Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IA-Man beaten unconscious by cops at his wedding.

Exclamation IA-Man beaten unconscious by cops at his wedding.

Groom beaten unconscious by police at his own wedding

Posted on March 11, 2014 by PSUSA in News

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/g...en-at-wedding/

DES MOINES, IA — A settlement has been reached for a groom who was beaten unconscious at his own wedding reception, although the city still refuses to admit their officer did anything wrong.

The case dates back to 2011, when John Twombly and his bride Khamla made their vows. They held a reception with roughly 275-300 guests, and hired an off-duty Des Moines police officer, Andrew Phipps, to provide security.

(Mistake the first - AF)

During a night of dancing with his guests, Twombly became upset when once one of his groomsmen became “very flirty” with his wife. The groomsman — Mr. Cullen — grabbed the bride from behind and made gestures that he was going to grab her breasts. This provoked a response from the groom. Twombly pushed Cullen, causing him to lose his balance and knock over a ceramic column, falling into the lap of Officer Phipps. Phipps called for backup.

(Mistake the second - AF)

According to the lawsuit, Twombly had regained his composure and was talking to his guests when as many as 20 officers swarmed into the reception hall moments later. The officers “overwhelmed” Twombly and slammed him into a wall, then tackled to the ground. The version of events was corroborated by several other guests who were addressed by name in the complaint.

“The police officer completely lost it. I didn’t touch the officer at all except on his bicep, and he went berserk on me. He pinned my head down with his knee.”

“They just came running through the entrance of the room, hit me in the back of the head, and I went down to the ground,” said Twombly to WHOtv.

One particularly brutal cop, Officer Cody Grimes, was seen by witnesses punching the groom in the eye. While Twombly had already been handcuffed, Grimes delivered repeated blows to his face. A 63-year-old guest named John Ellsworth Frederick Schildberg III felt that Twombly’s life was in danger and intervened after witnessing the beating. Schildberg “reached out and placed his hand over Defendant Grimes’ bicep to prevent another punch.” The document states that Mr. Schildberg “saw a wholesale loss of composure and control” on the part of the officer, and believed that if he continued, he would have killed the Twombly.

For stepping in and possibly saving the groom’s life, Mr. Schildberg was “shoved” into a hallway and “repeatedly kicked” by Officer Grimes while being threatened with jail time for interference with official acts.

“The police officer completely lost it,” Schildberg told Fox News. “I didn’t touch the officer at all except on his bicep, and he went berserk on me. … He pinned my head down with his knee.”

("Police Officer"? No, $#@! cop. Mistake the third - AF)

Schildberg was indeed charged with interference with official acts, but the charge was later dismissed.

Twombly, who had lost consciousness, was hospitalized and his injuries were assessed. A CAT scan revealed multiple fractures to his right orbital bone. He was charged with criminal mischief, two counts of assault on an officer, and disorderly conduct.

The Des Moines Police Department stood by their officers and cleared them of all wrongdoing. After about 2 weeks of paid administrative leave time, the officers — even Grimes — were patrolling the street once again.

A lawsuit was filed against Grimes and Phipps, citing a number of violations of rights and other damages. Nearly 3 years after the incident, Jake Twombly was awarded $75,000 from the city. Yet officials insisted the money was not an admission of guilt. In fact, the department to this date stands by Grimes’ actions in the 2011 incident, and refuses to release the internal police review.

“Yeah, I think he’s real dangerous,” Twombly remarked about Officer Grimes. “I think he should be reviewed and fired.”

The restraint that police departments show before firing an officer like Cody Grimes has time and again proven to enable serial abusers and bad cops to remain in power. The night he used a groom’s face as a punching bag was not the first time he had displayed his poor judgement as a police officer.

In October 2010, responding to a call near the KCCI news studios in downtown Des Moines, Officer Grimes saw a dark figure with something in his hand, so he opened fire. It turned out to be a KCCI photographer who had been outside with cell phone in his hands. The shot missed. Grimes was, of course, cleared and kept on the force.

In December 2013, Officer Grimes again made headlines in a case of domestic battery when he allegedly choked his girlfriend and threw her down the stairs in his home. Grimes was finally charged in the case, but remains on administrative leave with pay unless he actually gets a conviction.

Had Grimes been fired when he tried to shoot a photojournalist in 2010, perhaps the suffering of his future victims could have been avoided.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-12-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Holy $#@!.

If Grimes doesn't have the most fitting name of all time I don't know what dog killer does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Verdict for Settlement: City is guilty and pays the guy but no one actually committed the crime the city paid for? Another burden to be passed along to tax and fine payers.

This is NOT Justice.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Irony Spike, irony.

Just think, if free speech had its purpose, everyone would know about things like this.

Unified action would put an end to the criminal brutality and collusion.

Ever see someone pick up a tool they did not know the purpose of, then throw it away?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Brown View Post
    Irony Spike, irony.

Just think, if free speech had its purpose, everyone would know about things like this.

Unified action would put an end to the criminal brutality and collusion.

Ever see someone pick up a tool they did not know the purpose of, then throw it away?
    I am exercising my free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Verdict for Settlement: City is guilty and pays the guy but no one actually committed the crime the city paid for? Another burden to be passed along to tax and fine payers.

This is NOT Justice.
    "Just-Us"....

Schildberg was indeed charged with interference with official acts
    Never interfere with official Sith business.

Just another day in AmerKia. Holy $#@!, out of control. The groom did this to himself. He's lucky to be alive.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Just another day in AmerKia. Holy $#@!, out of control. The groom did this to himself. He's lucky to be alive.
    He should have offered his bride to the fine officer in homage....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Or at least his friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Or at least his friend...
    Ex-friend?

Nothing like a thug scrum to say "Congratulations on your wedding night."

Let me guess, he still collected his pay from the groom or his parents.

Sounds like 'roid rage combined with a psychopathic attitude and virtually unlimited power over mundanes is a bad recipe. Hoodathunk?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Prima Nocta.

At least they didn't incinerate all 300 wedding guests by drone bombing them like they would've had it been a raghead wedding.

Even though there were over 100 military aged males in attendance only a shock force of 20 tax feeders was required and it sounds like they all made it home safe to their families--thank goodness.

"One particularly brutal cop, Officer Cody Grimes, was seen by witnesses punching the groom in the eye. While Twombly had already been handcuffed, Grimes delivered repeated blows to his face. A 63-year-old guest named John Ellsworth Frederick Schildberg III felt that Twombly’s life was in danger and intervened after witnessing the beating. Schildberg “reached out and placed his hand over Defendant Grimes’ bicep to prevent another punch.” The document states that Mr. Schildberg “saw a wholesale loss of composure and control” on the part of the officer, and believed that if he continued, he would have killed the Twombly.

For stepping in and possibly saving the groom’s life, Mr. Schildberg was “shoved” into a hallway and “repeatedly kicked” by Officer Grimes while being threatened with jail time for interference with official acts."

A true friend and hero.

What ****** cop repeatedly kicks a 63 year old man?

Hang him

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Cody Grimes is still alive and in one piece, someone didn't handle this situation correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    What ****** cop repeatedly kicks a 63 year old man?
    A cop who shoots at journalists for carrying a cel phone and throws women down stairs while keeping his job.

That's what kind of cop.

That and all his $#@! cop buddies who have watched him do these things and cover for him.

If somebody is going to kill you, then you have to kill them first.

a 63 year old man risked his life for this guy.

should be some kind of an award for this hero, but.....i digress....

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That and all his $#@! cop buddies who have watched him do these things and cover for him.
    Oh, come on now, those are the good ones.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Well there's an unusual photo op for the wedding album.

I was going to point out how idiotic it is to invite a cop to your wedding. Then I remembered that in many cities in order to get an event permit you essentially have no choice but to hire off-duty cops as security. The police unions make sure the codes are written that way because it is lucrative for the cops. A fine little trap.

edit: I actually tried to remove this provision from the local code when I had a chance but the political body wouldn't even consider it.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

They held a reception with roughly 275-300 guests, and hired an off-duty Des Moines police officer, Andrew Phipps, to provide security.
    I know it's been said already but it just blows my mind.
    Who in the invites/hires a cop for security at a reception!?!?!? It's like inviting a vampire into your house. Once in, you're screwed.

If it's law, I'll have the reception in my back yard.
    Last edited by RJB; 03-12-2014 at 10:55 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I was going to point out how idiotic it is to invite a cop to your wedding. Then I remembered that in many cities in order to get an event permit you essentially have no choice but to hire off-duty cops as security. The police unions make sure the codes are written that way because it is lucrative for the cops. A fine little trap.

edit: I actually tried to remove this provision from the local code when I had a chance but the political body wouldn't even consider it.
    "...to peaceably assemble..."

Never heard of it - Officer Friendly

Not the most insane cop story I've read, but definitely in the top 50%.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    a 63 year old man risked his life for this guy.

should be some kind of an award for this hero, but.....i digress....
    Yep.

Let me guess, the badged perps confiscated the wedding photographer's and videographer's film, you know, for evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Prima Nocta.
    Classic Braveheart reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Classic Braveheart reference.
    "The trouble with Scotland is there are too many Scots."

"We'll breed them out."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast