Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is food price inflation taking off?

Is food price inflation taking off?

Do food prices seem to have gone up at an accelerated rate lately? I hadn't done a lot of grocery shopping since the holidays. Went this week and was kind of surprised at the price increases over the past couple of months. Anyone else notice this?

All of that monetary inflation may be coming home to roost.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It depends. Beef prices are higher by far, but most other local stuff seems fairly similar in price here. Imported items are higher (plantains have doubled in price).

I dont know about food prices but I know finding part time work is much harder than it used to. Way fewer job postings for restaurant staff for example. I used to be able to get to pick which of many jobs I wanted to take now Im struggling to find one place that is hiring.

I noticed it in breakfast cereals and canned goods.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Eagles' Wings

We do a weekly trip to Trader Joe's and the prices are holding steady there. Fun place to shop, too. Always enjoy a little free cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Eggs have gone up. I don't buy eggs too often, my Aunt & Uncle have chickens and give me all the eggs I'll carry off but I was busy at Christmas and bought 36 eggs at Sams Club for 4.7something - last week I was in Sams and noticed the same eggs were 5.5something . That seemed like an awfully big jump in 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    We do a weekly trip to Trader Joe's and the prices are holding steady there. Fun place to shop, too. Always enjoy a little free cup of coffee.
    I went there too and didn't notice price increases there.

Another place I went was Target. Supposedly discounts, but prices seemed higher than the normal grocery store.

Eagles' Wings

Another place I went was Target. Supposedly discounts, but prices seemed higher than the normal grocery store.
    I especially like a smaller store like Trader Joe's or Aldi's. It's a quick trip that way. Have not compared prices at Target, just don't like to shop there in general.

I've actually considered a membership at Costco because they have a good rep for high quality fresh food at low prices. Don't know if I can stand the warehouse though.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe the food industry is working to adjust to the raise in minimum wage. IMO food prices have been rising steadily for years though.

Food prices will really start to increase , oh , this spring and summer , just getting started .

I do not price cereals , but , yes the canned goods have gone up and will continue to do so .

The only Target near me , well I never shop there .It is very nice and very expensive . I did though one yr find a strand of Christmas lights the right color for the Mrs , to replace a strand with, I checked every other place first , they had one left ......

Wholesale gasoline getting close to $2.90 , then there is diesel .... a new diesel truck gets around 6 miles per gallon . That is how food travels. Diesel could be $4.30 next week and gasoline $3.70 , oil is about @ $103 and Brent Crude @ about $111 , no water in California , milk herds have been culled , feed prices high , you do the math....

Nat Gas sitting @ $5.45 probably less than $2 summer before last , I am not even going to look @ propane ....

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Maybe the food industry is working to adjust to the raise in minimum wage. IMO food prices have been rising steadily for years though.
    Yes they have , but wages will not , soon it will be time to add costs for any wages or healthcare , it is only just getting time for that , what you saw previously was mostly just fuel , corn , weather related , those will get no better and now extras .....

DBA (powershares agricultural etf) which invests in corn, wheat, cocoa, coffee, cattle, and hog futures is up by 13% this year.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DFF View Post
    DBA (powershares agricultural etf) which invests in corn, wheat, cocoa, coffee, cattle, and hog futures is up by 13% this year.
    Good place to be too . I can raise meat , grow corn , hunt meat , but this coffee speculation.......lol

I think we may be approaching a time where 20 % increase on everyday type items as bacon , lettuce etc will be routine

They're making Gatorade bottles smaller! 32oz being replaced with 28oz bottles along with price increases. That's where I draw the line. Don't mess with my Gatorade....
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

They've been going up fast for quite some time. If you didn't notice the first wave it's because it came in the form of getting less product (e.g. half-gallons of ice cream now being a quart and a half).

Well, I only buy beer about 4-6 times a year anymore, and man have I noticed it there.
    The last couple times it's been really difficult to get a six of anything drinkable for under $10.
    And my rule used to be that it had to be a special occasion to go over $6.

(Of course, thinking back on it, that was like 15 years ago.)
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

My theory is that global commodities rise first and then it slowly trickles down to retail. I think the best predictor of price inflation is oil. When oil starts rising, watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Well, I only buy beer about 4-6 times a year anymore, and man have I noticed it there.
    The last couple times it's been really difficult to get a six of anything drinkable for under $10.
    And my rule used to be that it had to be a special occasion to go over $6.

(Of course, thinking back on it, that was like 15 years ago.)
    Bud/Coors 12 packs are a good standardized indicator. They have gone from a standard discount price of $5.99 (within the past 8 years), to where it's now $11.99. 100% inflation in less than a decade.

Bud/Coors 12 packs are a good standardized indicator. They have gone from a standard discount price of $5.99 (within the past 8 years), to where it's now $11.99. 100% inflation in less than a decade.
    Probably only took half that long for Milk , Bacon and gasoline....

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am of the belief that the govt. is subsidizing some food stuffs so as to calm consumers and hide how bad things really are. I know they are subsiding farmers but think this may also be doing it for food caners / producers. I have a purchasing background and understand supply chain costs and there is no way some of the food on the shelves costs to produce what they are selling it for. Something is going on behind the scenes and I think they are trying desperately to hold things together with subsidies, bailouts and stealth price controls. When food prices go ballistic so will the public.

Food prices are volatile. It's probably just a blip. Next month they may go down again.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Food prices are volatile. It's probably just a blip. Next month they may go down again.
    I doubt it , soon the more expensive summer blend fuels will come out, also , when diesel goes up , prices go up , but if it goes down , prices stay .

I think in reality , taking last year , and what is likely to happen in the coming months , cumulative , could be 30 % . Will not be for me , it is something ( among many others ) that I find irritating , so I take steps to avoid it.

Certain times I can still produce pears for $3 per 2 lbs , blueberries for $3 a pint , Blackberries , probably $2 per 6 ounces ( all organic ) and meat for the cost of a 12 Ga or .30 Cal round , no more than a Buck ea , max . I used to sell , just mark up my prices a buck and shipping ,but not anymore . I put in white potatoes , white onions last Sat , I used to sell those too , but not anymore , I probably had $4 in that field , less fuel , say 2 1/2 gallons of fuel on top of that . I work fast , of course those operating costs do not figure my time , but hell , if we are eating /using all of it , no need to figure it .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast