Thread: Rand Paul fights for felon voting rights

Rand Paul fights for felon voting rights

Rand Paul fights for felon voting rights

By Halimah Abdullah, CNN
    updated 7:38 PM EST, Wed February 19, 2014

(CNN) -- Tayna Fogle sat just behind Sen. Rand Paul, nodding her head and listening as he pressed the case with Kentucky state senators to restore felon voting rights.

"Kids do make mistakes. White kids make mistakes. Black kids make mistakes. Brown kids make mistakes," Paul told the Kentucky state Senate committee considering a constitutional amendment to restore the voting rights of some felons on Wednesday. "But when you look at the prison population, three out of the four people in prison are black or brown."

Fogle whispered: "Good for you. I'm glad someone is speaking up."

She felt as if he was narrating her life.

read more:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/19/politi...ing/index.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Looks like he's being soft on crime, ..." smh

What it looks like, is that a Republican can have compassion on those that have "paid their dues", especially for non-violent offenders of, what I would call unjust, laws.

I'm sure that there are some that would rather keep a divide on certain issues so that things can just keep going the way that have been going. smh
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    What it looks like, is that a Republican can have compassion on those that have "paid their dues", especially for non-violent offenders of, what I would call unjust, laws.

Exactly. If we can't get rid of these terrible laws that people shouldn't be getting busted for (victimless crimes) then they should certainly have the chance for their rights to be restored as a step in the right direction.

Voting rights restoration is a good start... But it must be viewed as only a start!

Government stripping your "rights" to travel abroad or possess firearms must be addressed too.

These statutes were put into effect not to protect the public but to prevent action against government...

Felons are mostly poorly educated and going to vote for handouts. Voting isn't a right and only serves to take away other people's rights.

We need fewer people voting and more restrictions, not to allow everyone to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlerzzz View Post
    Felons are mostly poorly educated and going to vote for handouts.
    Ever been to a federal penitentiary?

The hacks, the psychologists, the administrators and the medical doctors are instructed to keep contact and rapport to the absolute minimum because the convicts are smarter than the staff.

Your assumption that "Felons are mostly poorly educated" is stereotypical and in my opinion wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Ever been to a federal penitentiary?

The hacks, the psychologists, the administrators and the medical doctors are instructed to keep contact and rapport to the absolute minimum because the convicts are smarter than the staff.
    Street smart wise. Looking for an edge, preying, calculating. As to their IQ levels on average, idk.