Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is the one thing you would do to your house if you had the cash?

Think about putting in a downstairs bath.

The plumbing is already in the laundry room...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Specs,

You were replying while I was, do you might have missed the post immediately before yours.

I know you were talking about getting rid of stuff, but as far as kitchen items go, this thing is heaven! We got ours through Emergency Essentials and liked it so much we got another one as a spare or if we were cooking for a lot of people so we could use 2 at once. I know the vid is an infomercial. This device wasn't invented for the prepper market... It seriously does cut down on cooking prep time and all the attachments fit inside so it's got a small footprint. Amazon sells them for $20, you can find them for less on E-Bay and Emergency Essentials seems to be out of stock of them, but normally sells them for $17 and regularly puts them on sale for $12. It might let you get rid of some of your other kitchen junk.

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Plus-2.../dp/B005HX9ZC4

If you want an indoor climbing wall, you will need to take out a floor, or at least a section of floor. Be sure to put one of these under it, ans as it's to catch falls, I'd go for at least 2" thick.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonded-Foam-Gy...gymnastic+mats

and as you seem of that bent, check out:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cowstails-Cobr...ils+and+cobras

-t

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post

I am totally going to build that out, maybe even this weekend. Working simple is hard, genius.
    I'm jealous, I'd love to see pics when you're done.

We're both lifelong lapswimmers. I fell in love with her the first time I saw her, she had just finished a fast 1mile swim, immediately freedove down 30ft, swam completely through a submerged bus and burst through the surface in dramatic mermaidish fashion. It was over for me at that point, she just didn't know it yet. Plus, then we can get rid of the gym membership since all it is used for is lap swimming.
    Awww, that's sweet. I'm a swimmer too, the endless pool sounds like a great idea.

What would I do? Nothing that would possibly raise my taxes.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

id add solar power. gtf off the grid! id save $120-$180 a month.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 10:01 PM.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    id add solar power. gtf off the grid! id save $120-$180 a month.
    I blew $215 this month on gas & electric and I heated with wood on all the days sub 20 degrees . That's a helluva alota beer .

so I had a talk with the MIL yesterday; she agreed with my position so I enlisted her help --it really is nice having great inlaws. We saw our favorite 6 houses today and none of them really were better enough to warrant the PITA of moving and selling this house. Then had dinner with the MIL and she brought up the idea of doing the remodeling instead and talked about how great the location we are in is for kids, etc. In short, we changed the wifeys mind and she didn't really care about doing the bathroom remodel or the kitchen. But she is really onboard with finishing the garage, removing the garage door/replacing with a wall, knocking down the wall between the garage and utility room and putting in the endless swimming pool.

Although, we did see this one place with 7 acres, a farm exemption (low taxes) and current organic egg business that almost had me sold... But it didn't have access to fast internet and that just wouldnt' work for me at this point...
    If you were closer , I could loan you a dozen of my organic eggs ....

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 10:07 PM.

So the people here with more knowledge.
    One of the pools we are considering requires a 220v, 85 amp GFCI outlet.
    That sounds like a lot of amps. Is there a possibility that our wiring/fuse box would make it very expensive/impossible to add? I'd obviously have a pro do it, but Is there a way to tell if its even possible just by looking at my fusebox? We currently have an extra unused 220v but it is probably around 30amp not 85.
    Most homes don't have the ability to exceed 200 amps total...

Adding a continuous 85amp draw will probably require a new transformer (utilities cost) a new meter head (their cost too) then depending on how your service comes on to the property possibly new 0000 ought cable and another panel (your cost)

Worse case scenario the materials to get power to your new toy will be under 1k....

Labor and permits, who knows....

Some places provide 400amp residential service as the norm now? But that's at the pole.

./

Thanks Tod. All of their competitors only require 220v/30amp which we should be able to handle. i'll just cross that one off the list.
    85 amp on single phase is LOTS!

A true 5hp motor running on 220 single phase only pulls 23 amp

./

^^^^^^^^^^^Everybody please rep the hell outta this!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^Everybody please rep the hell outta this!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Agreed and done, that was great specs

Getting to the question in the topic, the next project is the smaller bathroom (mine). The people who owned the house previously put in one of those bath fitter type things, which is great for kids (so easy to clean, all rounded edges, easy to put up little hooks and caddies for toys and washcloths), but not so much for adults. It could benefit greatly from a window and having just a large shower instead of a shower/tub combination. The vanity is too big for the space, too, so while I was fixing the other stuff I would address this. I would want a step-in type shower which would fit smartly into the space.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:25 PM.

So after having to upgrade our fuse box (was only at 100amp!), tear out a wall, put up showerboard everywhere, water proof paint stuff, putting in some exhausts and cleaning out a whole garage of junk... they finally managed push this beast into the garagepoolroom.

Thanks for the ideas all, it got us all talking and figured out what was optimal for us.
    Awesome job! Enjoy your pool!

I'm quite late to the game here, but what I love about my house:

1. Paid for.
    2. 2 car garage with a lot of storage shelves.
    3. 2 bathrooms.
    4. Lots of land.
    5. Most windows replaced.

What I want:

1. Fireplace. I can't stand not having one. Ideally I'd have two, one in the basement, and one on the main level. Perhaps even one in the garage and barn.
    2. Better landscaping--been planning that out.
    3. Front porch rather than the ugly old deck. Decks are for the back yard.

Good luck--sounds like you picked a good electrician, be careful who you let into your house and always check the work they do, I'm sure you know that already.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I'm quite late to the game here, but what I love about my house:

1. Paid for.
    2. 2 car garage with a lot of storage shelves.
    3. 2 bathrooms.
    4. Lots of land.
    5. Most windows replaced.

What I want:

1. Fireplace. I can't stand not having one. Ideally I'd have two, one in the basement, and one on the main level. Perhaps even one in the garage and barn.
    2. Better landscaping--been planning that out.
    3. Front porch rather than the ugly old deck. Decks are for the back yard.

Good luck--sounds like you picked a good electrician, be careful who you let into your house and always check the work they do, I'm sure you know that already.
    No improvements to the dungeon?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

i'd sell mine and move closer to the equator.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    No improvements to the dungeon?
    I might make a "laundry chute" to deliver the food and put in a wash tub next to the washer/dryer to hose down the place. Other than that, naw.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I
    might make a "laundry chute" to deliver the food and put in a wash tub next to the washer/dryer to hose down the place. Other than that, naw.
    When I was really young, my parents had a dumbwaiter running between the garage and the hall outside the kitchen. I was stupid enough to say 'that looks like a perfect "me" sized elevator. it was boarded up that afternoon and turned into a closet shortly afterwords.

Now we have a laundry chute that one of the cats uses as an elevator to get into the basement...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    When I was really young, my parents had a dumbwaiter running between the garage and the hall outside the kitchen. I was stupid enough to say 'that looks like a perfect "me" sized elevator. it was boarded up that afternoon and turned into a closet shortly afterwords.

Now we have a laundry chute that one of the cats uses as an elevator to get into the basement...

-t
    My aunt had a laundry chute from the 2nd story of her house all the way to her basement...I loved that thing. Great for hide and seek....

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 09:41 PM.

I'm jealous. I just closed our pool down for the summer.

I'm glad you're having fun.
    So we've had this bad boy for about 6 months now and can't imagine having made a better choice. Its low maintenance and we use it pretty much everyday. The surprising part is that it really hasn't impacted the power bill much at all; I suppose its because its inside and they really insulated the thing well.

We've got into a rhythm where we generally keep it in the mid 80s and swim "laps" or workout in it M-Th. I've worked my way back to about my pace from when I was a decade+ younger and swimming long distance competitions for fun. 1.35m/sec or about 3 miles per hour sustained. I usually do about 40 minutes (about 2miles) a day over "lunch".

Then we turn up the heat to 98 for Fri night and use it for relaxation over the weekend --takes until Monday for the heat to drop down enough to swim laps in again. The wife and I will generally setup a laptop on a shelf I installed on the wall opposite, pour some drinks and watch a movie. Sure beats sitting on the couch.

The kids turning into a decent swimmer too . He's go absolutely no fear of the water -- runs in the family -- which is a good and bad thing; but we keep that door locked with a key and have drilled it into his head that he NEVER gets in without one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Vaulted ceilings look great and make the space bigger but will also add to heating and cooling costs. Turn on that heater and the upper half of the room is toasty and the lower half is still cold. At least need some fans to move air around in it. (I have a vaulted ceiling).

I have a couple small windows in the upper portion but would like to add a skylight but being in a condo association, I can't change anything outside.
    Ceiling fans help with that, assuming you have an attic.

Edit: actually you don't even need an attic. we don't have an attic in that part of the house, and Mark put a light fixture in one vaulted room and a ceiling fan in the other. No cords showing either.
    Last edited by Deborah K; 10-08-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

I would buy it - since i'm renting.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I would jack up the TV antenna and build a new house under it.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast