Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest coffee trend is to put butter in your coffee

Latest coffee trend is to put butter in your coffee

Has anyone tried this? I read somewhere on the forums someone puts coconut oil in their coffee.

The latest trend in coffee may boost your energy and help you lose weight. Or maybe you’ll just throw up.

Go ahead, put some butter in your joe.

Well, not just any butter, and not just any coffee. The butter has to be unsalted and grass-fed, and the coffee beans have to be low-toxin – not the ones you find at the supermarket or Starbucks.

Let Dave Asprey, creator of Bulletproof Coffee, explain.

The caffeine in normal coffee, Asprey says, gives you an initial buzz, but in a while you’ll eventually crash. His low-toxin Bulletproof Coffee, on the other hand, contains MCT oil – a blend of coconut and palm oil – and has healthy fats that keep you going for hours.

“It’s about how you feel two hours later,” Asprey said. “With normal coffee, you get a food craving and get tired two hours later. [Bulletproof coffee] doesn’t cause a 10:30 crash we’re used to. It gives you a huge boost over normal coffee.”

Asprey says MCT oil is digested faster than other fats, so it boosts energy and promotes weight loss. He says he adds it to his coffee to provide “laser focus.”

“When you blend low-toxin coffee with butter and octane oil (MCT oil), the butter turns off some of your food cravings and provides things the brain needs, including micronutrients,” he said. “It turns off inflammation in the brain.”

Asprey insists on grass-fed, unsalted butter because “there are a lot of inflammatory ingredients in normal butter.” The same applies to much of the coffee sold in the U.S., which he says is filled with fungal toxins.

The practice of putting a pat of butter in your morning drink isn't new. For generations, Tibetans have made yak butter tea. In fact, Asprey came up with the idea of putting butter in his coffee after trying yak butter tea during a visit to Tibet three years ago. A health and fitness fanatic who had given up coffee, he’d found the perfect solution.

“I wanted to drink coffee, and some days it didn’t make me feel good. I would get groggy,” he said.

As for the taste, Asprey says “It’s like the creamiest latte you’ve ever had.”

So I tried it. And I agree –- it tastes like a latte. But I wasn’t a huge fan of the butter. I felt full and satisfied, but also a little sick.

Asprey says his butter-coffee devotees have grown to 3 million and they swear by it. Many follow a paleo diet, which is high in animal fats and protein.

But is this stuff all it’s cracked up to be?

“There’s no scientific evidence to support the idea that adding butter to coffee provides an extra energy boost or that it may help you lose weight,” said registered dietitian Tanya Zuckerbrot. “However, these claims may have some merit based on what we know about fat and digestion.”

Zuckerbrot said people need some fat in their diets, in part because it helps the body absorb nutrients in the foods they eat.

“We also know that fat slows down digestion,” she said. “Therefore, in theory, butter could slow the absorption of caffeine into the bloodstream. This would result in a prolonged energy boost rather than the peak and crash you might experience if you drank your coffee without the fat.”

Zuckerbrot, author of “Miracle Carb Diet: Make Calories and Fat Disappear – with Fiber,” said she knows people who add butter to their coffee and swear by the results.

But butter is very high in saturated fat, and some health experts caution that it can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke. And while this elixir will make you feel full, it’s worth noting that adding the recommended 2 tablespoons of butter to your coffee will also add about 200 calories.

Want to try it? Here’s how to make your coffee Bulletproof-style

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ntcmp=obinsite

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Plain ol' black/thick Folgers for me..

Thanks anyway...

I am going to have step in here and insist that unsalted butter is clearly the work of the devil.

But i might try it. Not that I expect to lose weight, but just because I want to see what it tastes like.

Ya I do about 1+ tbs of grass fed butter, 1+ tbs of coconut oil and about a teaspoon of MCT oil.

There is a TON of fat in my coffee, and it's great, because fat is really where you are supposed to get your energy from, not carbs and not caffeine. In fact I only do 1/2 a scoop of regular coffee and 1/2 a scoop of decaf because I don't like that much caffeine, but it's all up to the individual.

One problem is that the fat doesn't mix very well into the coffee unless you have a milk frother or blender or something.

Well, Amazon has a "milk frother" that costs about $5 that mixes the fats right in.

I end up making something like an espresso with my aerobie coffee maker ($35 on amazon) which you can custom make your coffee with however strong you want.

Then I pour the espresso into my butter/coconut oil/mct. When it melts a little I blend it in with the frother.

Then I heat up some milk and froth it up and put it on top and pour a little bit of milk in and that is how I like it, you can make it any way you want that tastes good.

Then I top my high fat coffee off with 3-4 free range eggs and 3-4 slices of bacon.
    Last edited by dannno; 03-02-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I love my coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil. It makes it nice a creamy. I believe Acala uses butter in his coffee if I am not mistaken.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Thanks anyway...
    , I thinking of trying it ghetto style
    Folgers & unsalted Kroger butter

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I love my coffee with a tablespoon of coconut oil. It makes it nice a creamy. I believe Acala uses butter in his coffee if I am not mistaken.
    Do you froth it like danno or just plop it in there? I like mine creamy too.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya I do about 1+ tbs of grass fed butter, 1+ tbs of coconut oil and about a teaspoon of MCT oil.

There is a TON of fat in my coffee, and it's great, because fat is really where you are supposed to get your energy from, not carbs and not caffeine. In fact I only do 1/2 a scoop of regular coffee and 1/2 a scoop of decaf because I don't like that much caffeine, but it's all up to the individual.

One problem is that the fat doesn't mix very well into the coffee unless you have a milk frother or blender or something.

Well, Amazon has a "milk frother" that costs about $5 that mixes the fats right in.

I end up making something like an espresso with my aerobie coffee maker ($35 on amazon) which you can custom make your coffee with however strong you want.

Then I pour the espresso into my butter/coconut oil/mct. When it melts a little I blend it in with the frother.

Then I heat up some milk and froth it up and put it on top and pour a little bit of milk in and that is how I like it, you can make it any way you want that tastes good.

Then I top my high fat coffee off with 3-4 free range eggs and 3-4 slices of bacon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I butter my toast then dip the toast in the coffee. So, I suppose some butter ends up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I am going to have step in here and insist that unsalted butter is clearly the work of the devil.

But i might try it. Not that I expect to lose weight, but just because I want to see what it tastes like.

I'm not really expecting to lose weight but I'm kind of coffee curious. I'll feel a little dirty buying the unsalted butter but $#@! it, ya only live once.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post

Bookmarked for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm not really expecting to lose weight but I'm kind of coffee curious. I'll feel a little dirty buying the unsalted butter but $#@! it, ya only live once.
    Ha! I actually have some in my fridge that y kid bought by mistake when I sent him to the store. If it hasn't gone rancid, I may have finally found a use for it!

Do you froth it like danno or just plop it in there? I like mine creamy too.
    I have a Keurig so I put some coconut oil in my empty cup. The hot coffee comes out and melts it, then I stir it.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Thanks anyway...
    may have to send you a pack of Community Coffee.
    how much kick you want out of your coffee? your answer will make the difference between dark or new orleans blend(with chicory)

rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Eww, this sounds disgusting! It would make more sense to use 12 hour energy if you want a slower extended release of caffeine.

That said, I'm not surprised especially with all the weird drink options offered at cafes. I drink my tea and coffee straight up, but I have friends that go to Starbucks and get like an expresso with a shot of vanilla, hazelnut, and then they add milk, sugar, and cream to it. They're totally ruining the coffee IMO.

Butter eats grass? (all you are doing is adding a fat to your coffee- the same as putting in half and half or creamer or cream- just being snootier about WHICH fat you add to WHICH coffee).

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Butter eats grass?
    yes, please and thank you.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Bulletproof coffee. It is fairly typical in the primal community. I'm not a fan personally.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ive tried most of the suggestions in this thread; I've settled on cream or half and half and call it good morning.

About a month back, based on a friend's suggestion, I started putting a dollop of coconut oil in my coffee and used the blender (Magic Bullet) to mix it up. It turns nice and creamy. No milk needed. Now, that's the only way I would have coffee. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Liberty View Post
    Eww, this sounds disgusting! It would make more sense to use 12 hour energy if you want a slower extended release of caffeine.

That said, I'm not surprised especially with all the weird drink options offered at cafes. I drink my tea and coffee straight up, but I have friends that go to Starbucks and get like an expresso with a shot of vanilla, hazelnut, and then they add milk, sugar, and cream to it. They're totally ruining the coffee IMO.
    Starbucks mocha chip frappuccinos (the ones you buy at the coffee shop, not the store bought ones) are the nectar of the Gods but I count it as a milkshake, not a coffee.

I misread the title as "Latest coffee trend is to put coffee in your butt"

Apparently that's actually a thing these days...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_enema

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have a Keurig so I put some coconut oil in my empty cup. The hot coffee comes out and melts it, then I stir it.
    Jealous, I would like a Keurig but my husband said no, he would like to retire one day. I'm going to try this tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post

Well, you'd definitely lose weight.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, you'd definitely lose weight.
    Folgers should start a line of coffee enemas.

"The best part of waking up is Folgers in your butt!"

Jealous, I would like a Keurig but my husband said no, he would like to retire one day. I'm going to try this tomorrow.
    Now that they have the newer one, you can get the older versions so cheap. My parents got me the K60/K65 from Kohl's for $60 with a coupon.

Starbucks mocha chip frappuccinos (the ones you buy at the coffee shop, not the store bought ones) are the nectar of the Gods but I count it as a milkshake, not a coffee.
    I agree; like half the stuff on their menu is dessert in a cup. My friends rave about them, but I drink coffee in the morning and don't like really sweet stuff that early and have yet to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post

ROFL

There's also elephant dung coffee http://abcnews.go.com/Business/eleph...ry?id=18730668

I got it as a gift. I also roast my own organic coffee and have reusable K-cups. Tell him you save lots of money that way. K-cups are expensive.

I just roasted a batch of organic Mexican Chiapas and put raw hazelnuts in so I can have a cup of hazelnut coffee with a dollop of organic coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Liberty View Post
    Now that they have the newer one, you can get the older versions so cheap. My parents got me the K60/K65 from Kohl's for $60 with a coupon.

ROFL

There's also elephant dung coffee http://abcnews.go.com/Business/eleph...ry?id=18730668
    I don't think it's the price of the machine that concerns him, I drink a lot of coffee and those pods can get pretty pricey.

I'm not cool enough for elephant dung coffee...
    The crap-punccino jokes aside
    LOL

I don't think it's the price of the machine that concerns him, I drink a lot of coffee and those pods can get pretty pricey.
    Like Donnay, I use the reusable K-Cup. It is much cheaper than the disposable k-cups and tastes better (the disposable k-cups taste like instant coffee.)

I'm not cool enough for elephant dung coffee...
    LOL

I am the cheapest person on the planet. Practically everything I buy is secondhand. I used several gift cards to splurge and buy a Keurig machine a few years back, and it died just a few months after the warranty ran out. Reading the Amazon ratings, it seems that I'm not the only person who was disappointed that way.

Now I am back to a boring old Mr Coffee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast