Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 81yo woman arrested and held without bail for feeding bears

81yo woman arrested and held without bail for feeding bears

....in her own yard.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2s0a0QK8I

Wildlife officials say 81-year-old Mary Mussleman was caught feeding black bears two weeks ago. She was warned not to set any food outside for a whole year.

When they checked out her house again, they found bowls and trays with the corn and birdseed outside.

That was a violation of her probation, authorities said.

Deputies also say Mussleman resisted arrest.

Read more: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...#ixzz2s1UO6tk0
    Follow us: @myfoxtampabay on Twitter | FOX13TampaBay on Facebook
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Deputies also say Mussleman resisted arrest.
    Pussies.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Pussies.
    It's the new "add on" charge for everyone that gets arrested over stupid $#@!.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    It's the new "add on" charge for everyone that gets arrested over stupid $#@!.
    It's "crying wolf" to me. It is at the point were I automatically know it is bull$#@!.

Huh?

What's that you're saying over there?

I can't hear you over all this freedom ringing in my ears.

She was feeding birds and squirells - not bears. What dicks!

...Musselman was arrested on the violation of probation charge after an FWCC officer saw outside Musselman's house "numerous bowls and trays with birdseed and corn, four hanging birdfeeders with birdseed in them, a wooden plank and a whole corn with and birdseed and whole corn on the ground."

As part of her probation, Musselman had been ordered not to put out food for animals for a year, the affidavit said....

http://highlandstoday.com/hi/local-n...cers-20140131/

God Bless her.

I can only hope to be resisting arrest at 81.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    God Bless her.

This^^^^^^
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    God Bless her.

Touche'!

God Bless her.

+rep.

um, feeding bears is bad, mkay?

Ah, the joys of living in a compliance state.

81 years? Lol, yeah, come and get me. I dare ya.

Something tells me Andy Taylor or Bill Gillespie would have handled this differently.

I wonder if they have any pictures of bears at the dishes.

As a juror I might expect such evidence. Then again I don't know if she is rich or poor and might qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I wonder if they have any pictures of bears at the dishes.

As a juror I might expect such evidence. Then again I don't know if she is rich or poor and might qualify.
    Evidence?

How about I thump yer head for ya, there's your $#@!ing evidence.

Now, shut the $#@! up, and go render a guilty verdict. - Bailiff Friendly

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Being in Nuisance wildlife, I wonder how much damage her neighbors were suffering from wildlife getting in their basements, attics, and tearing up their property.

They probably asked multiple times for her to stop feeding the animals, or to at least pay for some of the damage, which she probably refused. Then, the neighbors reported her to police.

I have seen this exact situation happen at least twenty times in my line of work. When my clients' homes are repeatedly being assaulted by starlings, rats, raccoons, squirrels, opossums, skunks, feral cats, and even bears, causing thousands of dollars of damage to the houses, and the person in the neighborhood who is feeding the animals and artificially expanding their population beyond naturally sustainable levels refuses to take any responsibility for the damage those animals are causing, as much as I hate advising it, sometimes getting the law involved is necessary.

These are always elderly women, usually widowed, and can be often accurately depicted by the "crazy cat lady" figure in the Simpson's cartoon.
    Last edited by Icymudpuppy; 01-31-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    Being in Nuisance wildlife, I wonder how much damage her neighbors were suffering from wildlife getting in their basements, attics, and tearing up their property.

They probably asked multiple times for her to stop feeding the animals, or to at least pay for some of the damage, which she probably refused. Then, the neighbors reported her to police.

I have seen this exact situation happen at least twenty times in my line of work. When my clients' homes are repeatedly being assaulted by starlings, rats, raccoons, squirrels, opossums, skunks, feral cats, and even bears, causing thousands of dollars of damage to the houses, and the person in the neighborhood who is feeding the animals and artificially expanding their population beyond naturally sustainable levels refuses to take any responsibility for the damage those animals are causing, as much as I hate advising it, sometimes getting the law involved is necessary.
    Jail without bail for an 81 year old woman is neccesary?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Jail without bail for an 81 year old woman is neccesary?
    Crazy cat lady belongs in an asylum for the mentally unstable, and criminally insane. Animal Hoarding is a mental disease that causes real criminal damage to property.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

I had an idiot near me release a bunch of caged rabbits into the wild.

Now there are bunnies everywhere, that make my dog go nuts, eat the $#@! out of my garden and make my little girl cry every time I shoot one of the damned things.

Never, in a million years, would I even think about getting cops involved.

Now there are bunnies everywhere, that make my dog go nuts, eat the $#@! out of my garden and make my little girl cry every time I shoot one of the damned things.

No $#@! eh?

A 300 win-mag to a black bear is like a .22 to a rabbit....

But would you try to get that person to pay for damages if you knew who it was? Would you ask them to help pay for the cost of trapping the excessive rabbits? What if you knew who it was, and that they had not just done it once, but multiple times? What if they refused to stop doing it?

A year ago she was given a cease and desist order. The 2-3 years before, I bet her neighbors tried a lot of nice polite ways of trying to solve the problem.

Since our dream of private security forces is not a reality, sometimes you are stuck with invoking the monopoly.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

I know exactly who it was and when it happened.

I'm not sure I can think of any good reason to invoke the monopoly.

And when the stress and conditions in prison kill this woman, what then?

Was it worth it over some bear scat in your flower garden?

Did she do it to herself?

But would you try to get that person to pay for damages if you knew who it was? Would you ask them to help pay for the cost of trapping the excessive rabbits? What if you knew who it was, and that they had not just done it once, but multiple times? What if they refused to stop doing it?

A year ago she was given a cease and desist order. The 2-3 years before, I bet her neighbors tried a lot of nice polite ways of trying to solve the problem.

Since our dream of private security forces is not a reality, sometimes you are stuck with invoking the monopoly.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-06-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Was it worth it over some bear scat in your flower garden?
    A typical bear nuisance problem isn't $#@!. It's demolished storage sheds $3000 in damage... Broken windows $500 a piece... Wrecked trash cans $150 and $50 litter pickup... It's Destroyed landscaping such as ponds, retaining walls, and decorative plants which may have cost tens of thousands to install. These are big expenses. I deal with these things every day.

I have seen one raccoon mother do over $12,000 worth of damage to a house. I have seen river otters do over $20,000 of damage. Squirrels, over $15,000. Rats, over $30,000. It's not little $#@!.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Well, I have managed to avoid it so far.
    "The Patriarch"

A typical bear nuisance problem isn't $#@!. It's demolished storage sheds $3000 in damage... Broken windows $500 a piece... Wrecked trash cans $150 and $50 litter pickup... It's Destroyed landscaping such as ponds, retaining walls, and decorative plants which may have cost tens of thousands to install. These are big expenses. I deal with these things every day.

I have seen one raccoon mother do over $12,000 worth of damage to a house. I have seen river otters do over $20,000 of damage. Squirrels, over $15,000. Rats, over $30,000. It's not little $#@!.
    We had raccoon's, drove us nuts. I sealed up every possible entry point and they went away. I never had to deal with a river otter, but I think that is straying a little. Unless you know someone who fed them. Pretty much the same with the rest. They are always there.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    We had raccoon's, drove us nuts. I sealed up every possible entry point and they went away. I never had to deal with a river otter, but I think that is straying a little. Unless you know someone who fed them. Pretty much the same with the rest. They are always there.
    Yes, they are always around, but in normal situations, I will solve one problem per neighborhood every other year which as you mentioned is easily solved by simply buttoning up the house. When I have multiple call outs to the same neighborhood every year and the animals are extra aggressive about breaking in to find shelter, (squirrels can chew straight though a supporting wall 2x6 and cause an entire structure to sag), it's always because some idiot is feeding the wildlife.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

Yes, they are always around, but in normal situations, I will solve one problem per neighborhood every other year which as you mentioned is easily solved by simply buttoning up the house. When I have multiple call outs to the same neighborhood every year and the animals are extra aggressive about breaking in to find shelter, (squirrels can chew straight though a supporting wall 2x6 and cause an entire structure to sag), it's always because some idiot is feeding the wildlife.
    Well you do this for a living so you undoubtedly have seen more than me. As a side note, we have two huge nut trees on our block. One right next door and one three houses down, squirrels love them but we don't seem to have any problems other than them teasing the cat. You folks on the east side of the State get a lot colder weather though.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Well you do this for a living so you undoubtedly have seen more than me. As a side note, we have two huge nut trees on our block. One right next door and one three houses down, squirrels love them but we don't seem to have any problems other than them teasing the cat. You folks on the east side of the State get a lot colder weather though.
    I'm on the west side.
    CPT Jack. R. T.

I'm on the west side.
    Sorry, I thought you were on the east side. My mistake, what area are you in?
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast