Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Rowe Touches the "Third Rail" of Retailing: Walmart

Exclamation Mike Rowe Touches the "Third Rail" of Retailing: Walmart

As frequent critic of Wal Marx and a big fan of Mike Rowe, I say the criticism is unfounded.

Good for Mike and I hope this succeeds.

"I Make America" initiative: http://www.imakeamerica.com/page.asp...&g=makeamerica

Mike Rowe WORKS Foundation: http://profoundlydisconnected.com/foundation/

Mike Rowe Touches the "Third Rail" of Retailing: Walmart

Written by Bob Adelmann

http://www.thenewamerican.com/econom...ailing-walmart

Mike Rowe, the popular host of Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel and frequent voice behind ads for Ford, Caterpillar, Motorola, and Lee’s Jeans, learned how thin his popularity is among some of his fans when he touched the "third rail" of retailing: Walmart.

In his voiceover of Walmart’s ad appearing during the Olympics, Rowe announces the retail giant’s plans to buy $250 billion worth of American merchandise over the next 10 years to put up for sale in its stores. What could be wrong with that?

Last Sunday Rowe spent most of his day responding to those who found lots of things wrong with that:

Kevin: Walmart is the last [company] I would ever think you would do anything for! Why?

Rowe: That’s easy. Walmart has committed to purchase 250 billion dollars of American made products over the next decade. In essence, that’s a purchase order made out to the USA for a quarter of a trillion dollars. That means dozens of American factories are going to reopen all over the country. Millions of dollars will pour straight into local economies, and hundreds of thousands of new manufacturing positions will need to be filled.... Isn’t this the kind of initiative we can all get behind?

Walmart, the largest retailer on the planet, with more than two million employees working in over 11,000 stores generating gross revenues approaching half a trillion dollars annually, got there by finding out what customers wanted to buy and then offering it to them at competitive prices. There is only one possible way Walmart can make such a promise: that American manufacturers will offer the best deals to Walmart’s customers. Rowe spent his Sunday afternoon articulating that simple fact to his naysayers:

Romeapple: It’s hypocrisy. Walmart’s products are all made in China. Walmart contributes to those empty [American] factories. What’s so “powerful” about an ad that makes absolutely no sense?

Rowe: That’s not entirely accurate, Romeapple. There’s a lot of merchandise currently in Walmart that’s manufactured right here in the USA.... But let’s assume ... that Walmart did get every single item from China. Wouldn’t you like to see that change? Watch the ad again. Walmart is promising to buy 250 billion dollars of American made stuff and put it on their shelves. Whatever else you might think of the company, can you really root against an initiative like that?

Let me ask it another way. Do you really think America has any hope of reinvigorating our manufacturing base without support from the biggest retailer in the world?

Rowe is behind the curve here, but makes the valid point that Walmart swings a large hammer. According to a report from the Institute for Supply Management released in January, American factory purchasing managers said new orders for goods were the highest since April 2010. Walmart is likely turning a simple fact of life — jobs are coming back to America — into a press release.

But some of Rowe’s former fans aren’t buying it:

Pat: I am uneasy about trusting Walmart to do the right things to better serve this country and its people.

Rowe: They have to make good on it, because if they’re blowing smoke, their detractors will eat them alive. I believe this thing is going to happen.... Walmart is going to buy a quarter trillion dollars of American made goods in the next ten years and put those goods on their shelves. The only question is whether or not Americans will support that effort.

If they do, we just might be looking at a stimulus that actually stimulates something.

Rowe’s contrast of Walmart’s action with the federal government's talk is spot on. The government doesn’t have one single dime to spend on "stimulus" that it hasn’t forcibly taken from someone else. Walmart doesn’t have a dime that it didn’t earn by offering a customer, via the free market in an unforced transaction, a better deal.

But Walmart is greedy, rapacious, self-serving, evil, etc., etc. Rowe’s response to that canard could have come right out of Henry Hazlitt’s Economics in One Lesson:

Rose: I want "made in America" too but make you’re sure on the side of the WORKER not the corporate greed side ok Mike? Love ya.

Rowe: Love ya back, Rose, but no thanks. You offer up a false and dangerous choice. The world is bigger than “Workers vs. Bosses,” and so is this campaign. Remember, Walmart thrives because a majority of Americans like to shop there. Like Apple, Discovery, Ford, and Facebook, Walmart does not exist for the purpose of employing people. No successful company does. Walmart’s first order of business is to serve their customer. Ultimately, the customer calls the shots. Not management. Not labor. Jobs are just a happy consequence of that success.

Former fan Sean accused Rowe of selling out to the evil empire:

Sean: I thought you were good person. But I just saw your AD that WAL-MART paid for. You’re a corporate suck, Rowe.

Rowe: Well hi there, Sean. From “good person” to corporate suck in 60 seconds! That’s gotta be a record! Let me explain something. Better sit down, as the truth may shock you. Ready? I make my living on commercial television. Not television. COMMERCIAL television.

That means I appear in television shows with commercials, paid for by corporations. I also produce television shows with commercials, paid for by corporations. I sometimes narrate television shows with commercials, paid for by corporations. And occasionally, I appear in the television commercials themselves, also paid for by corporations.

No matter what your job is Sean, if you work in commercial television, the money all flows from the same place. And no — it’s not the advertisers or the corporations that pay the bills. It’s you, Sean. The viewer. Just like the customer in a Walmart, the viewer on the sofa programs the airwaves by deciding what to watch and what to buy. In other words, you’re the boss.

Then Rowe stepped out of his role as kindly father explaining how the world works to his young naïve son, and scolded Sean (with tongue in cheek) for being part of the problem with Walmart and with any company successfully providing goods and services to its customers:

Rowe: Don’t get me wrong — I would never imply that your decision to watch a Corporate Spectacle like the International Olympic Games on a Global Network owned by one of the largest Conglomerates on Planet Earth makes you a “corporate suck.”

But I might wonder — given the purity of your own position — why you ever liked me in the first place?

Rowe then touches a sensitive issue: Part of the reason the employment rate is so low is not because employers aren’t hiring. They’re trying to hire but they can’t find qualified people who are willing to work. Here’s Rowe on that:

I know that the labor participation rate is at historic lows. I know that millions are out of work. But I also know that I’ve seen Help Wanted signs in all 50 states. Even at the height of the recession, the employers I met on Dirty Jobs were all hiring. They still are. And they all told me the same thing — the biggest challenge of running a business was finding people who were willing to learn a new skill and work hard.

As his Sunday wore on, Rowe became less forgiving in his responses, especially to those who weren’t buying his argument. He heard back from Sean:

Sean: [You] should have never done this ad due to the fact it came from Walmart. I like the message, but Walmart is one of the reasons a lot of manufacturing was lost in the United States....

Rowe: Step back for a minute. Look at what’s happening here. Walmart has just promised to do something you claim to want them to do. How do you react? Do you encourage them? Do you support them?

No. You hold fast to the party line. You lash out. Our country is falling apart around us, and you criticize me. For what? For doing a voiceover on a commercial that celebrates the dignity of hard work? I realize you’d prefer it if Costco was pushing this campaign forward, but guess what — they’re not.

Rowe is assuming here that Sean knows that Costco has supported Democrats more than 96 percent of the time, while the hated Walmart has supported Republicans 67 percent of the time. But Rowe wasn’t finished with Sean:

Rowe: Seriously Sean, do you and all the other detractors really want to see this campaign fail because it’s coming from a retailer whose policies you don’t approve of? Do us all a favor — try to get over it. Try to get over your disappointment with me. Try to get over your disappointment with Walmart. Try to get past your issues with the messenger, and take another look at the message:

A quarter trillion dollar commitment to American made products. 250,000 new jobs.

Really — what’s not to like?

Thanks for the lesson in how the real world works, Mike Rowe. Thanks for touching the third rail and creating the opportunity to promote the message of the free market that the mainstream media loves to ignore and that so many get wrong.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-24-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I just love Mike Rowe! But, I love you ^^^ more honey.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

lol I hope he runs for office some day

AS Bill Gates and Microsoft were to high tech MONOPOLY

Wal☆Mart is to the RETAIL SALES MONOPOLY

They stole ideas, destroyed businesses, used bribed government as their Mafioso strong-arm lieutenant.

Now that Wal☆Mart has driven all U.S. manufacturing/production out of the country, and mom-pop/regional retail businesses into bankruptcy or closure ... NOW that Wal☆Mart has a monopoly and owns Washington DC to enforce their business model, the new campaign to American Boobus is, they're going to buy American to sell?

$#@! WAL☭MART

PS: Wal☭Mart IT management are downright egotistical $#@!s
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Touching third rails is a dirty job ... I wanna be Mike Rowe when I grow up. *man-crush*

MIke Rowe is rara avis: a "celebrity" who says things brainfully useful & important (as opposed to brainlessly trendy & hip).

And for those who missed it the first time it was posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKzu86Agg0

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post

They stole ideas, destroyed businesses, used bribed government as their Mafioso strong-arm lieutenant.

Now that Wal☆Mart has driven all U.S. manufacturing/production out of the country, and mom-pop/regional retail businesses into bankruptcy or closure ... NOW that Wal☆Mart has a monopoly and owns Washington DC to enforce their business model, the new campaign to American Boobus is, they're going to buy American to sell?

$#@! WAL☭MART

That's BS. Quit spouting the union lies because Walmart won't unionize.

It is government infringement on business that has closed down America's small businessmen and driven product manufacturing to China/India/whatever.

Get the gov out of business and watch the resurgence of industry.
    There is no spoon.

The economic nationalism just oozes off the page. Let's just wait and see when people have to start paying more for the same products just because 'USA'.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Walmart, the largest retailer on the planet, with more than two million employees working in over 11,000 stores generating gross revenues approaching half a trillion dollars annually, got there by finding out what customers wanted to buy and then offering it to them at competitive prices. There is only one possible way Walmart can make such a promise: that American manufacturers will offer the best deals to Walmart’s customers. Rowe spent his Sunday afternoon articulating that simple fact to his naysayers:
    Not true most of the time people don't buy the best product but what is perceived as the best product.For day to day products shelf placement is probably more important than the quality of the product.Big companies can buy their products good positioning while the small companies get the lower shelf's.For example take your beer industry there are thousands of good beers out there yet most of the USA chooses to drink light-piss.

In Germany ( and many other countries ) retailers sell German products first,it doesn't matter how good they are.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't think beer is a fair comparison... I don't like the mass-produces junk but I do prefer a light beer.

That being said I know the first thing I look at is price, the second thing I look at is reviews.

Honestly I hardly ever look at an items country of origin. I don't care where it was made as long as the product is that perfect balance of quality and cost.
    Last edited by WM_in_MO; 02-20-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Econ Disciple View Post
    The economic nationalism just oozes off the page. Let's just wait and see when people have to start paying more for the same products just because 'USA'.
    So, a privately arranged agreement to source items manufactured here, isn't any good either, huh?

Look, I'm no fan of the regime in the District of Calamity either.

But there is more to 'Murica, than the government.

As much as I bash Boobus, he's still all our neighbors and family.

You keep pushing Boobus out of work and onto the dole, and, when the dole runs out, as we all know it will, then Boobus will revolt.

He will revolt in the manner of the Bolshevik.

I can see no reason to oppose a non governmental initiative to try and get Boobus back to work and off the dole, other than blind, knee jerk hatred of, you know, 'Murika.

"I totally support capitalism, and letting then markets decide who wins and loses. Unless it's Wal-Mart. Then it's my sacred duty as a capitalist to demand they be regulated and hated."

LOL

This is what some of the people (both on that article, and here...sadly) sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post

$#@! WAL☭MART

As much as I like Mike Rowe's arguments about pushing "Made in America," I will agree Walmart has a lot of shady history--from strong-arming Mom and Pops to inside political favors. One of the very reasons I do not shop there.

Here's a flashback:

Blood Rose: The Wal-Mart, Arkansas, Clinton Corruption Connection
    http://www.allrightmagazine.com/poli...onnection-971/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

More Walmart bashing (oh goodie)

Romeapple: It’s hypocrisy. Walmart’s products are all made in China.
    False.. and I do not know why this BULL$#@! LIE is so often repeated.

I am in Walmart nearly every day. I drive my wife to work and pick he up.
    When I am waiting I wander the isles and look at stuff.

Yes,,some stuff is made in China,, Some from Honduras, Romania, Mexico, AND YES, The USA.
    They are a retailer. And a successful one.

We also have a Kmart and a Sears in town. Kmart sells mostly the same products... The American flags in KMart are made in China.
    Of course their selection and their service suck really bad,, and the store is nearly empty..

But if you want to walk quietly through shelves of stuff,, Kmart is there. (with the same stuff)

I am no fan of Corporations, (or of incorporating at all),, but $#@!,, why the hate?

The local one puts as much Michigan grown produce on the shelf as they can get. And ships from elsewhere around the country,,, as well as from around the world.
    I can walk through an see "Made in USA" on a lot of products that I have no money to buy.

Want to see more,, open some damn manufacturing plants in the US and fill the shelves.

Compete damn it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Best. Comment. Ever;

Rowe: Love ya back, Rose, but no thanks. You offer up a false and dangerous choice. The world is bigger than “Workers vs. Bosses,” and so is this campaign. Remember, Walmart thrives because a majority of Americans like to shop there. Like Apple, Discovery, Ford, and Facebook, Walmart does not exist for the purpose of employing people. No successful company does. Walmart’s first order of business is to serve their customer. Ultimately, the customer calls the shots. Not management. Not labor. Jobs are just a happy consequence of that success.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

I like Mike Rowe. He seems to be a good guy. He's entertaining, and he has a great name.

But his answers to those questions don't make any sense. Who cares what geographical location something that some store sells was made?

ETA: I agree with Seraphim too. That answer he gave was great.

Walmart doesn’t have a dime that it didn’t earn by offering a customer, via the free market in an unforced transaction, a better deal.
    The author clearly doesn't have the slightest clue as to what Walmart's actual business model is. Like most of today's large companies, its business is gaming government financial incentives. The free market doesn't enter into it.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rowe had an excellent Tube on the loss of respect and dignity Americans once had for skilled labor and the trades. I'll see if I can find it. The gist being college isn't right for everyone, the skilled trades are respectable jobs to make a good living, and we need to value hard work. I actually agree with him on a lot of 'work' related issues. I'm not pro-unions, but I am pro-skilled trades (and currently it's the union run schools do a lot of that training). In fact, I strongly support the unions use as a model; work in your field while you learn a new, specialized skill.

Wal-Mart is the symptom of NWO globalizing, fascism/corpratism, unsound money and government wealth confiscation and the rampant consumerism and 'disposable' lifestyle that Americans value. There's no one single solution to the WalMart problems, but I think Rowe is doing what he thinks is best to address some of the issues.

Good on him for that! At least he's not a keyboard-warrior and is doing what he can to affect positive change!

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    The author clearly doesn't have the slightest clue as to what Walmart's actual business model is. Like most of today's large companies, its business is gaming government financial incentives. The free market doesn't enter into it.
    The market is heavily regulated. But the point of the comment you object to stands. The kinds of "financial incentives" you probably mean are things like ways to avoid paying taxes. They still have to earn that money that they're not paying in taxes (and that they shouldn't under any circumstances ever have to pay in anyway) by providing products that other people think are worth more to them than the money they have to give up for them.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    But his answers to those questions don't make any sense. Who cares what geographical location something that some store sells was made?
    When your neighbor has a job and can keep a roof over his head, he is less likely to rob you, either directly or via government.

When your neighbor has a job and can keep a roof over his head, he is less likely to rob you, either directly or via government.
    Anything that impedes trade with people elsewhere in the world makes my neighbor's john prospects worse, not better.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Want to see more,, open some damn manufacturing plants in the US and fill the shelves.
    And that is precisely what this initiative is prepared to do.

With no government involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by ghengis86 View Post
    Rowe had an excellent Tube on the loss of respect and dignity Americans once had for skilled labor and the trades. I'll see if I can find it. The gist being college isn't right for everyone, the skilled trades are respectable jobs to make a good living, and we need to value hard work. I actually agree with him on a lot of 'work' related issues. I'm not pro-unions, but I am pro-skilled trades (and currently it's the union run schools do a lot of that training). In fact, I strongly support the unions use as a model; work in your field while you learn a new, specialized skill.

Wal-Mart is the symptom of NWO globalizing, fascism/corpratism, unsound money and government wealth confiscation and the rampant consumerism and 'disposable' lifestyle that Americans value. There's no one single solution to the WalMart problems, but I think Rowe is doing what he thinks is best to address some of the issues.

Good on him for that! At least he's not a keyboard-warrior and is doing what he can to affect positive change!

Here is the article you are seeking I believe:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/why-work-smart-not-hard-is-the-worst-advice-in-the-world-15805614

Anything that impedes trade with people elsewhere in the world makes my neighbor's john prospects worse, not better.
    How does this proposal "impede trade"?

The market is heavily regulated. But the point of the comment you object to stands. The kinds of "financial incentives" you probably mean are things like ways to avoid paying taxes. They still have to earn that money that they're not paying in taxes (and that they shouldn't under any circumstances ever have to pay in anyway) by providing products that other people think are worth more to them than the money they have to give up for them.
    I'm talking about things like the deliberate strategy to offload social costs to the taxpayer. Each Walmart store costs the taxpayer an average of $100k (that's per store) per year in Medicaid subsidies alone, never mind food stamps and all the other subsidies that make their wage scale possible. Without those subsidies I don't see how they operate at a market advantage.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How does this proposal "impede trade"?
    It doesn't. It's a decision Walmart made for itself. And they'll have to deal with the consequences of it. If the American manufacturing they're trying to prop up actually has a comparative advantage over similar manufacturing that could be done elsewhere, then it will work out well for them, in which case they would have incentive to sell those American made products anyway without paying any attention to where they were made. If not, then they're fighting a losing fight that will ultimately hurt both them and the job prospects of my neighbor more than it will help. But there would be some consolation to my neighbor, since a competitor of Walmart's would be able to take advantage of that situation by selling cheap imported stuff without wasting money on American made stuff.
    Last edited by erowe1; 02-20-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Your comment is excellent. Irony? The below posted article was posted minutes ago on Zerohedge and it confirms EXACTLY what you said (government handouts drive Wal-Marts bottom line).

Wal-Mart released is quarterly earnings not long ago (and they were below expectations) and WAL-MART blamed it partially on...less government handouts to many of it's customers.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-0...-handouts-heal

I'm talking about things like the deliberate strategy to offload social costs to the taxpayer. Each Walmart store costs the taxpayer an average of $100k (that's per store) per year in Medicaid subsidies alone, never mind food stamps and all the other subsidies that make their wage scale possible. Without those subsidies I don't see how they operate at a market advantage.

I don't buy any of that. You're saying that if you make all those Walmart employees unemployed, then they'll actually get less Medicare and food stamps as unemployed people than they would as Walmart employees?

As frequent critic of Wal Marx and a big fan of Mike Rowe, I say the criticism is unfounded.

Good for Mike and I hope this succeeds.

Most of the people who criticize everything WalMart are just liberals, mad because the unions can't get in. The interviewer's response to this is evidence of that.

At least around here the people who criticize WalMart also crab about the bailouts to the automakers.

(And I don't understand why people call them WalMarx. They're not state-run, they don't get any perks and breaks that other big box stores don't.)

That is bought with relief money stolen from you.

You don't buy $#@!, cheap, Chinese or otherwise, when you are out of work and broke.

Unless you are buying it with stolen money.

It doesn't. It's a decision Walmart made for itself. And they'll have to deal with the consequences of it. If the American manufacturing they're trying to prop up actually has a comparative advantage over similar manufacturing that could be done elsewhere, then it will work out well for them, in which case they would have incentive to see it anyway without paying any attention to where it was made. If not, then they're fighting a losing fight that will ultimately hurt both them and the job prospects of my neighbor more than it will help. But there would be some consolation to my neighbor, since a competitor of Walmart's would be able to take advantage of that situation by selling cheap imported stuff without wasting money on American made stuff.

He did not say that at all.

He's actually right. See post #26.

WAL-MART admitted to exactly what he just said, around 9am THIS MORNING, upon releasing their quarterly earnings report.

I don't buy any of that. You're saying that if you make all those Walmart employees unemployed, then they'll actually get less Medicare and food stamps as unemployed people than they would as Walmart employees?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast