Thread: Your thoughts on Scott Walker?

Your thoughts on Scott Walker?

Just genuinely curious what our peoples thoughts on him are?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He's better than most Governors in the US and did a good job with the unions. He described himself as "libertarian-leaning" in an interview with Reason.

My view is, he is a career politician and probably sides with the Republican establishment on most things. But very gutsy to take on government unions and because of that he is very polarizing in Wisconsin. People either love him or hate him. He is no Austrian , he will not open up markets to competition, but rather use government to favor large Business. For Wisconsin Taxpayers and those who care about government spending he's probably the best Governor they ever had, but he is no liberty candidate for president.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    He's better than most Governors in the US and did a good job with the unions. He described himself as "libertarian-leaning" in an interview with Reason.
    Except, he conveniently exempted the police and firefighter unions.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wis-gov-...ove-on-budget/

On "The Early Show" Walker told anchor Chris Wragge that there were 310 police and fire unions across the state that did not endorse him, but said the exemption for police and police employees was a security issue.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    So you would not vote for Gov. Walker if you lived in Wisconsin?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Except, he conveniently exempted the police and firefighter unions.
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think he is excellent. Limiting government spending, reducing taxes, limiting government employee unions are all positive results from his first term. Granted he is not Ron Paul, but as far as Republican governors go, he certainly is making a difference in limiting the size of government and compared to other governors we have had, the difference is dramatic. Remember that the state has voted for Obama the last couple of times so I think we are lucky that he was able to get into office and then survive a recall. Furthermore, he has used state power to limit localities that have restricted the freedom of their citizens, such as Milwaukee's residency rules for employees and sick time laws. I think all libertarians should be supporting him, although not a pure libertarian, he has, from a practical standpoint, done a lot consistent with our ideals.

Having grown up 20 minutes from the Wisconsin border I find it unusual there is so little discussion here. I can see where Wisconsin is going to be a Chicago from Chicago to Milwaukee if a Democrat Governor is elected.

I see the not nice changes along the North Shore when I visit my relatives in Gurnee.

Has Scott balanced the budget to a surplus? If so, you all might want to flock to vote him in again. We are still trying to dig out of the deficit here in AZ.