View Poll Results: Would you risk your life to save an Obama supporter?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 60.78%
  • No

7 13.73%
  • Maybe

13 25.49%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Would you risk your life to save an Obama supporter?

OK: I have a number of thoughts here:

I'm with Juleswin that I might well refrain from risking my life, for anybody, if the odds of my death were high (Even possibly less than 50%.) That's a pragmatic stance, not an ethical one, and I doubt I'd sit there and do math to figure out the odds of survival before stepping in in a given case.

But that's not really how I interpreted the OP. The OP is not really about risking your life, or at least, not the way I saw it. The OP is really about the "Obama supporter"... essentially, is the Obama supporter somehow less worth helping than a Ron Paul supporter.

My answer would be "regardless, helping people is a good thing to do."

Then someone will throw out police, politicians, Bernake, or the like. Now, the key difference there is that the people in question actually ARE aggressors, rather than just supporting aggression. Which makes my decision a little tougher. Holding evil thoughts is rightly not a capital crime. Saying evil things, again, not a capital crime. Actively trying to control other people's lives, a little more debatable. The question for me in these types of cases would be (assuming I thought it through this much, which I might not) would have to be "Are this person's actions evil enough that I think they 'deserve' death?" The 'deserve' cannot be in a theological sense, for we all deserve death by that definition, but in a political sense; in other words, are this person's actions at least as evil as one civilian murdering one other civilian. If so, I wouldn't support saving the person. If not, I would support saving them, even if I might not do it because of personal risk or whatever. Since merely thinking or saying that statism is good is nowhere near the level of murdering one person, I believe such a person (Obama supporter) does warrant being helped, even if I might not do it for personal reasons (ie. High risk to life.)

As for the Iraq War, I don't see how this is in any way comparable. The way I see it, there are at least four reasons that immediately come to mind as to why the Iraq War is immoral:

1. Civilians were killed

2. Money was stolen from the American people to fund the war.

3. As the US government waged the war claiming to represent the entire American nation, it has placed the war and any anger that may come from that war on the backs of the American people.

4. The US government is itself evil and murderous, and so does not have a leg to stand on when it claims that Iraq's government is evil and warrants being overthrown for whatever reason.

While a private militia could perhaps overthrow the Iraqi government without the second, third, and fourth problems, I think the first one kind of is what it is, and so for that reason alone I don't see any way such a war could be waged ethically by a private corporation. On top of that, IF the Iraqi people want the government they have, who are we as outsiders to tell them any different? This point isn't necessarily obvious to me the way the other four points are, so I didn't list it, but I'd welcome any critiques anyone has on that point. But even with that point, there are at least four reasons the US war in Iraq was wrong.

I don't see any similar ethical issues with shooting a robber who is robbing someone's store, unless the OP has himself robbed stores and is on the run from the law for doing so (which would fall under #4.) Otherwise, I don't really see the issue.

I'm not opposed to all intervention, and I think good reasons for that non-opposition have been explained already. I am at least in some sense opposed to any government intervention because of point #2, and certainly all foreign intervention by government because of all four of the above points, but if you just use the word "intervention" at a basic level, sometimes its right and sometimes its not (And no, I'm not going to criticize anyone who calls them self a "noninterventionist" if they are obviously referring to government intervention, I simply make this clarification here because in this thread "intervention" has been used to refer to personal as well as governmental intervention.)
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Wow.... Can't believe this thread is still tugging along.

You are generalizing and rationalizing and bloviating but the one thing you are not doing is being logical.

Every scenario is different; however, the common-sense-DECENT thing to do is to help your fellow man.... leave government and sociology out of it.

Good Samaritan ring a bell?

With people like you out there, cowering in fear, you empower evil doers of all stripes.

I'll say it again... Grow a pair and help the good guys. Thats how this country was founded. God, Guns, and GUTS
    I actually agree with most of what you said.

Many times I get strangers asking me for money on the street and I usually help them out....so I am helping out my fellow man there as you suggested...and as you said every scenario is different...I agree with that....but risking my own life to help them out? Ummmm, most likely not....Would I save someone's life if I didn't have to risk my own? Most likely yes....just don't be wearing an Obama shirt or have an Obama bumper sticker on your car.

I'll say it again... Grow a pair and help the good guys.
    I agree with you there too....I am going to the Florida Liberty Summit next month....people there are good guys and I would be willing to help out....I can't say that about most people in the city I live....it's infested with liberals. Here it's every man for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by qh4dotcom View Post
    Armed robber steals from business owner of convenience store, it's time to save him.

Armed thugs from govt come to steal/seize stuff from business owner, it's time mind your own business, not save him, every man for himself.
    Whether to save people is a personal preference. I may save one person and not another and it is my business why I do so. I may not even have a rational reason at all. That doesn't matter. It's my business.

It is, also, none of yours.

I don't know if you understand that. Do you? Can you accept that it is none of your business whose life I may or may not choose to give a care about?

Can you mind your own business and stop telling me and everyone else on this thread what to do?

I'd risk my life for you qh4dotcom in the right situation. Hopefully, your children would one day thank me. Or put flowers on my grave.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would never risk my life to save another person. I'm too much of a pussy.

This thread is just sad. That some can't tell the difference between the non-intervention that Ron Paul talks about, and individuals helping other individuals...it's just mind-boggling. It's scary to think there are "libertarians" walking around preaching this and telling others that Ron Paul believes in never helping anyone.

Having said that, the decision to put your own life at risk to help someone else is yours to make, and of course, there are many for which I would not risk my life. But this has NOTHING to do with non-interventionism. You're not sending other people's kids to fight a battle. You're making a personal decision to risk your own life.

Ron Paul is against foreign aid, for example, but he is not against individuals voluntarily sending money to help others in other countries.
    Last edited by SilentBull; 03-27-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by logikal View Post
    This thread is just sad. That some can't tell the difference between the non-intervention that Ron Paul talks about, and individuals helping other individuals...it's just mind-boggling. It's scary to think there are "libertarians" walking around preaching this and telling others that Ron Paul believes in never helping anyone.

Having said that, the decision to put your own life at risk to help someone else is yours to make, and of course, there are many for which I would not risk my life. But this has NOTHING to do with non-interventionism. You're not sending other people's kids to fight a battle. You're making a personal decision to risk your own life.

Ron Paul is against foreign aid, for example, but he is not against individuals voluntarily sending money to help others in other countries.
    We're talking here about risking your life to save someone, not individuals helping other individuals....strangers come asking me for money frequently and I usually give it to them.

Like I have said multiples times in this thread, I have a son who needs me and I can't just wind up dead....I live in a city infested with liberals, tired of seeing all the Obama bumper stickers on cars and there is no way I am risking my life to save someone here.

Quote Originally Posted by qh4dotcom View Post
    We're talking here about risking your life to save someone, not individuals helping other individuals....strangers come asking me for money frequently and I usually give it to them.

Like I have said multiples times in this thread, I have a son who needs me and I can't just wind up dead....I live in a city infested with liberals, tired of seeing all the Obama bumper stickers on cars and there is no way I am risking my life to save someone here.
    Completely understandable. My point is that when Ron talks about non-interventionism, he isn't talking about these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    I would never risk my life to save another person. I'm too much of a pussy.
    LOL , well , once you do it a couple times and get by with it , you probably become too bold anyway , lol

I just donated to a fellow RPF member whose husband passed away....now that is someone I could consider risking my life for Even though I live too far away to be there in a time of need.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...onation-Thread

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567