Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition To Split California Into Six States Given Green Light

Petition To Split California Into Six States Given Green Light

Small is beautiful!

http://reason.com/24-7/2014/02/19/pe...ia-into-six-st

A venture capitalist who feels colossal California is too unwieldy to govern is proposing to split it into six separate states, and Secretary of State Debra Bowen has given him the green light to start collecting petition signatures.

Tim Draper filed a ballot initiative in December stating that because of recent social and economic changes California has become “nearly ungovernable.”

He proposed dividing California into six states. San Diego and Orange County would make up “South California.” “West California” would include Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, while Bakersfield, Fresno and Stockton would make up the larger “Central California.” San Francisco and San Jose would be in the new “Silicon Valley.” “North California” would include the Sacramento area, and “Jefferson” would be home to the Redding and Eureka areas
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...s-green-light/
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone can collect signatures for any ballot initiative. It doesn't mean anything has been given the green light...

In order to make this plan a reality, Draper needs to start collecting signatures in order to qualify the petition for a ballot. He needs the signatures of 807,615 registered voters in 150 days, making his deadline July 18, 2014.
    Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Anyone can collect signatures for any ballot initiative. It doesn't mean anything has been given the green light...

Good luck with that.
    They should send Mark Dice out there! He'll get the siggys.
    Last edited by Lucille; 02-19-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Tim Draper filed a ballot initiative in December stating that because of recent social and economic changes California has become “nearly ungovernable.”
    Yet people get all upset when you mention secession due to the same issue at the national level.

Having more Senators from California is a bad idea.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I'll sign it! I think San Diego would be better off.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I'll sign it! I think San Diego would be better off.
    You could end up with Rep senators and so would I. I would sign it in a heartbeat but it will never happen.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Is there a position to split California into six countries instead?

I'd sign it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    OMFG! Let's not change anything! Only disaster can be the result! We must continue with the status quo.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    OMFG! Let's not change anything! Only disaster can be the result! We must continue with the status quo.
    Good boy.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Good boy.
    Woof!
    "The Patriarch"

Man, you can't post a thread like this without posting the visual...

I'd imagine the red and light blue parts would be pretty amazing.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Man, you can't post a thread like this without posting the visual...

I'd imagine the red and light blue parts would be pretty amazing.
    The orange on the bottom would be a swing state.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    The orange on the bottom would be a swing state.
    Swinging where?
    "The Patriarch"

Swinging where?
    Mexico.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Mexico.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Racist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Toilet paper.
    "The Patriarch"

I am opposed to calling my State "Silicon Valley". Call it what it is, and what I have been calling it for a decade: "New Asia".
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

San Diego and Orange County would make up “South California.” “West California” would include Los Angeles and Santa Barbara
    Merge those two. No reason for them to be separate. It's almost one continuous urban area from San Diego to Santa Barbara. Call it "Alta California".

Or split it coastal vs. inland like they did for the two States above. Call the coastal State "Alta California", call the inland State "Aztlán".
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 02-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I want to see this happen to Michigan. C'mon just separate the Peninsulas already.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Is there a position to split California into six countries instead?

I'd sign it.
    At least 1 country. California is a diseases that is bringing the US down.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 07-30-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

That is not what I said. But splitting Calif into multiple states giving them more Senators is a bad idea.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

starting with one person collecting just ten signatures and then each of those ten collecting ten each, and so on, it would only take 6 "generations" of signature collecting to gather enough signatures....

1 - 10 - 100 - 1,000 - 10,000 - 100,000 - 1,000,000
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

While I'd prefer three states (a simple North-South divide and Jefferson), I will sign this initiative and in the unlikely possibility it is on the ballot, I'll vote for it.

I don't understand the logic of the map. I've never looked at Irvine and thought "Oh, that belongs to the same region as Riverside and San Bernadino"

but I'm glad we'd be keeping San Diego as opposed to other maps.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    eh. You'd actually end up with a couple of more Republicans if that means anything to you.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    eh. You'd actually end up with a couple of more Republicans if that means anything to you.
    How many of those 6 new states (12 senators instead of 2) would end up 'R's as opposed to 'D's?

And then we have other initiatives to split some other states. How would it all work out in the wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Yep.
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 02-20-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

That is not what I said. But splitting Calif into multiple states giving them more Senators is a bad idea.
    You know what I would kind of like a senator that somewhat represents the state of Jefferson. The way that is split it would break the complete Democratic strangle hold on the state government.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    In about 20 minutes, too.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Depends upon how the split is done. This proposal would guarantee Democrat Senators for four States, and create two swing States. It would increase the number of Democrats in the US Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post
    I don't understand the logic of the map. I've never looked at Irvine and thought "Oh, that belongs to the same region as Riverside and San Bernadino"
    Yeah, natural boundaries make more sense than what they have proposed. It would be better to have coastal States and inland States, which would be divided by mountain ranges, and would also be totally different in terms of rural vs. urban.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast