Thread: MD-Cop "I unloaded on your dog. I killed it".

Exclamation MD-Cop "I unloaded on your dog. I killed it".

Been kinda quiet on the dog killing front, must be the cold weather.

No mention of who the people who had their dog shot are, in relation to the burglary call.

I'm assuming totally unrelated.

Police Investigating Officer's Fatal Shooting of Family Dog

Authorities are investigating an Anne Arundel County Police officer's actions after he shot and killed a family's dog. Vern, a Labrador retriever, confronted the officer in his yard.

Posted by Deb Belt (Editor) , February 02, 2014 at 02:34 PM

http://annapolis.patch.com/groups/po...-of-family-dog

The Anne Arundel County Police is investigating a confrontation Saturday afternoon when an officer searching for a burglary suspect shot and killed a Labrador retriever in the family’s front yard.

The unidentified officer was investigating a burglary in the 900 block of Lombardee Circle in Pasadena at about 4:12 pm. Feb. 1. The officer, a one year veteran of the agency went to the home at 905 Lombardee Circle. The dog, Vern, confronted the officer in the front area of the outside of the home, police said in a release, leading the officer to shoot twice,killing the dog.

The department’s release said it recognizes the sensitivity involved in a situation like this and understands that this is traumatic incident for the officer and for the family of the deceased dog. “A full investigative review will take place as we continue to gather the relevant facts in this case.”

Chief of Police Kevin Davis went to the family home.

"My deepest condolences go out to the family of Vern during this extremely difficult time," said Davis. "I personally met with the family at their residence to let them know that our department will be conducting an internal investigation into the incident to ensure that all of the pertinent facts are known, and to advance discussions regarding best practices for law enforcement when encountering animals."
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-02-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yah, now this sounds about right.

Arundel police officer kills family's dog during search

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,3864041.story

By Colin Campbell and Tim Swift, The Baltimore Sun
    5:59 p.m. EST, February 2, 2014

An Anne Arundel County police officer shot and killed a family's dog Saturday while investigating a burglary in Pasadena, officials said.

Police said the officer — a one-year veteran of the force who was not identified — was canvassing a neighborhood looking for witnesses around 4 p.m. Saturday. When the officer went to a home in 900 block of Lombardee Circle, the dog — a male Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Vern — "confronted" the officer in the front yard, police said. The officer then fired his weapon twice, killing the dog, police said.

Tim Reeves — one of Vern's owners — said he had been in the basement of his Pasadena house setting up for a Super Bowl party when his girlfriend called him from upstairs, saying she'd seen a police officer in the front yard.

"I said to him 'How can I help you, officer?'" Tim Reeves said. "He looked at me and said 'I unloaded on your dog. Your dog attacked me, and I killed it.'"

His father, Michael Reeves, who wore a denim jacket with a patch that read "Vern" on the chest, stood in the driveway. He choked up as he described where the bullet casings were found. The family has two other dogs, a Chesapeake Retriever named Jazmin and a French Bulldog named Madeline.

"I just don't get it," he said, walking inside and shaking his head.

(What's to get Mike? You're a maggot and your dog bothered our officer, so he killed it. You got a problem with that? Be thankful we didn't shoot your kids. Now, shut the $#@! up and move along. - Chief Friendly)

The family said the officer wanted to interview a neighbor and was walking across the front yards of homes on the street when the shooting happened. The Reeves family was not involved in the burglary investigation that brought the officer to their neighborhood. Vern barked and ran toward the officer, prompting the shooting, the family said.

The police department promised a full investigation and acknowledged that the shooting was a traumatic incident for the family of the deceased dog.

Anne Arundel County Police Chief Kevin Davis met with the Reeves family this weekend.

"My deepest condolences go out to the family of Vern during this extremely difficult time," Davis said in a statement.

Maryland has seen several high-profile cases of law enforcement officers killing family pets in recent years.

In August 2010, a federal police officer Keith Elgin Shepherds shot and killed a Siberian husky he claimed attacked his pet and was threatening him and his wife at a community dog park in Severn. At first, Shepherds was only questioned by police, but after community protests he was charged with animal cruelty and a weapons violation. He was eventually fined and given probation before judgment.

In July 2008, a Prince George's County SWAT team shot and killed two Labrador retrievers during a search of the home of Berwyn Height's Mayor Cheye Calvo. Police mistakenly thought his wife was involved in drug trafficking. That case garnered national attention.

Calvo was cleared of any wrongdoing, and a lawsuit against Prince George's County was settled for an undisclosed amount.

Tonya Reeves, Michael's wife and Tim's mother, hopes the Anne Arundel County police department will integrate more training for officers to teach them how to better handle such situations.

Tonya Reeves said the neighborhood is very dog and child-friendly. A park in the middle of the circle hosts touch football games in the spring and summer, she said.

"You expect to lose your pet," she said. "You know there's a good chance you'll outlive him. You always know something might happen."

But "it's devastating," she said. "He was a member of our family," she said. "It's no different from it being a person."
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 02-02-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Wow, just in time for the puppy bowl! "Guess who's getting a new dog, mundane? Yeah, you."

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Been kinda quiet on the dog killing front, must be the cold weather.
    I doubt it's really been "quiet", it's just that these things don't usually get reported, even locally. For every one that goes "viral" there must be hundreds or thousands that don't.

In any event, no $#@!s will be given, just another mangy mutt ventilated.

Though next time it could be a grandfather in his own garage -- also in the interest of "officer safety" . And again zero $#@!s will be given.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 02-02-2014 at 09:51 PM.

This is at least the second shooting of a dog in Anne Arundel County. There was a dog shot at a dog park back in 2010 or so. A cop brought a German Shepherd into a dog park on leash (bad intro right there) and an off-leash Siberian Husky started interacting with it when things got a little rough. Cop shot the Husky.

he was fatally shot by a Department of Defense officer who felt Bear-Bear was playing too roughly with his leashed German shepherd
    http://www.ohmidog.com/tag/anne-arundel-county/
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Dogs are Weapons and will be confiscated or eliminated by police by any and all means necessary.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

So working one year in law enforcement now makes one a "veteran?" Um-hmmm.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One last bump

The Reeves family was not involved in the burglary investigation that brought the officer to their neighborhood. Vern barked and ran toward the officer, prompting the shooting, the family said.

"one year veteran" That makes no sense.

The dog confronted him, what's a hero to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Czolgosz View Post
    The dog confronted him, what's a hero to do?
    The dog deserves a medal for dying in the service to his people.

Quote Originally Posted by WM_in_MO View Post
    "one year veteran" That makes no sense.
    Propaganda speak for rookie.

I was at a friend's house recently to help him with some work in his garage.

The UPS guy pulls up at the end of the driveway and 3 large weimaraners go flying at him. One jumped halfway into the van and tackled the driver.
    What does he do? He gave it a hug and pet all of them.

So what the hell are the cops afraid of again?

Quote Originally Posted by Flugel89 View Post

The UPS guy pulls up at the end of the driveway and 3 large weimaraners go flying at him. One jumped halfway into the van and tackled the driver.

Looks to me like the cops need to go to UPS training school.

"I said to him 'How can I help you, officer?'" Tim Reeves said. "He looked at me and said 'I unloaded on your dog. Your dog attacked me, and I killed it.'"

At this point in the conversation, I would say "excuse me please for just a moment" and God help that poor $#@!er if he's still standing on the front step when I got back.
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The cops are not "afraid" of anything.

That's just the legal cover, like shouting "stop resisting" as they beat people to death.

Nope, this has nothing to do with being afraid...

It has everything to do with showing you, maggot, just who the boss is.

The cops are not "afraid" of anything.

That's just the legal cover, like shouting "stop resisting" as they beat people to death.

Nope, this has nothing to do with being afraid...

It has everything to do with showing you, maggot, just who the boss is.
    I should have put quotes around "afraid."

I know it's just an excuse for most of them.

I will say though that I believe plenty of them are afraid, hence harassing kids over pot and cowering in the corner when there are real criminals around.
    Last edited by Flugel89; 02-03-2014 at 06:24 PM.

I should have put quotes around "afraid."

I know it's just an excuse for most of them.
    I'm sure you do, I just like to make that point whenever I can.

Maryland Cop Kills Dog

By Radley Balko

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/o...cop-kills-dog/

This one happened in Anne Arundel, Maryland. The officer apparently cut across the family’s yard en route to another house to ask about a burglary. In the process, the family’s Chesapeake Bay Retriever did what dogs do: It defended its turf from the unknown intruder. So the cop shot the dog.

The Baltimore Sun story linked above points out that this is merely the latest in a number of high-profile cop-shoots-dog incidents in Maryland. But it isn’t just Maryland. These stories are all over the country, and have given rise to Facebook groups and websites to track how often it happens.

It’s impossible to say if cops killing dogs becoming more or less common, although I can say that the older police officers I’ve interviewed about it seem to think it’s happening much more frequently today. One thing I can say for certain is that very few police departments give their officers training on how to read, interact, and respond to dogs. This, despite the fact that groups like the Humane Society offer the training to any department that wants it. Postal workers, for example, do get that training, and dog attacks on postal workers are rare. I’ve also yet to read of a single incident where a postal worker had to shoot a dog. Of course, postal workers don’t carry guns.

The police investigated the police and found?

Justified, of course.

Anne Arundel police exonerate officer in shoot of family dog

http://www.capitalgazette.com/maryla...96f604d70.html

Anne Arundel County police have exonerated the officer who shot and killed a family pet in Glen Burnie earlier this year, saying an internal investigation found the dog was aggressive.

Police Chief Kevin Davis said Friday that Officer Rodney Price committed no wrong doing when he shot the Timonty Reeves' dog Vern in February.

"While it is never easy to reach an objective conclusion in matters that stir so much emotion, I am satisfied with the investigative finding. It does not, however, mean there is no room for improvement," Davis wrote in a guest column published Friday in The Capital.

More at link...

The police investigated the police and found?

Justified, of course.
    Wow! That almost never happens.

This is not much different than expecting a Criminal to investigate a Criminal for Criminal behavior. Then we are supposed to be suprised when the Criminal respons with "Nope, didnt find no evidence of Criminal activity".

Unaccountable Authority
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Cop still a cop.

Jury awards 1.26 million.

Jury Awards $1.26 Million For Dog Shot, Killed By Police Officer

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/0...g-shot-by-cop/

May 10, 2017 10:35 PM By George Solis

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A jury has awarded $1.26 million to a family whose dog was shot and killed by police in February 2014.

According to a press release from the Hansel Law firm in Baltimore, the three-day trial took place in the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County.

“The verdict sends a strong message to the police about how community expectations,” said counsel for the plaintiff, Cary J. Hansel. “The duty to serve and protect extends to our animal family members as well. Shooting Vern was senseless, unnecessary and unconstitutional.”

(It sends no message at all counselor, since the guilty party has suffered no personal consequence for his action. The only people hurt here are the dog's owner, and the ever suffering taxpayers. - AF)

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.