Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is food price inflation taking off?

Beef Prices Surge Most In A Decade As Food Inflation Soars

Just a month ago we warned that food inflation was on its way. Today we got the first confirmation that problems are on their way. While headline data washes away the nuance of what eating, sleeping, energy-using human-beings are paying month-in and month-out, the fact, as WSJ reports, that beef prices surged by almost 5% in February - the biggest change since Nov 2003 - means pinching consumers and companies pocketbooks that are still grappling with a sluggish economic recovery. "Things are definitely more expensive," exclaimed on mother of three, "I can't believe how much milk is. Chicken is crazy right now, and beef - I paid $5 a pound for beef!" Just don't tell the Fed!
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...nflation-soars
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Food prices are volatile. It's probably just a blip. Next month they may go down again.
    Well, I will admit that for me personally, at least, this did not happen. Food prices at Aldi have gone up and stayed up on a whole panoply of items, and Aldi's niche is being no-frills and rock-bottom prices. Prices at another grocery store I use have not gone up noticeably, however.

It is the truth that food prices are volatile, though. So I hold out hope that next month they'll finally go back down again.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Food prices are increasing because commodity prices are increasing. See my thread "There's no inflation." Prices are up 20% since the beginning of the year.

Corn is @ $4.80 , Oil @ $98 . No water in California . I do not see prices going anywhere but up .

Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    Food prices are increasing because commodity prices are increasing. See my thread "There's no inflation." Prices are up 20% since the beginning of the year.
    Fed prints money, gives it to Wall St., they invest in commodities and eventually drive up food prices... monetary inflation turns into price inflation.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

About twice a month the local meat cutter has chicken legs & thighs @ 99 cents a pound . I am looking forward to it warming up and throwing some on the grill

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    They're making Gatorade bottles smaller! 32oz being replaced with 28oz bottles along with price increases. That's where I draw the line. Don't mess with my Gatorade....
    Ha! That's nothing!! They started making the rolls of Charmin thinner! You could say they squeezed the Charmin!! (you have to be old to get that one)

I'm still waiting for oil to go up. That'll be the beginning of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Corn is @ $4.80 , Oil @ $98 . No water in California . I do not see prices going anywhere but up .
    Plus the hot summer last year also killed crops and caused ranchers to sell off beef instead of paying the costs of feeding and watering them. Temporarily lowered beef prices last year but meant lower supplies and higher prices this year. Now with the drought, dairy farmers are selling cows (and more demand for milk to make more cheese) are driving up prices of dairy items. They will continue to rise as the food that California isn't producing as much of now is expected to hit the market. Weather all over the country had been effecting supplies for a couple years now.

Global warming?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-20-2014 at 01:05 PM.

JPM selling it's commodities trading division to a Swiss company, Mercuria for $3.5B.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2I0LG20140319
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Plus the hot summer last year also killed crops and caused ranchers to sell off beef instead of paying the costs of feeding and watering them. Temporarily lowered beef prices last year but meant lower supplies and higher prices this year. Now with the drought, dairy farmers are selling cows (and more demand for milk to make more cheese) are driving up prices of dairy items. They will continue to rise as the food that California isn't producing as much of now is expected to hit the market. Weather all over the country had been effecting supplies for a couple years now.

Global warming?
    Well , rumors I was hearing last yr was that a lot of the dairy cows went into slaughter as well . By late spring , summer , I would expect to see things like milk , beef , lettuce etc continue to rise .... also , anything associated with corn feed , chicken , fuel etc

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    JPM selling it's commodities trading division to a Swiss company, Mercuria for $3.5B.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A2I0LG20140319
    I have not checked in awhile , but JPM was probably at the top end of commodities .....

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'm still waiting for oil to go up. That'll be the beginning of the end.
    Considering how slow economic growth is everywhere , it is very high now . If the economies ever really took off , it would go through the roof and crash it , I imagine ...

I stopped by the meat cutters today , picked up 3 1/4 lbs of pork ribs , a 2 1/2 lb beef roast , cost me $15.79 , total . Those were on sale. That is higher than just a couple months ago .....

We are at , about , wholesale gasoline , $2.90 , Nat Gas , $ 4.37 , , Heating Oil , $2.92 , Copper , around $3 , Silver , around $20 1/3 ,Oil , $99.43 , Brent Crude , $106.45 , Gold , $1333 , Platinum $1432 , Palladium , $769 . Food prices are about to take off , wages and employment will not . So , there it is. If people want to eat well , they will have to spend more to do so , they just are not going to get a raise to go with it , or probably a job , if they are young , inexperienced and do not have one . Just my guess .....

I'm biased but skeptical because my income benefits from high food prices.

I see it as chickens coming home to roost. Until ethanol subsidies started, the price of grains remained the same for about 40 years due to farm subsidies. Meanwhile the inflation for everything else rose around the grains.

There's just so much BS interference involved with food production. The government promotes wheat farming and uses that wheat as a political tool overseas.

Corn ethanol price supports expired in January 2012. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011...it-theres-more

But I believe there is still a reqirement that a certain amount still be produced every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Corn ethanol price supports expired in January 2012. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011...it-theres-more

But I believe there is still a reqirement that a certain amount still be produced every year.
    Subsidies, shmubsidies. There's always another way to accomplish the same thing by interfering in the market and creating a fake demand. http://www.epa.gov/OTAQ/fuels/renewablefuels/

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

LibForestPaul

How much food price incr is due to China's incr demand? I know if I were in China with cash, I would be purchasing foodstuff from abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Tyler added to the list again: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...w-orange-juice

I only drink fresh squeezed OJ, which means I hardly ever drink any at all! Way too expensive.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Well, I will admit that for me personally, at least, this did not happen. Food prices at Aldi have gone up and stayed up on a whole panoply of items, and Aldi's niche is being no-frills and rock-bottom prices. Prices at another grocery store I use have not gone up noticeably, however.

It is the truth that food prices are volatile, though. So I hold out hope that next month they'll finally go back down again.
    The prices have Aldi have dropped back down to normalcy. And the peasants rejoiced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Tyler added to the list again: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...w-orange-juice

I only drink fresh squeezed OJ, which means I hardly ever drink any at all! Way too expensive.
    What's wrong with frozen? Frozen is fresher -- strange but true! Unless by "fresh-squeezed" you mean fresh from the tree growing in your backyard, frozen is fresher than "fresh-squeezed". Transportation takes time. Frozen orange juice can be all made and frozen just hours after the oranges in it were picked.

And it's so much more convenient, because it never goes bad!

What's wrong with frozen? Frozen is fresher -- strange but true! Unless by "fresh-squeezed" you mean fresh from the tree growing in your backyard, frozen is fresher than "fresh-squeezed". Transportation takes time. Frozen orange juice can be all made and frozen just hours after the oranges in it were picked.

And it's so much more convenient, because it never goes bad!
    ::gags:: I'd rather squeeze my own, thanks!
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Isn't freedom super? We can each do what works for us!

Usually eggs would be on sale this week. Only one store in my area has done that this year. $3 for 18. Not the best price ever.

Noticed that not many things are on sale at all this week. That's where the big price difference is. Many items regularly go on sale for 50% off. If those discounts end, there's a default 100% price increase.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    US cattle herd is the lowest it has been for years.... Hmmm Bundy.... There are other factors but the environmental push to drive people out of eating beef is playing a role.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    US cattle herd is the lowest it has been for years.... Hmmm Bundy.... There are other factors but the environmental push to drive people out of eating beef is playing a role.
    Yeah, the vegetarian Marxists want to impose their will on all. They had a bit of a set-back after getting people to eat poison (hydrogenated oils) for decades. They are back with a vengeance.

As someone who is attempting to ghetto Primal diet on $189 in foodstamps a month, yes it has gone up considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    As someone who is attempting to ghetto Primal diet on $189 in foodstamps a month, yes it has gone up considerably.
    1. Get a damn job! You're a young fella, and you learn a lot from even the most basic jobs.
    2. Learn how to cook and it's easy to live on far less than what you're getting. Buy a whole turkey or chicken, a bag of frozen broccoli (or fresh if it's cheaper), some ginger/garlic, and whatever vegetables are in season. Cut the breasts off the chicken and use it to make stir-fry. Cut up the rest of the chicken and make roasted legs/thighs. Save the bones and make stock. Freeze the stock until you need it.

Basic herbs/spices you need--and you can grow most of them easily in CA:

garlic
    ginger
    rosemary
    cilantro
    basil
    paprika
    salt/pepper
    red pepper flakes
    cayenne
    cumin

Food stamps can be used to buy seeds and vegetable plants, which surprised me when I found out, but it makes sense. Grow some broccoli, peppers, lettuce, spinach, kale, etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast