Thread: EPA employees used gov credit cards for gym memberships, gift cards, meals etc...

EPA employees used gov credit cards for gym memberships, gift cards, meals etc...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...yer-funds.html

The Environmental Protection Agency's inspector general found 75 of the 80 transactions it examined involved waste, fraud or abuse
    The EPA's Office of Inspector General found $79,254 in 'prohibited, improper or erroneous' spending in a sample of $152,602 in transactions. And more than 93 per cent of the time the employees used the cards, they 'were not in compliance with EPA policies,' the IG wrote.

'These transactions represented purchases of gym memberships, food [and] hotel space,' according to the report. And many purchases were 'split' among two or more transactions in order to avoid spending more than $3,000 at a time – an amount that should trigger more extensive scrutiny.
    A lot more at the link. Sigh.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm shocked, shocked I say. There must be some mistake.
    "The Patriarch"

Think about the children!

Don't you love your country?

The EPA needs a SWAT team......

Wasting money studying sex workers abroad...

Wasting money studying sex between animal species...

Wasting money on foreign aid and attempting to influence other countries ala Ukraine...

Wasting money through Government fraud on a massive scale that will never be reigned in because they don't want the gravy train to end...

$#@!. The word broke means nothing to these people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    W
    $#@!. The word broke means nothing to these people.
    It isn't just that - well, it is. But there are people in this country that are desperate for work, good people who would never steal a dime no matter how hungry they got...but these psycopaths are the type that rise to the top. Just getting a job with low standards and incredible benefits isn't enough for them.

Another thing that is frightening is - look how long the story is taking to reach the mainstream. Search Google News for "EPA Employee" and so far almost all the coverage is by bloggers. Not a peep from any of the "real" reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    It isn't just that - well, it is. But there are people in this country that are desperate for work, good people who would never steal a dime no matter how hungry they got...but these psycopaths are the type that rise to the top. Just getting a job with low standards and incredible benefits isn't enough for them.

Another thing that is frightening is - look how long the story is taking to reach the mainstream. Search Google News for "EPA Employee" and so far almost all the coverage is by bloggers. Not a peep from any of the "real" reporters.
    I figured as much. I used to search up stories and look for them in mainstream sources all the time and hang my head in shame when they weren't there.

I'm doing my best at work to make people see this. I've shared stories from RPF with a lot off my friends, family, and coworkers and they're shocked that they're not on the mainstream, especially the one a while back about Kelly Thomas. Now a lot of them are seeking alternate news sources!

As for your first point, your addendum is true as well. I know plenty of great people who bust their butt every day at their job while their coworkers are content to be lazy and do nothing; in fact, I have a coworker of my own who experienced this at his last job in a very bad fashion and pretty much left because of it as soon as he got the opportunity.

But that's all private sector and in general, it's hard to get away with slacking in private sector. When it comes to public sector... well, I just wonder if this investigation will actually lead to anything being done about the corruption.

I know which way my vote goes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

So I assume the evidences of fraud will result in jailtime?

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    You owe me a keyboard!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    for sure, folks in my industry have been fired for less.

Nice to see the Daily Mail is picking this up. Thanks, England.

My only question would be - is this just a matter of the employees using the wrong card or process for obtaining the products & services, or are they not supposed to be purchasing the items at all, regardless of what card or purchasing process they use? I know there are private companies who offer some of these kinds of perks.

As a taxpayer, of course, I vote that these folks all be fired and the cards eliminated.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Gift cards ? WTF .Theft.