Thread: Having trouble finding "green tip" ammo?

Having trouble finding "green tip" ammo?

I'm sure many people already know this, but to those that don't, this may help you.

With all the ammo hoarding going on, it can be difficult to find certain calibers, or certain type of ammunition. One of these that I have had a hard time finding are green tip rounds. Most people over look it as they think it is a novelty junk round, but the Zombie Ammunition made by Hornady is actually pretty damn good ammo.

They are "green tip" ammo (the color Hornady actually uses for their zombie ammo s yellow). I have bought several hundred rounds of both .223 as well as 7.62X39. The .223 is 55 grain, and the 7.62x39 is 123 grain, and of course brass casings. I never have a problem finding them, as I said before, apparently people don't even pay attention to it, writing it off as junk novelty ammo. When in reality, they are quality rounds with the steel penetrator core.

Hope this helps some of you!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    New production/importation of steel core 7.62x39 has been banned for a while.
    Ron Paul 2012

I just visited the Hornaday web site and they say that .223 caliber is "Temporarily Suspended". Wonder what that is about? Maybe they produce calibers in batches, rather than continuously?

http://www.hornady.com/store/.223-22-CAL/

edit....my mistake.....that was just bullets, not complete ammo.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Walmart had several 30 cal cans with xm855 when I went by today. I dont recall the price for sure, as I was looking for 22lr. If I remember correctly it was in the $160 range.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Very useful against lightly armored targets. At 100m shooting at 3/8inch steel (not specially treated).

First was the combloc test. Mosin with 7.62 x54R FMJ - severe dent. Mosin with 7.62 x 54R AP - clean penetration with 3/4 inch hole through and through. Mosin fanboys doing the high five happy dance. (BTW, Mosin on iron sights with a good shooter got about 1 hit in 8)

AK-47 firing 7.62 x 39 dimple in the plate with minor bubble on the back - no penetration. Sad panda for the AK as it only got one hit with two magazines downrange.

Next was your correspondent firing the A2 clone with M855. First two rounds off target and adjustment made based on spotter report. Three hits in a row (something achieved by no other weapon in the test) with clean penetration through and through with half inch diameter hole. Silence from the Mosin fanboys.

M4gery with 16 inch barrel - no hits - rifle not zeroed properly, IMO.

7.62 x 51 soft point fired from a M1A - dimple with no penetration and bubble on the back of the plate.

Conclusion: "uparmored" pick up trucks and the like are vulnerable to M855 ammunition.

After school bonus: "ARs suck donkeys" adherents devop a sudden interest in the cost of ARs with 20 inch barrels.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Aye, Pericles.

I am a fan of the AK, but have been on an AR buying spree as of late. Don't get me wrong, in close combat (50 yards and in), more so in the wooded terrain where I live, I feel the AK has no peer. However, I also know the AR platform well, and what it can bring to the table. I feel both rifles can be of great use, as long as the person understands where each weapon shines, and where each weapon falls behind compared to the other.

But to make it clear how I feel about both, I have gotten my wife and son both ARs. And the only AK I own is my personal CQB SHTF weapon. My family has ARs for the versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    First was the combloc test. Mosin with 7.62 x54R FMJ - severe dent. Mosin with 7.62 x 54R AP - clean penetration with 3/4 inch hole through and through. Mosin fanboys doing the high five happy dance. (BTW, Mosin on iron sights with a good shooter got about 1 hit in 8)
    That's terrible. But if you can find a Moisin "sneak" made by Sako during the war for the Soviets, I bet the hit ratio goes way up. Friend had one and they are fine rifles. They are called "sneaks" because in order to maintain neutrality Sako had to be very underhanded about getting those guns into the SU.

AK-47 firing 7.62 x 39 dimple in the plate with minor bubble on the back - no penetration. Sad panda for the AK as it only got one hit with two magazines downrange.
    AKs are pure chaos guns, good only for close quarters, making noise, and having a blast. The design, while perfect in some respects, sucks in others - accuracy being one of them. They are great for laying down suppressive fire. They are not suitable for short range sniping unless you have Jesus riding your sleeve, in which case you probably wouldn't miss with a clapped out 1911 at 1000 yd.

Next was your correspondent firing the A2 clone with M855. First two rounds off target and adjustment made based on spotter report. Three hits in a row (something achieved by no other weapon in the test) with clean penetration through and through with half inch diameter hole. Silence from the Mosin fanboys.
    WOOT. Screw you commies.

Was it an Olympic?

7.62 x 51 soft point fired from a M1A - dimple with no penetration and bubble on the back of the plate.
    No AP?

Conclusion: "uparmored" pick up trucks and the like are vulnerable to M855 ammunition.

After school bonus: "ARs suck donkeys" adherents devop a sudden interest in the cost of ARs with 20 inch barrels.
    Sounds like you had a good time.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    I'm sure many people already know this, but to those that don't, this may help you.

With all the ammo hoarding going on, it can be difficult to find certain calibers, or certain type of ammunition. One of these that I have had a hard time finding are green tip rounds. Most people over look it as they think it is a novelty junk round, but the Zombie Ammunition made by Hornady is actually pretty damn good ammo.

They are "green tip" ammo (the color Hornady actually uses for their zombie ammo s yellow). I have bought several hundred rounds of both .223 as well as 7.62X39. The .223 is 55 grain, and the 7.62x39 is 123 grain, and of course brass casings. I never have a problem finding them, as I said before, apparently people don't even pay attention to it, writing it off as junk novelty ammo. When in reality, they are quality rounds with the steel penetrator core.

Hope this helps some of you!
    Yup they compared it with V-max precision line and the groupings were not far off from the precision rounds. It is cheaper and great for close ranges. I love Z-max ammo!
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No FN/FAL?

Bah.

Very useful against lightly armored targets. At 100m shooting at 3/8inch steel (not specially treated).

Lake City M855

NATO green tip.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Lake City M855

Pretty. Though I prefer Lake City M72 when I can get it.
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I'm betting the 193's will be just as effective as the 855's, within a reasonable range. I've noticed they both will pock ar500 steel within 200. In fact, I'd argue that the 193 left a larger pock.

Its too bad you didnt have any m61 on hand. Heck, its too bad I dont have any m61 on hand...

Nothing wrong with an AK, or an AR for that matter. A man's gotta know is limitations, that's all.

Personally, I'm more partial to the AR, but I wouldn't kick the sega 12 outa bed either.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    That's terrible. But if you can find a Moisin "sneak" made by Sako during the war for the Soviets, I bet the hit ratio goes way up. Friend had one and they are fine rifles. They are called "sneaks" because in order to maintain neutrality Sako had to be very underhanded about getting those guns into the SU.
    I am always suspicious of combloc quality control, especially on wartime production weapons, which is probably the issue here.

AKs are pure chaos guns, good only for close quarters, making noise, and having a blast. The design, while perfect in some respects, sucks in others - accuracy being one of them. They are great for laying down suppressive fire. They are not suitable for short range sniping unless you have Jesus riding your sleeve, in which case you probably wouldn't miss with a clapped out 1911 at 1000 yd.
    Agree completely - the AK is designed for Warsaw Pact mass infantry assault and damn the losses. Not my style of warfare.

WOOT. Screw you commies.
    Historical analysis of loss ratios of US vs Soviet / Chinese weapons used by the belligerents tend to bear this out.

Was it an Olympic?
    Wyndam Weaponry just out of the box. I tried it after the owner, and it was shooting low, so it needed to be zeroed, and the ACOG was off as well. I'm not up on the ballistic profile of the 16 inch barrel, so I would have needed some time to walk it in at 100m. (the plates were about 6 inch square) OTOH, the weapon seems solid, not like the crappy feel I get with a DPMS or other junk ARs.

No AP?
    It started for me as a zero some rifles I built exercise, and some general shooting, then kind of evolved into the informal test mode as people brought out the odd stuff. I'd like to see what M193 and M80 ball do. Would also be curious how much steel .30-06 or .30 AP can handle.

Sounds like you had a good time.
    Conclusion: shooting stuff is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    No FN/FAL?

Bah.
    The Mosin shooter usually runs his L1A1 he carried while he was with the SAS, and obtained his duty weapon (minus the naughty bits) which is his primary long arm. I'd like to see if 7.62 NATO has any different effect than the 7.62 x 54R. I doubt it - both rounds seem similar in ballistics and are probably much like 7.92 (aka 8mm) Mauser.
    Last edited by Pericles; 03-04-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.