Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting comfortably? You won't be after reading this...

Sitting comfortably? You won't be after reading this...

Sitting comfortably? You won't be after reading this: Cankles, constipation and even 'brain fog' - why we should all try to spend a lot less time on our bottoms

By Diana Pilkington

With many of us chained to a desk for hours a day before heading home to slump in front of the telly, we're spending much of our time on our bottoms.

And it's having an impact on our health, a growing body of evidence suggests.

Last month, for instance, it emerged that spending an extra hour sitting a day (for 13, rather than 12, hours) is linked to a 50 per cent greater risk of being disabled. And this was regardless of whether the participants - all over 60 - also did moderate exercise, according to the U.S. study published in the Journal of Physical Activity & Health.

Previous research has suggested spending too much time on our rear may be a new risk factor for illness and even death.

Here, the experts reveal what happens to our bodies when we sit for long periods...

LEAKY VEINS

That dreaded 'cankle' look isn't just unsightly - it may also be a sign that you need to get up.

'If you don't keep blood pumping out of your leg and back to your heart, you get high pressure all the time in the veins in the lower legs and feet,' explains Professor Mark Whiteley, consultant vascular surgeon at the Whiteley Clinic in West London.

'With the vein walls under pressure, some proteins and fluid may leak into the tissues, resulting in inflammation. You often see people who spend a long time at their desk with ridges on their skin from their socks. It's because they're not moving enough.'

This can also apply to slim people, as it is fluid, rather than fat, that causes ridges. Over time, the same problem can lead to brown stains and hardening on the skin, eventually leading to leg ulcers, says Professor Whiteley.

Reduced circulation in the legs can also raise the risk of blood clots, such as deep vein thrombosis (DVT). But most patients have other risk factors, too, such as age.

Wiggling your toes, getting up and walking every 20 minutes, or using an electric circulation booster - which administers small electric shocks to the feet - can help blood flow, says Professor Whiteley.

Those sitting for long periods may also want to wear flight socks.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Hell yeah, move it or lose it.

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I've been using a standup desk for around a decade now; I don't think I could ever go back to sitting all day again -- it sounds absolutely horrible.

edit: here is the one I built years ago when I was living on an island with a distinct lack of building materials and tools. It did the trick.
    Perhaps this will go on the "honey do" list. Very good looking desk.

I'm in the process of making a standing desk to sit on my regular desk at work so I can alternate standing and sitting. It is low tech - just a high platform for my monitor and keyboard. I will manually swap them back and forth as needed.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I made standing height work benches in my crafting room. Because I am no longer sitting while working on a project I found that I can easily move around and get things accomplished quicker. I also use the space underneath for storage of supplies and tools which is very handy. I did get a tall stool but have found I rarely use it. It puzzles me why people ever moved away from this style of work space.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

I think that standing at your desk also increases productivity.

I never got one, but I wanted one of the "chairs" where you kind of kneel instead of sitting, too. You kind of need somewhere to sit when clients come in, because it is awkward not to offer them a chair, and it is kind of rude to stand up while they're seated.

LIke this:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A yoga ball is great to sit at your desk too.

http://lifehacker.com/5830748/why-i-...-it-feels-like

I will say the yoga ball was great when I was in labor too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    My office:

That looks a lot like Tommy Ho's set up.

http://pokerlifestyledesign.com/2011...fice/tommy_ho/

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    That looks a lot like Tommy Ho's set up.

http://pokerlifestyledesign.com/2011...fice/tommy_ho/
    That bastard stole my pictures.

I bought the book he sells, one of many. The stretches and exercises are great, just give them a try you will be hooked.
    http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Health...+for+longevity

A Shaolin Temple Disciple At Your Office

My wife says that Sitting is the new Smoking in America. I try to get up every hour and move around.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I'm planning a new workstation that will look similar to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I try to get up every hour and move around.
    I try to get up every 2 beers or so and walk to the bathroom.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    interesting stuff - looks like I just found my new year's resolution.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Bump for the night time crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    A yoga ball is great to sit at your desk too.

http://lifehacker.com/5830748/why-i-...-it-feels-like

I will say the yoga ball was great when I was in labor too.
    God Bless you, I would kill myself on that thing.
    My laptop sits on my kitchen island so I stand or kind of lean with one butt cheek on a stool -the amount of leaning depends on how much wine I had at dinner.

My desk is where I sit back and relax after a day of standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    God Bless you, I would kill myself on that thing.
    My laptop sits on my kitchen island so I stand or kind of lean with one butt cheek on a stool -the amount of leaning depends on how much wine I had at dinner.

You would be amazed how easy it is to balance on it. It helps your back and puts less pressure on your legs. The chair is under $75.00 and the ball is under $25.00. Believe me it is a godsend when I was in extreme labor pains (natural child birth).

Um, no thanks.

Forget Standing Desks. Hamster Wheel Desks Are What's Up

Here's more evidence that our workday really is a rat race.

Behold the Hamster Wheel Standing Desk by San Francisco-based artist Robb Godshaw and developer Will Doenlen. The creators say they built it as an alternative to the treadmill desk, and they even made their design instructions public, so you can build your own.
    "The treadmill desk has become a fixture in a lot of Bay Area office scenes," Godshaw told The Huffington Post. "The issues with treadmills are that you don't set your own pace, and they're not interesting as furniture."

On the DIY-sharing website Instructables, the two posted directions for how to make the contraption. The wheel is 80 inches in diameter and is mounted on skateboard wheels; there is no brake on the wheel, which they insist will "really force the productivity out of the desk user." (You'll have to add your own straw-like water dispenser to go full-hamster.)

Asked if he thought the hamster wheel could catch on in the workplace, Godshaw said its future is now in the hands of anyone who wants to build their own.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ir=Health+News

Finished my standing desk. Works great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	standing desk 1 small.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	3121

Name:	standing desk 2 small.jpg 
Size:	288.4 KB 
ID:	3122
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post

Name:	standing desk 1 small.jpg 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	3121

Very nice.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Your pc wallpaper reminds me of how annoyed I am of constantly being fed "artist's conceptions" from NASA. It's all we ever get. You'd think that with all of the technology on board these spacecraft that they'd give us actual visuals. I mean, why wouldn't they? We're paying for it. Right? MAVEN just went into Mars orbit and all we get is an artist conception. Again. That thing has cameras on it. And I'm sure HD quality that can zoom in on a rock the size of a baseball if'n it wanted. But nooooo. Artist conceptions. That's what we get.

Ah well. Nice desk anyhoo.

But nooooo. Artist conceptions. That's what we get.
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140921.html
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about pooping.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Your pc wallpaper reminds me of how annoyed I am of constantly being fed "artist's conceptions" from NASA. It's all we ever get. You'd think that with all of the technology on board these spacecraft that they'd give us actual visuals. I mean, why wouldn't they? We're paying for it. Right? MAVEN just went into Mars orbit and all we get is an artist conception. Again. That thing has cameras on it. And I'm sure HD quality that can zoom in on a rock the size of a baseball if'n it wanted. But nooooo. Artist conceptions. That's what we get.

Ah well. Nice desk anyhoo.
    My understanding is that it is a photo and not a painting.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/im...m?imageId=2315

My understanding is that it is a photo and not a painting.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/im...m?imageId=2315
    Yeah, that one on your desktop is a panoramic made of genuine images. It has still been manipulaterd but real images none the less. As I said, I was just reminded of the phenomenon that we do generally get artist conceptions. Especially when it comes to the plantets and moons where these spacecraft are in actual orbit. Shouldn't need an artist conception if the thing is in orbit.

Maybe should go probably harass Massie about it if I see him in chat. Heh. That'd be a hoot alright.

<insert YouTube recognition of Beavis and Butt-Head jamming "Flushing The Log" to Judas priests "Breaking the Law." >

Can't find the YouTube. Did I and some friends just make it up while watching Beavis an Butt-Head in the long ago?

Flushing-the-log....
    Breaking-the-law...

I'm sure it was the creators of the show. Then again...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast