Thread: Shut up Lord, Your servant is praying.

Shut up Lord, Your servant is praying.

I can’t find it now, but I read a while back that a saint said, ‘in the bible we read prayers that go, “Speak Lord, your servant is listening,” yet too often our prayers go, “Shut up Lord, your servant is praying.”’

I try to remember this. Too often I find myself expecting Jesus to be a magic genie to appear and obey my prayers.

It’s nice to go into an empty Church (you can pray anywhere of course), but it feels like a mini pilgrimage. There is also a safe feeling of sanctuary from the chaotic world outside. It’s a peaceful feeling to appear before the presence of the living God and enjoy his company. The silence is never awkward.

If the mind wanders, the Lord’s Prayer is good to recite, concentrating on the words “Thy will be done.”

I’ve really taken to the Lord Jesus prayer when my mind wanders as well. “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.” (TER has been a bad influence on me. 1 Corinthians 12:3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

When the mind is calm and focused on the Trinity, whether you consider yourself worthy or not, just listen with your heart. He will hear and answer.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think you will also benefit from the Jesus Prayer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Prayer (some use a prayer rope when praying this) and this prayer book- http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/engl...rbook/main.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The Power of the Name is great indeed! This book called The Way of a Pilgrim which can be read here is an excellent primer (it is a classic of Russian Orthodox spirituality).

However, I would caution you, that it is greatly recommended by the Fathers of the Church that such a powerful prayer rule is best undertaken under the spiritual direction of a guide or confessor.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

just to add, that of course saying the Jesus Prayer (or Prayer of the Heart) is beneficial and recommended to all, and as St. Paul says we should 'pray without ceasing', however, when attempting to practice intense prayer rules whereby the nous descends into the heart using certain breathing excercises in the hesychatic tradition, it is strongly advised that someone well-practiced in the ascetic life of continous prayer guide the initiate.

This thread has more information: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...e-Jesus-Prayer
    Last edited by TER; 02-11-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ