Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 81yo woman arrested and held without bail for feeding bears

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    Most insurance will not cover pests of any kind. Allstate, Pemco, Safeco, and Heritage usually will. Farmers does on their deluxe policies. The rest do not. When damages exceed $2000 plaintiffs can seek both civil and criminal charges.
    I was wondering about that , I have no idea about mine , but kind of doubt it , I am sure nothing about any of mine is " deluxe" .

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trust me, the neighbors don't call the police on you for just feeding the birds.
    Trust me,, $#@! neighbors will call Police/Code enforcement over nothing.

Had a SWAT team arrest some neighbors for having a water gun fight in their yard.. because of an $#@! neighbor.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Most insurance will not cover pests of any kind. Allstate, Pemco, Safeco, and Heritage usually will. Farmers does on their deluxe policies. The rest do not. When damages exceed $2000 plaintiffs can seek both civil and criminal charges.
    Good to know. Even here in a long established town, with a very high population density, we have a ton of wildlife. I have to suspect that pest damage would be one of the most common types of claims on property insurance. (I have no real knowledge of this - just a guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Good to know. Even here in a long established town, with a very high population density, we have a ton of wildlife. I have to suspect that pest damage would be one of the most common types of claims on property insurance. (I have no real knowledge of this - just a guess)
    Attempts to file claims for water damage are right up there. Most policies are very sneaky about which water damage they cover, so a large number are denied.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Attempts to file claims for water damage are right up there. Most policies are very sneaky about which water damage they cover, so a large number are denied.
    Yeah , I do not even think you could get money for water damage without flood ins ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Yeah , I do not even think you could get money for water damage without flood ins ?
    It depends on what it is. The claims I'm talking about aren't for floods, but usually for things like burst pipes or malfunctioning pumps in basements.

Look up how many people die or are seriously injured during encounters with deer versus bears. Many of those encounters involve vehicles, but some do not, and deer can and will leap through glass, get really angry at your car, fight your pets, and come at you with their antlers... which are no joke.

I live in a very rural area. I see roughly 200 times the number of deer a year for every bear I encounter. Not once when I encountered 20 deer feeding on the acorns on my lawn did I think to need to call the kids and the 3 dogs in for fear a deer would get really angry and fight or attack or try to carry one off for lunch.

I'm not disagreeing with the problems created by the sheer POPULATION excess of deer.....and how that leads to more encounters that can damage vehicles and such.
    This story is about a woman baiting and animal that has a disposition to occasionally like a good meat meal. I thinks some are being intellectually dishonest about the nature of a deer over a bear

Only on RPF can we get a discussion where people argue that a Deer is more threatening than a bear.

The only reason we are discussing it is because someone latched onto the word I used to create a "Red herring" argument to prove that a woman baiting bears isn't a problem for other property owners.

I'll stop talking about the damn deer now if you all can refute the central point and prove that baiting bears is beneficial for other property owners safety and in their best interest.
    Last edited by Todd; 02-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I live in a very rural area. I see roughly 200 times the number of deer a year for every bear I encounter. Not once when I encountered 20 deer feeding on the acorns on my lawn did I think to need to call the kids and the 3 dogs in for fear a deer would get really angry and fight or attack or try to carry one off for lunch.

I'm not disagreeing with the problems created by the sheer POPULATION excess of deer.....and how that leads to more encounters that can damage vehicles and such.
    This story is about a woman baiting and animal that has a disposition to occasionally like a good meat meal. I thinks some are being intellectually dishonest about the nature of a deer over a bear

Only on RPF can we get a discussion where people argue that a Deer is more threatening than a bear.

The only reason we are discussing it is because someone latched onto the word I used to create a "Red herring" argument to prove that a woman baiting bears isn't a problem for other property owners.

I'll stop talking about the damn deer now if you all can refute the central point and prove that baiting bears is beneficial for other property owners safety and in their best interest.
    Again, look at the number of attacks by black bears. There are several ready lists. People freak out because they are big and have claws, but there's little foundation for it. Looks like most lists I find mention all of four fatal attacks since 2010. Four.

The hunter became the hunted when a Clinton, La., man was attacked by a massive deer he had wounded on his property.

According to Bayou Bucks magazine, Bobby Neames was airlifted to a Baton Rouge hospital and nearly bled to death after the buck gored him through his left thigh on Christmas Eve.
    ^ Those are way more common.

If you ask most folks what's the most dangerous wild animal in North America, you’d probably get an array of answers ranging from grizzly bears to rattlesnakes.

Chances are the whitetail deer wouldn’t rank high on the guess list.

Yet that’s where deer rate – the No. 1 cause of injuries and deaths to humans every year.
    So you can cut the "only on RPFs" part of things. It's stupid.

That's neither here nor there, though, and I did not argue she was doing some kind of service to her neighbors. My question, though, is whether people have stopped to consider that removing her and not addressing the animals themselves creates a much greater danger.
    Last edited by MelissaWV; 02-01-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Depends on the property owner, I'd imagine.

Oyarde, how would you feel about your neighbors baiting animals for you? LOL..

I'm sure the lady isn't specifically trying to bait bears. One most likely just traveled up or down a stream and stumbled upon her bird feeder. If the animal was an issue, you cannot tell me that there is not someone who would take care of that issue. The police would come, or animal wildlife to tranquilize and if negligible, bill her for the services. Or someone hungry would shoot it for food etc.

To lock a possibly senile elderly person up, for feeding animals, without bail, is far into "excessive." Who knows if she just doesn't have anybody else and likes the squirrels and birds? When she dies from the stress of being caged, or from staph, or any other thing, as a society it should be asked, was it worth it? I'd argue no.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post

I'm sure the lady isn't specifically trying to bait bears. One most likely just traveled up or down a stream and stumbled upon her bird feeder. If the animal was an issue, you cannot tell me that there is not someone who would take care of that issue. The police would come, or animal wildlife to tranquilize and if negligible, bill her for the services. Or someone hungry would shoot it for food etc.

To lock a possibly senile elderly person up, for feeding animals, without bail, is far into "excessive." Who knows if she just doesn't have anybody else and likes the squirrels and birds? When she dies from the stress of being caged, or from staph, or any other thing, as a society it should be asked, was it worth it? I'd argue no.
    Closest thing to me is a bed and breakfast empty about 80 % of the time , you can see it in the winter. If they want to bait animals for me , I will send them a Christmas card .

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post

I am amazed she is locked up without bail . How do you justify that .....

"That" covers a lot of territory these days.
    "The Patriarch"

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Closest thing to me is a bed and breakfast empty about 80 % of the time , you can see it in the winter. If they want to bait animals for me , I will send them a Christmas card .
    Baiting deer used to consist of taking a 5# tin of government peanut-butter, you know the really greasy $#@! back in the early 70's, and smearing it on a downed tree then pressing sweet-feed into it...

Sit in the truck 30-50 yrds back and sip beer and listen to the radio as the sun came up...The deer didn't care, it's like the more racket we made the more at ease they got...Wait 'till everyone had a bead and drop the hammer.

Now-a-days they'll send in the goon squad..

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    "That" covers a lot of territory these days.
    Yes it does

God bless that there is some sanity left in this country.

Instead of putting down a perhaps nuisance animal and feeding the hungry, they'd sooner imprison an elderly woman. They'll probably shoot this bear later, the next time it comes back. And poor bleach on the meat. That what I just said is even possible, if not probable, is a sign of the times. I can't wait to have a few dozen acres, at least.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Resisting arrest.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Resisting arrest.
    She did this to herself.

Look up how many people die or are seriously injured during encounters with deer versus bears. Many of those encounters involve vehicles, but some do not, and deer can and will leap through glass, get really angry at your car, fight your pets, and come at you with their antlers... which are no joke.

Bears can be a hell of a nuisance, yeah, but so can a lot of other animals. It's what happens when people build near "wildlife preserves" and other green areas, mostly. I live in one of those areas but the wildlife doesn't bother me. We have wood piggies digging up our yard on a regular basis (they are probably rooting for acorns, which fall from nearby trees), and they are not gentle about it. We have snakes, which is good because they keep down the plague-level frog population around the house. We have raccoons, armadillos, possums (gross), gators in the nearby creeks and lakes, hawks, vultures, bats, fire ants, skeeters, deer, foxes, squirrels, rats, big ole honkin' spiders, bunnies, turkeys, and other things I can't recall off the top of my head. Idiots are going to feed some of those at any given time, particularly the gators. They become less afraid of people and associate them with food. Not a good combination if you have kids.

I don't think jail's a good answer to this, do you? The animals are still going to come around for a time, not to mention they're now more likely to get hungry and desperate since she is no longer feeding them.
    Sounds like a good reason for "high capacity" magazines to me.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV
    Possums...gross
    I like possums. There's one that's hung around my house and I see him/her late at night sometimes. I don't mind throwing him some salad scraps to enjoy in the dark on occasion.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

It's worth noting that Hillsborough Sheriff online shows no matches to her name as a jail inmate that I can find.

eta: wrong county, she's in Highlands County.
    Last edited by devil21; 02-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    double post
    Last edited by devil21; 02-02-2014 at 03:48 PM.

What??? and they didn't shoot the bears in the name of officer safety?

The quality of some of these PD's is really dropping...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    It's worth noting that Hillsborough Sheriff online shows no matches to her name as a jail inmate that I can find.
    Surely they haven't already killed the old bird?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Don't count on it.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    SCRATCH THAT - WAS SEARCHING WRONG COUNTY
    Dunno what to make of it. Their website is kinda clunky and not intuitive. Searches for current inmates and past arrests don't return anything in her name that I can find. I could be looking in the wrong county or something though.

------------------------------

update: She's listed in Highlands County sheriff online arrests. Pending charges: Probation violation, resisting arrest, assault on LEO. Looks like she's still in jail.
    Last edited by devil21; 02-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.

SCRATCH THAT - WAS SEARCHING WRONG COUNTY
    Dunno what to make of it. Their website is kinda clunky and not intuitive. Searches for current inmates and past arrests don't return anything in her name that I can find. I could be looking in the wrong county or something though.

------------------------------

update: She's listed in Highlands County sheriff online arrests. Pending charges: Probation violation, resisting arrest, assault on LEO
    There is no limit to how far these law enforcement chickenshits will debase themselves. Assault by a 81 year old woman?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    There is no limit to how far these law enforcement chickenshits will debase themselves. Assault by a 81 year old woman?
    She's listed at 5'0 and 91 pounds.

Cowards, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror.
    "The Patriarch"

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    12 fine officers replete with fully automatic weapons and a bearcat or two to apprehend this wild scofflaw no doubt...

Update on this story....still in jail, pending court ordered mental evaluation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...m_hp_ref=crime

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast