Thread: Michigan Township To Put Cameras ‘In Every Neighborhood’

Michigan Township To Put Cameras ‘In Every Neighborhood’

by Mikael Thalen
    February 28th, 2014

Officials in Ypsilanti Township, Michigan are working with police to put surveillance cameras in every single neighborhood.

After placing multiple cameras throughout the city’s West Willow neighborhood several years ago, township officials claim the programs vast success, which is reportedly centered around one single case, warrants an expansive rollout to every last neighborhood.

When attempting to find public support for the program, WDIV used quick editing to create the desired answer from a surveillance weary resident.

“When they put the security cameras up I kind of thought crime would decrease and it kind of has in a way…” Tony Slaughter hesitantly said before being cut off mid-sentence.

Mike Radzik, the director of the Office of Community Standards, justified the program by claiming that the cameras were no different than police officers constantly standing in the neighborhood.

“We are recording images that a police officer would see if he or she were standing in the same place,” Radzik said. “They are only in public places.”

Not only has the township seemingly decided to go forward with the program without public input, residents will be required to pay a fee for the township’s venture.

“The township will invest in the infrastructure, actually put the cameras out and deploy them and there will be a special assessment on the homes in the neighborhood for the operating expense going forward, which will be a very nominal fee for this measure of public safety,” Radzik said.

Despite a clear attempt by WDIV to portray massive public support for the incoming cameras, a quick glance at comments from residents shows quite the opposite.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If they started in Detroit, the cameras would quickly end up in the local Pawn Shops.

“What’s next ? In our homes? Our showers? “Our minds?” Alissa Fortin said.

I've got no problem with cameras on public property.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Yeah, cuz, you know, nothing says freedom like cops watching you 24/7.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

They must have a lot of money to burn?

Other peoples?

And they wonder where the jobs go.

This is extremely short-sighted: It's one thing for there to be "cameras on public property" given a reasonable decentralization of ownership and power, but scale it up and it's something entirely different for local governments with ties to the federal government having one-way access to watching and tracking anyone and everything at all times, in such a way that they can follow your progress from your house to anywhere else you go in the country (eventually). Of course, the actual residents don't get to be the ones doing the watching (just the friendly neighborhood jackboots that watch over them in their great kind-hearted benevolence), but they're sure as hell going to pay for their surveillance at the point of a gun. Now do you see the problem?
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 03-02-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yeah, cuz, you know, nothing says freedom like cops watching you 24/7.
    The "Default" used to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Today the "Default" is that everyone is a criminal for some very minor difference of opinion. Yet, the very idea that they need to watch us 24/7 implies that they "do not Trust" us, which has the potential for some people to behave in an Untrustworthy manner. Its another vicious cycle. The less they trust us, the more laws get passed that turns the ordinary person into a criminal, which causes more surveillance, which causes yet even more laws that further limit what we can and can not do.

They hire more cops, so those cops can give more tickets, so those tickets can bring in money, so they can hire more cops.

Edit: It is that very type a thinking that will result in mandatory cameras in your house, for your safety of course.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 03-02-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No offense, but what about getting charged with a "victimless crime" while on that public property? Like failure to "keep off the grass"?
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

by Mikael Thalen
    February 28th, 2014

Officials in Ypsilanti Township, Michigan are working with police to put surveillance cameras in every single neighborhood.
    The township leadership should be kicked out of the country. There is no place for people like that in America. I'm sure Russia and China would love to have them.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

So, I live in the township adjacent to this.

The neighborhood where the cameras went up before is called "West Willow" and is physically separated from the rest of the township thanks to a triangle of freeways. There are literally 4 roads in or out of the neighborhood.

So there's a good reason that those cameras "worked" there (assuming for a moment that they did): they were able to track anyone going in and out of the whole area with little work.

Cameras in a more traditional neighborhood wouldn't be able to track people quick enough to actually catch anyone before they left the township.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    So, I live in the township adjacent to this.

The neighborhood where the cameras went up before is called "West Willow" and is physically separated from the rest of the township thanks to a triangle of freeways. There are literally 4 roads in or out of the neighborhood.

So there's a good reason that those cameras "worked" there (assuming for a moment that they did): they were able to track anyone going in and out of the whole area with little work.

Cameras in a more traditional neighborhood wouldn't be able to track people quick enough to actually catch anyone before they left the township.
    ...until of course they're ubiquitous and linked up to a central system that can track anyone anywhere from California to Maine, all at the low price of [who cares, taxpayers are paying for it].
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Lol.

Waits for Michigan to make ED-209s a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    ...until of course they're ubiquitous and linked up to a central system that can track anyone anywhere from California to Maine, all at the low price of [who cares, taxpayers are paying for it].
    Paid for by a "nominal special tax assessment" whether you like it or not!
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mczerone View Post
    Paid for by a "nominal special tax assessment" whether you like it or not!
    Is that the one where they go up through your butt?

I don't know why people are complaining.

A 'majority,' that cannot be named individually or held personally responsible, approved this.

Locally, too.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post

A 'majority,' that cannot be named individually or held personally responsible, approved this.

Locally, too.
    Yay! Democrazy!

Locally, too.
    I'm sure glad that authoritarians get to try over and over and over, and whenever they get 50%+1 just once, by any means necessary, our children and children's children and their great great grandchildren forever down the line will get to endlessly enjoy the wonderful fruits of their wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    I'm sure glad that authoritarians get to try over and over and over, and whenever they get 50%+1 just once, by any means necessary, our children and children's children and their great great grandchildren forever down the line will get to endlessly enjoy the wonderful fruits of their wisdom.
    And they are forever wise; I'm glad you've come to terms with the fact. Those who question Their [infinite] wisdom are surely lunatics.

I mean, how on earth could society function without a minority's rights being violated? The mere notion sounds like unicorn lane, fantasyville. The radicals.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

And they are forever wise; I'm glad you've come to terms with the fact. Those who question Their [infinite] wisdom are surely lunatics.

I mean, how on earth could society function without a minority's rights being violated? The mere notion sounds like unicorn lane, fantasyville. The radicals.
    It would be ANARCHY! The very word sends shivers of terror up my spine.

With spying via Xbox and computers and the advent of black boxes in automobiles maybe every rolling vehicle will have cameras inside and out affording mass surveillance. Of course cameras will only malfunction or will be programmed to be jammed by police cruisers because we need to protect the identity of any alleged violations until proven guilty.
    Last edited by Schifference; 03-03-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    With spying via Xbox and computers and the advent of black boxes in automobiles maybe every rolling vehicle will have cameras inside and out affording mass surveillance.
    How do we know they are not already doing it? OnStar could be videoing you as well as audio recording you.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

How do we know they are not already doing it? OnStar could be videoing you as well as audio recording you.
    I don't use OnStar or have a webcam (or even microphone) on my computer or have Xbox Live. I care about my privacy. There are still a few of us left and I notice we tend to be a lot more common in New Hampshire than in other states.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

We don't I am just using logic to take this technology to the next level. Why pay for cameras when all these vehicles have GPS and could send visual to headquarters? I am certain software could be written that could get an immediate visual on any GPS location.
    Last edited by Schifference; 03-03-2014 at 12:43 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who knows maybe "ObamaView" can be placed into effect making it mandatory for older vehicles to have computer technology retrofitted to promote a safer environment. Just think of all the jobs this measure will create. Who ever said that govt doesn't create jobs. The contract can of course go out in a no bid fashion to some trusted entity.

Who knows maybe "ObamaView" can be placed into effect making it mandatory for older vehicles to have computer technology retrofitted to promote a safer environment. Just think of all the jobs this measure will create. Who ever said that govt doesn't create jobs. The contract can of course go out in a no bid fashion to some trusted entity.

Don't give these fools anymore ideas!

We don't I am just using logic to take this technology to the next level. Why pay for cameras when all these vehicles have GPS and could send visual to headquarters? I am certain software could be written that could get an immediate visual on any GPS location.
    I'm not against the GPS concept. Buy a used portable GPS for $40 on ebay. That way it isn't connected to OnStar, or any car company. Many new cars come with GPS systems built in. I don't trust those because the GPS is connected to the owner of the car and the license plate. It's a great way to be tracked. If I had 1 in a car I owned, I'd rip it out and put a portable GPS where it used to be

Similarly, I don't plan on using a GPS system that is cell phone based, since the cell phone number and name would likely be connected to me. If the government wants to track me, it needs to attach a bug to my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    They must have a lot of money to burn?

Other peoples?

And they wonder where the jobs go.
    We dont need jobs! We have Welfare and Unemployment! Less jobs will "fix" teh economies!
    1776 > 1984

That sounds eerily accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    Lol.

Waits for Michigan to make ED-209s a reality.
    Please put down your joint. You have 20 seconds to comply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.