Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The newz is rife with heroin stories....

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    Kid on my lane died of Heroin overdose this winter & good friends nephew OD'd 2 weeks ago.

F yourself if you continue to think its all media & not a real problem.
    The real problem seems to be the black market lacing the $#@!.

Can you verify that these overdoses would have occurred with pure, medical grade heroin?

Did heroin being illegal stop these overdoses from happening?

What, then, is the logical solution?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    I think sometimes Libertarians fail to understand that drugs are actually horrible.
    There are worse drugs being prescribed by doctors than the illegal drugs addicts are seeking.. but the addicts get laced drugs, which can be the most dangerous. A product of the black market.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    It's a shame that people aren't speaking up more about the how truly horrible drugs are for human beings. It's a shame that kids are encouraged to "experiment". That drugs have become an avenue for easy sex. That political and cultural leaders openly admit to drug use. That celebrities who are role models and icons, engage in the most disgusting rampant degenerate behavior of the lowest order.

I think that Libertarians in general have not been vociferous enough in their repudiation of drug use. They always appear to be on the wrong side of this issue. Always defending drug freedoms, and keeping their repudiations as an asterisk.

You are lumping all drugs into the category of laced black market heroin.. It is intellectually dishonest to treat all drugs the same, or say that everybody should absolutely stay away from all drugs. It confuses people who try certain drugs and then don't have a problem. They may move on to other drugs they have a problem with and go into it thinking it is perfectly safe. It's really best to be honest - and honestly you don't have any clue about drugs so you aren't the best person to espouse what everybody else should be doing.

Some drugs do damage, if done in certain amounts. Other drugs have benefits in some form or another and do little or no damage. Some drugs cure. Some drugs are highly addictive. Some drugs are completely non-addictive. Some drugs give people magical experiences that they will never forget and they have the time of their life. Some drugs give people hellish experiences and ruin their lives. Thus it isn't good to lump everything into the same category. There are different risks for different substances, it can be different for different people and people who are interested in imbibing should be aware of that. There are also risks in mountain climbing, and even hiking can be dangerous. There are also benefits to both. That's what life is, gauging risks and living to the fullest.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-04-2015 at 02:03 PM.

In their struggle to terrify the public politicians pull the "Boogity-boogity" card because everyone knows the evils of heroin......

Don't they?

Heroin epidemic seizes bipartisan attention in 2016 race

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...l?intcmp=hpbt2

America's heroin crisis has risen to levels that are demanding attention on the 2016 campaign trail as candidates from both sides of the aisle call for action, particularly in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire where heroin overdoses have soared.

In town hall forums and diners, the candidates repeatedly are confronting the issue, even putting out campaign platforms on addiction. Even as the Paris terror attacks bring national security and foreign policy back to the forefront of the campaign, heroin addiction remains one of the biggest domestic issues in the vital New England primary state.

Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton admits the focus took her by surprise. "I never expected that substance abuse and mental health would be major issues in my campaign until I came to Keene on my very first trip," she said, speaking at the New Hampshire Democratic Party Convention earlier this fall. "And then I started listening."

Heroin addiction has affected New Hampshire in profound ways. On average, one person dies every day from a drug-related overdose in the state. The epidemic is growing at a staggering rate -- heroin-related emergency visits have increased by 76 percent this year.

Nationally, heroin use among young adults has more than doubled in the past decade. The CDC reports that heroin overdose deaths increased by 286 percent from 2002 to 2013. Presidential candidates have heard intimate stories from families who have been torn apart by drug addiction, and they are responding in kind.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush opened up about his own daughter's struggle.

"I've had the personal experience of dealing with the challenges of drug addiction and it wasn't easy," Bush said at a substance abuse roundtable in Manchester, N.H., in October. He echoed voters' concern, saying: "When people are addicted to painkillers and then resort to a lower-cost alternative and then die? I mean, there should be a little more outrage about what's going on."

Voters remain vigilant as they seek to raise candidates' awareness, fighting to take away the stigma associated with drug addiction.

'There should be a little more outrage about what's going on.'

- Jeb Bush
    New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has made advocacy and awareness his pledge. "I'm going to be the kind of president who is going to talk about this. Because I want to remove the stigma," he said at a recent town hall in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Christie's call for compassion and action was featured in a web video published by the Huffington Post that went viral, receiving over 8 million views. The issue hits close to home for the governor. "I've dealt with this personally with people in my life," he said at a substance abuse roundtable in New Hampshire earlier this month. "We have no tolerance for the dealing and the violence and all the rest ... [but] for those of you who become addicted we're going to do the best we can to get you treatment."

The issue is building common ground between parties as candidates search for solutions. Both Republicans and Democrats are calling for changes that would provide more treatment resources to communities. "I am glad that Republicans are acknowledging this issue and hope that we can work together to go forward," Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders told Fox News.

Sanders has been an outspoken advocate on the matter, telling voters at a local high school, "You're not going to be hanging out on street corners doing drugs." The Vermont senator is calling for criminal justice reform, arguing that treating addicts instead of incarcerating them is both ethical and economically sound. "You are not only going to save human lives by the thousands, you also save taxpayers' money," he said.

Candidates suggest they're not stumbling into the issue as a talking point but truly want to understand.

"I am not here as a candidate. I'm here to listen and learn," Bush told a gathering of first responders, law enforcement, and health care providers at a substance abuse roundtable in Manchester, N.H.

Similar roundtable discussions with advocates and activists are a priority on many presidential candidate itineraries. Clinton hosted a town hall entirely focused on substance abuse where she heard heartbreaking testimony from families and loved ones who felt powerless against the epidemic that has infested their community. Christie visited a treatment center where he met with recovering addicts who shared their stories.

The issue allows candidates to move past stump speeches and connect with voters in an intimate way. Christie spoke frankly at the town hall in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. "I'm sure there is no one in this room that has not made a decision in their life that they wouldn't want to take back," he said. "I'm just lucky that decision didn't involve drugs. Because I could very well be an addict."

The epidemic has gone beyond the Granite State. Maine Gov. Paul LePage has been on the frontlines combating the issue in his state, where the crisis has grown so large he has threatened to call the National Guard for assistance if lawmakers there don't step up and approve more agents.

I swear, only in Idiot AmeriKa, could people scream and raise hell over a drug problem, demanding more of the same failed 50 year old policies that have turned the country into a police/prison state, while at the same time going bankrupt funding a military/surveillance complex that protects the drug trade.

SMMFH...

The epidemic has gone beyond the Granite State. Maine Gov. Paul LePage has been on the frontlines combating the issue in his state, where the crisis has grown so large he has threatened to call the National Guard for assistance if lawmakers there don't step up and approve more agents.
    Well, of course.

No matter what the problem is, the answer is always more cops, more laws, more control and less freedom.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just need to make it more illegal, then problem solved
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Just need to make it more illegal, then problem solved
    We do this by voting harder, of course.

And, as always, it is important to keep in mind, who is behind the massive surge in heroin reaching the US market.

U.S. Occupation Leads to All-Time High Afghan Opium Production

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/...tan-opium.html

The U.S. military has allowed poppy cultivation to continue in order to appease farmers and government officials involved with the drug trade who might otherwise turn against the Afghan Karzai government in Kabul. Fueling both sides, in fact, the opium and heroin industry is both a product of the war and an essential source for continued conflict.

U.S. Troops Patrolling Poppy Fields In Afghanistan (Photos)

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/10/14066.html

Preface: As many have noted, the U.S. government has – at least at some times in some parts of the world – protected drug operations. (Big American banks also launder money for drug cartels. See this, this, this and this. Indeed, drug dealers kept the banking system afloat during the depths of the 2008 financial crisis. But that’s beyond the scope of this post.)

The U.S. military has openly said that it is protecting Afghani poppy fields.

Also, keep in mind, this is what Pat Tillman was going to come back home and speak out against.

Which is why he was killed by our own troops and the facts of his death attempted to be covered up.

Funny thing is after X number of dollars spent and too many lives wasted in this "war" they've declared, the percentage of the population that consumes narcotics is close to what it was before government got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Funny thing is after X number of dollars spent and too many lives wasted in this "war" they've declared, the percentage of the population that consumes narcotics is close to what it was before government got involved.
    Perhaps if we legalize it people will stop using it. Like alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by vita3 View Post
    You're an idiot & a gr8 example as why many solid folks see the "Ron Paul movement" as loons.
    I think the federal war on drugs is a total failure. You can at least let sick people have marijuana because it's helpful, but compassionate conservatives say, well, we can't do this--the federal government's going in there and overriding state laws and putting people like that in prison. Why don't we handle the drugs like we handle alcohol? Alcohol is a deadly drug. The real deadly drugs are the prescription drugs. They kill a lot more people than the illegal drugs. The drug war is out of control. I fear the drug war because it undermines our civil liberties. It magnifies our problems on the borders. We spent, over the last 40 years, $1 trillion on this war. And believe me, the kids can still get the drugs. It just hasn't worked.

Ron Paul
    The Dr. understands.

I had a niece killed by a hospital overdose of methadone,, and have another friend trying to kick methadone.
    They nearly killed my step daughter last year,,

the war on drugs is as much a failure as socialized medicine, and just as deadly.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Perhaps if we legalize it people will stop using it. Like alcohol.
    "Legalizing" it like alcohol would only move government regulation from one agency to another, it's pretty unlikely Joe Junkie would notice any difference, neither would Harriot Homeowner or Tom Taxpayer...

Now making plants, herbs and their derivatives exempt from all regulations and taxes would serve everybody well, except government functionaries....

[edit]

Oh gosh!

Were you insinuating that governments job is to make people "stop using" things?
    Last edited by tod evans; 11-27-2015 at 02:25 PM.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Officials declare health emergency in Connecticut city after string of overdoses

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/0...l?intcmp=hpbt4

Officials in a Connecticut city said Thursday they are experiencing a major public health crisis after more than 20 overdoes were reported, including two fatal cases.

New Haven health officials told WTNH-TV that they activated the emergency notification system to warn residents about the tainted life-threatening heroin on the streets. According to the New Haven Independent the batches of heroin were laced with fentanyl.

Officials said by Thursday night there were about 22 overdoses and two deaths reported. Police said those numbers could rise.

“I don’t ever recall a day like this ever. I don’t think we’ve had this amount in a very, very long,” assistant Fire Chief Matt Marcarelli told the paper. “We have barely enough Narcan to get throughout the night. We’re hoping it calms down. We used up almost the whole supply of Narcan in the city.”

Naloxone, also known as Narcan, is administered to someone who is overdosing on heroin to reverse its effects. The fire department was working with the Yale-New Haven Hospital and AMR ambulance in Hartford to obtain more.

Paramedics started to respond to emergency calls at around 3:30 p.m. By then, at least six people had overdoes and were unconscious within three to four blocks of each other, the Independent reported.

Firefighters found two more men passed out in a car near a baseball field about three hours later. Marcarelli said the men showed “obvious” signs of an overdose.

By 9:30 p.m., at least 15 people had overdosed on heroin and the numbers continued to rise.

New Haven police Lt. Tony Reyes said law enforcement personnel plan to meet with the fire department Friday to assess the overdose deaths and plot a course forward with how to combat it. He also said police are working alongside the DEA to handle the overdose cases.

And just how in the Sam Hell are tax-ticks going to 'handle' overdose cases?
    These idiots have one weapon in their arsenal, the courts........

I wonder,,, if like the Poisoned Alcohol distributed By the Government,,

are they are lacing Heroin deliberately for the same reasons ?

I would not be at all surprised.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I wonder,,, if like the Poisoned Alcohol distributed By the Government,,

are they are lacing Heroin deliberately for the same reasons ?

I would not be at all surprised.
    I'm thinking it's less trouble to make Fentanyl than to grow and process poppies....

Just a reminder,,
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...mists_war.html
    Frustrated that people continued to consume so much alcohol even after it was banned, federal officials had decided to try a different kind of enforcement. They ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols manufactured in the United States, products regularly stolen by bootleggers and resold as drinkable spirits. The idea was to scare people into giving up illicit drinking. Instead, by the time Prohibition ended in 1933, the federal poisoning program, by some estimates, had killed at least 10,000 people.
    Lather rinse repeat
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Just a reminder,,
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health...mists_war.html

Lather rinse repeat
    It'd seem kind of silly to give junkies a product that was too potent in order to kill 'em off........

But whadda I know?

I've also got to wonder how many of these OD's are only consuming street dope because government curtailed their supply of 'approved' pills..........

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    It'd seem kind of silly to give junkies a product that was too potent in order to kill 'em off........

But whadda I know?

I've also got to wonder how many of these OD's are only consuming street dope because government curtailed their supply of 'approved' pills..........
    Unless headlines were wanted,, and stir the muck for more bucks,,

I can't help think the free market would be better for all,,, (except for those that enjoy excessive profit)

Better for the consumer,, for society,
    Safer cleaner and much less violent.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Unless headlines were wanted,, and stir the muck for more bucks,,

I can't help think the free market would be better for all,,, (except for those that enjoy excessive profit)

Better for the consumer,, for society,
    Safer cleaner and much less violent.
    I'm in 100% agreement......

I can't give any rep to people in this thread, stop being so right on.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's a politician pushing more folks to use heroin..........

Pay attention to how this author slips between opioids, heroin, legal and illegal......In his mind it's all the same...

I'll wish oh........how about crones disease and shingles along with a HNP (slipped disc) all at once with no opiates available upon him...

Kasich Cracks Down On Opioid Prescriptions With Strict Limit

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/31/ka...-strict-limit/

Ohio Republican Gov. John Kasich unveiled new rules for doctors Thursday that place strict limits on how long a patient can be prescribed opiate-based painkillers.

The order from the governor’s office, approved by the Ohio Board of Pharmacy, bars primary care physicians and dentists from prescribing opioids for more than seven days for adults and five days for children. Kasich is also enacting a plan for greater oversight of patients using opioids, requiring doctors to give a specific diagnosis before giving out the medication. The rules will not apply to patients with cancer or living in a hospice setting, reports NBC News.

Kasich is warning doctors throughout the state they will lose their medical license if they fail to comply with the new regulations. Ohio is suffering a high rate of heroin addiction linked to previous opioid abuse.

“You’re going to have to abide by these rules,” Kasich said Thursday, according to NBC News. “Health care providers can prescribe opiates in excess of the new limits only if they provide a specific reason in the patient’s medical record. By reducing the availability of unused prescription opiates, fewer Ohioans will be presented with opportunities to misuse these highly addictive medications.”

Ohio is being hit particularly hard by the national opioid epidemic, which claimed a record 33,000 lives in the U.S. in 2015. The opioid death rate in the state spiked 13 percent between 2014 and 2015, among the largest increases in the country. Heroin deaths increased by nearly 20 percent over the same period, claiming 1,444 lives.

The epidemic is posing risks to kids who are exposed to the drugs and other dangers by their parents. Officials in Ohio say opioids are the main driver of a 19 percent spike in the number of kids removed from parental custody to foster care since 2010.

Fatal overdoses from heroin quadrupled over the last five years nationally, according to data released by the National Center for Health Statistics Feb. 24. They say the massive increase in heroin and general opioid abuse in the U.S. since 2010 is driven by lower drug prices and ingredients with higher potency, like fentanyl.

Authors of the study noted in 2010 only 8 percent of all fatal drug overdoses stemmed from heroin. In 2015, roughly 25 percent of fatal drug overdoses were caused by heroin.

Chris Christie-led opioid crisis panel urges Trump to declare ‘emergency’

The White House’s commission on combating the opioid epidemic in America has revealed in an interim draft letter to President Donald Trump that a federal state of emergency should be issued to deal with the crisis.

The White House’s commission on combating the opioid epidemic in America has called on President Donald Trump to declare a federal state of emergency to deal with the crisis.

In a letter to the president, the commission details recommendations that would bring millions of dollars in funding to help implement a national response to the US opioid crisis.

Arizona, Florida and Maryland have already declared a state of emergency in response to the national epidemic.

On Monday, the commission’s long awaited draft letter to Trump further outlines numerous ways to fight the opioid epidemic which has spread through almost every state in the US. The commission consists of five members which were chosen by the president in March after he signed an executive order to establish the group.

Their report is being prepared independently of the US Government’s Office of National Drug Control Policy, although the agency did submit a list of policy recommendations to the commission.

Leading the commission is Governor Chris Christie (R-New Jersey). He is joined by Governor Charlie Baker (R-Massachusetts), Governor Roy Cooper (D-North Carolina), former Congressman, Patrick Kennedy and Harvard University psychobiology professor, Dr. Bertha Madras. The delegation initially missed their first two deadlines for the report, which was supposed to be delivered June 27.

The goals of the commission are to study mechanisms to combat and treat the US opioid epidemic, which killed a record 33,000 people nationwide in 2015, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The members wrote to the president with urgent instructions to deal with the situation.

“The first and most urgent recommendation of this Commission is direct and completely within your control. Declare a national emergency under either the Public Health Service Act or the Stafford Act,” the committee wrote to Trump.

Their draft letter described what a declaration of this kind would mean for cabinet members and lawmakers alike. "Your declaration would empower your cabinet to take bold steps and would force Congress to focus on funding and empowering the Executive Branch even further to deal with this loss of life," the draft document stated.

They also suggest mandating prescriber education initiatives; providing model legislation for states to allow dispensing of naloxone, which is an opioid overdose reversal medication; and moreover, establishing and funding a federal incentive to enhance access to treatment.

Before the report was released, some legislators criticized the Office of National Drug Control Policy and the commission’s handling of the crisis thus far.

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-South Carolina), who serves as the chair of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, said the “ONDCP has failed to produce a formal national drug control strategy and a national drug control budget, which is supposed to be released no later than Feb. 1 each year,” during a hearing last week while discussing the government’s response to the situation.

Senator Joe Donnelly (D-Indiana) also expressed frustration with the commission’s response.

“We don’t really have time to wait on a commission from the White House that hopefully will produce something at some point,” he said, according to Stat News.

Congress approved nearly $1 billion last year to fund a response to the epidemic as part of the 21st Century Cures Act of 2016. A similar amount is expected to be approved next year.
    https://www.rt.com/usa/398137-trump-commission-letter/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

It's all the rage to be anti-pain med too....

AG Sessions to address US opioid crisis in Ohio speech

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/02...io-speech.html

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions is set to give a speech in Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday on the impact of the nation’s growing opioid epidemic.

Sessions is scheduled to address law enforcement officials and families affected by the crisis in a state that sees about eight deaths per day from accidental overdoses.

More than 52,000 Americans died in 2015 from drug overdoses -- including 3,050 in Ohio.

In May, Sessions instructed federal prosecutors to pursue the most serious charges possible against most drug suspects, as a possible deterrent.

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions looks on during a news conference announcing the takedown of the dark web marketplace AlphaBay, at the Justice Department in Washington, U.S., July 20, 2017. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein - RTX3C8RUExpand / Collapse
    U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, seen in Washington, July 20, 2017, has instructed prosecutors to pursue the most serious charges in drug-related cases. (Reuters)
    Wednesday’s scheduled speech comes just as President Trump received a report Monday from the administration’s drug commission, urging him to declare a national emergency to deal with the crisis, the BBC reported.

Doing so would allow the federal government to modify Medicaid and Medicare rules to make it easier for patients to seek treatment, FiveThirtyEight.com reported.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, appointed by Trump to head the team, has dedicated his final year in office to fighting the issue.

The recommendations made in Monday’s report coincide with a recent survey from the National Institute on Drug and Abuse
    estimating that 92 million Americans used opioid drugs in 2015. That is roughly 1-in-3 Americans.

Researchers estimate that approximately 38 percent of adults in the U.S. were prescribed opioids in 2015.

Meanwhile, more than two-dozen state, city and county governments are suing the makers of prescription painkillers, claiming the industry misled physicians and the public about the
    risks of addition.

A coalition of states is also considering a Big Tobacco-style lawsuit to help pay for the opioid epidemic, Fox News has reported.

“We’re very much at war here,” New Jersey state Attorney General Christopher Porrino said recently. His state saw 1,600 opioid-related deaths in 2015, Fox News reported.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234