from El Paso. He prefers collaboration and eschews the approach of a portion of the Tea Party who, he says, “just want to obstruct, hate, and vilify liberals.”
    This version of Stickland is responsible for the session’s most significant bipartisan piece of legislation.
    The first time most people hear about the Electronic Communications Privacy Act their jaws drop. The federal statute—which states, such as Texas, have incorporated into their laws—governs when police need to a get a probable cause warrant to search your email. Any email older than 180 days is fair game (and, under some interpretations of ECPA, an opened email is also searchable, without warrant, at any time).
    The law, which implicates the Fourth Amendment, was passed in 1986—when, according to Scott Henson, of the Texas Electronic Privacy Coalition, the leading computer on the market was the Commodore 64, “as in 64K [of RAM]—kilobytes, not gigs.” ECPA hasn’t been repealed or updated since. In other words, 2013 technology is subject to a 1986 law—one that never fathomed the rise of cheap memory, email, and cloud computing.
    Jonathan Stickland Courtesy of Jonathan Stickland
    In February, Henson and Kathy Mitchell, also of the TEPC, visited Stickland’s Capitol office to build support for HB 1608, a bill requiring police to obtain a warrant to search cellphone location data. It was a no-brainer for Stickland, who has a libertarian streak on privacy issues. He signed on and became a joint author. But what he was more interested in was a revision of Texas’ ECPA law—so police would have to get a warrant to search any email, regardless of how old. It was a big ask—with national implications—for a young first-termer. Mitchell admits that had an email bill been the TEPC’s top priority, the group would’ve sought a more senior member to shepherd the legislation through the House—someone like Bryan Hughes, a Republican and six-term member from Mineola, who introduced the cellphone location bill.
    But Stickland saw an opportunity to build a cross-aisle consensus and seized it. He filed the bill a day before the March 8 deadline. And along with the TEPC—whose lobbying effort was spearheaded by the ACLU and liberal and Tea Party activist volunteers—Stickland made the rounds to persuade lawmakers to climb on board. The email bill also took advantage of the coalition of Republicans and Democrats that the TEPC had marshaled in support of the cellphone location bill.
    The cellphone location bill never made it to the House floor, but Stickland deftly attached his measure as an amendment to HB 2268, a bill that passed the House. In late May, the Senate followed suit. While the legislation was awaiting Governor Rick Perry’s signature, news of the NSA’s PRISM surveillance program broke, landing electronic privacy back on the national agenda. The timing was perfect: says Henson, it made Stickland look “eerily prescient.” On June 14, the governor signed Stickland’s measure into law, effective immediately.
    Now, in Texas, state law enforcement must secure a probable cause warrant before it can search private emails or cloud content. According to Allie Bohm, a speech privacy and technology policy strategist with the ACLU, Texas is the first state to enact a law protecting email content from warrantless searches. But it won’t be the last. Stickland’s office has received phone calls from Republican and Democrat activists and policymakers from California, Georgia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Virginia, who want to pass similar legislation in their states. And it puts pressure on Congressional lawmakers in Washington to pass a bill to amend ECPA that was introduced in the spring by Senators Patrick Leahy, a Vermont Democrat, and Mike Lee, a Utah Republican.
    Not bad for a freshman.
    http://www.dmagazine.com/publication...ronic-security
    Last edited by William Tell; 07-20-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Police state measures such as real id and automatic license plate scanners apply to entire states without varying within them by region, a state either has these type of things or they don't. Unfortunately, both TX and OK have both, but NH has neither.

The bottom line here is that NH and OK are currently the states with the most freedom. However, each state has more freedom than the other in different areas. The economic landscape also differs drastically. My point is that when looking at economic factors, one must consider the entire picture without cherry-picking. If your own personal economic circumstances allow you to live in NH without having your quality of life and standard of living severely impacted, then you are in the lucky situation of being able to choose which set of freedoms are more important to you. If you are on the higher end of the economic scale, you may very well come out ahead in NH in the financial sense and quality of life when all factors are considered. If you are in more of an average economic position, the economic landscape and quality of life are much more favorable in OK when all factors are considered.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Police state measures such as real id and automatic license plate scanners apply to entire states without varying within them by region, a state either has these type of things or they don't. Unfortunately, both TX and OK have both, but NH has neither.

The bottom line here is that NH and OK are currently the states with the most freedom. However, each state has more freedom than the other in different areas. The economic landscape also differs drastically. My point is that when looking at economic factors, one must consider the entire picture without cherry-picking. If your own personal economic circumstances allow you to live in NH without having your quality of life and standard of living severely impacted, then you are in the lucky situation of being able to choose which set of freedoms are more important to you. If you are on the higher end of the economic scale, you may very well come out ahead in NH in the financial sense and quality of life when all factors are considered. If you are in more of an average economic position, the economic landscape and quality of life are much more favorable in OK when all factors are considered.
    Texas is swinging towards Liberty, the team left over from Ted Cruz's Senate race is more pure than he is. You would have to be here to understand, I guess. Things are looking good. No, we are not were I want us to be yet.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe