Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Home Schooling a good idea?

Is Home Schooling a good idea?

Life is not lived inside a bubble. Keeping our children isolated from public education may not be in their best interest. Parents can teach their children liberty minded principles and keep them from becoming indoctrinated by the system. Your children could help spread liberty minded ideals to their peers. Ever known an old school type immigrant from Poland or somewhere that raises their child in the US under very strict guidelines? How do they manage to keep their children in line when all other kids are doing??? It is called parenting. Everything taught in school is not bad. A person graduating from an Ivy League college with honors will earn more money in their lifetime than most.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Children who are homeschooled are not raised in a bubble. They are usually more exposed to real life than children who are isolated in age specific groups as government schools separate children. They see the reality of how a home and family work together. The government schools lack biblical moral training and undermines the parents being the mentor and trustworthy guide. It fractures family relationships by demanding loyalty and time to the new family, their classmates and teacher as well as the administrators. Life isn't just about money and being homeschooled does not preclude the ability to have a successful career.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Life is not lived inside a bubble. Keeping our children isolated from public education may not be in their best interest. Parents can teach their children liberty minded principles and keep them from becoming indoctrinated by the system. Your children could help spread liberty minded ideals to their peers. Ever known an old school type immigrant from Poland or somewhere that raises their child in the US under very strict guidelines? How do they manage to keep their children in line when all other kids are doing??? It is called parenting. Everything taught in school is not bad. A person graduating from an Ivy League college with honors will earn more money in their lifetime than most.
    Public school is an unnatural environment. It is the only place where people of the same age are grouped together. Most of them are fenced in. The entire concept of sit down, shut up, and listen is unnatural. Public schooling is called schooling for a reason. It is not education. It is indoctrination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZp7eVJNJuw

Life is not lived inside a bubble.
    Two weeks ago my homeschooled kids went on three field trips in one week, along with other homeschooled kids.
    I agree, life is not lived inside a bubble, especially when public school is that very bubble.

Keeping our children isolated from public education may not be in their best interest.
    Any reason why it is not in their interest is an artificial reason espoused by those within that system which is ultimately unenforceable without their devolvement into a total police state.

Parents can teach their children liberty minded principles and keep them from becoming indoctrinated by the system.
    And parents can also take the position "I believe in God, but I'm gonna let my kids decide for themselves".
    Then the child grows up and realizes that if the parent truly did believe in God, that parent would never have left this decision to the child.
    The inevitable result is disbelief in God, because it just wasn't that important when the child was growing up.
    This logical void is identical to believing in freedom yet sending your child to school.
    If you believe in freedom, school is not an option.
    If you send your child to school, then you really don't believe in freedom, regardless of how many platitudes you can recite.

Your children could help spread liberty minded ideals to their peers.
    Until his sixth or seventh beating. Upon which your child will start smoking, because that's still the most expedient way to belong to a clique.

Ever known an old school type immigrant from Poland or somewhere that raises their child in the US under very strict guidelines? How do they manage to keep their children in line when all other kids are doing??? It is called parenting.
    Actually, this is called racism.

Everything taught in school is not bad.
    I agree. But the fact remains that everything good that can be learned in school can be learned in about a fifth of the total time spent at school.

A person graduating from an Ivy League college with honors will earn more money in their lifetime than most.
    Non sequitur.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I didn't know we had children together. When can I expect a child support check?
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Don't you run an all-girl boarding school in your bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    That would be the basement, not the bedroom.
    (The bedroom is for one-on-one "tutoring" & "discipline" sessions ...)

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    That would be the basement, not the bedroom.
    (The bedroom is for private tutoring sessions ...)

How can I start a scholarship fund for underprivileged women?

I'm still trying to get funding for my Home for Wayward Women.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I'm still trying to get funding for my Home for Wayward Women.
    I'm sure the great state of Minnesota has some grants available.

“Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations...entangling alliances with none”― Thomas Jefferson

It works in microcosm. It's not isolationist.

Properly identified:

Not enough information to differentiate between Cockpit Teaser and Shotgun. Maybe next post.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I did both public school and online courses (from a program really popular among homeschoolers.) Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. I agree that homeschoolers have to work a little harder to get the same social interaction. At public school, your entire day is spent with classmates. My school was too small for the nearly 3,000 students there, so you were literally elbow to elbow with people. Homeschool kids do have the advantage of working at their own pace and can learn so much more, tailor their studies to topics of interest, and it's a lot easier to graduate early. I plowed through some of my online classes and finished them in 1/5 of the time my public school taught the course.

I wouldn't say public school was indoctrinating like many anti-public school people suggest. My biggest issue with public school is they waste SO MUCH TIME! OMG, it's ridiculous! Say school starts at 8:00 AM, they don't really get started until like 8:20 or so. We would get like 8 minutes between classes to walk to the next class. Often times, a 50 minute class would end up being 30-45 minutes and then the teacher would just sit and watch everyone do homework. You'd learn like one or two concepts per class and it was often slow or boring. There were a lot of goofy rules and the teachers would yell at students for dumb things. In elementary school, my friends and I got time out because we were playing Harry Potter and used sticks as wands (if you touch a stick, you'd get sent to time out because sticks were considered "dangerous.")

If I could go back in time, I would have picked online school. At the same time, I agree you can't just sit at your computer all day with no classmates to interact with. There are high school homeschool groups that get together and like go to a nearby cafe or public library to work on stuff together.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Homeschooling isn't a good idea. It's a great one.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

I'm sure the great state of Minnesota has some grants available.
    Recently, I've been thinking about opening one in Colombia.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Recently, I've been thinking about opening one in Colombia.
    Once I get back I'll see what I can do to help you out. I'm sure my associates can help you with the funding and women needed.

Home schooling is the best way to educate the children IMO. I believe it is because while they're children and growing during the time of their education is when and where they learn what they will need to carry them through the rest of their lives. This is the time in their life when they're most impressionable and pliable with regard to whatever they're being taught and by whom.

While some may have to use public education systems, their children are at risk of being indoctrinated by people and things that oppose what the parents believe in and practice. This is usually very difficult then for the parent to control what is being taught and how by someone other than themselves and usually the parents have to keep close tabs on what's being planted into the minds of their children. This is also more difficult for the children because they're being taught two separate set of values and exposed to influences beyond the control of the parents.

Once a child is grown and done with their primary education, this is when they go out into the world and learn the differences and usually, if they've been taught rightly will at least have those values instilled in them knowing and understanding the difference whether they choose to live by them or not. Mom and Dad can pretty much rest assured that they did the best they could then no matter what the children choose later in life.

Eagles' Wings

Please take this somewhere else.

My son is thinking about homeschooling his daughter. She's in kindergarten and already hates it. It doesn't help that she's way taller than any of the kids in her class and looks like a much older child. She goes to church most Sundays and has friends there, she could also join Girl Scouts or take gymnastics or dance classes with mixed ages.
    My son has to see a doctor in Lexington, Ky fairly often so I suggested that he could make his trips educational if he was homeschooling. One place that I suggested he take her is the Lexington Public Library to see their Foucault pendulum clock. She might be a little young to get into the technical aspects of how it works but it is a work of art.

Public School Sucks!
    Last edited by Schifference; 01-30-2014 at 11:45 PM.

[snip unbroken wall o' text]
    Is Home Schooling a good idea?
    Only if it involves instruction regarding the value and use of paragraphs ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Only if it involves instruction regarding the value and use of paragraphs ...
    Damn, you beat me to it. I was about to say:

"I guess we can conclude they don't teach the use of paragraphs in public school."

Quote Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
    My son is thinking about homeschooling his daughter. She's in kindergarten and already hates it. It doesn't help that she's way taller than any of the kids in her class and looks like a much older child. She goes to church most Sundays and has friends there, she could also join Girl Scouts or take gymnastics or dance classes with mixed ages.
    My son has to see a doctor in Lexington, Ky fairly often so I suggested that he could make his trips educational if he was homeschooling. One place that I suggested he take her is the Lexington Public Library to see their Foucault pendulum clock. She might be a little young to get into the technical aspects of how it works but it is a work of art.
    Best of luck to you son! Liberty is all about making choices, preferably those that are in one's best interest.
    XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Homeschooling can be a great thing, if a person is capable. And, even if not, there may be resources that can be used and the parent could learn along with the children, if they learn to learn. I found, while homeschooling my youngest son, that learning to learn was a very important lesson for him.

Some parents can't homeschool because of their abilities. Or, some, because of their lack of "caring" and just wanting a babysitter to get them out of their hair.

Local voluntary schools, financed with voluntary funds, taught by interested and qualified teacher(s), are a good choice for some children.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Ancient Athens

Ancient Athens is a model for education rather than indoctrination.

What were the objectives of education in Ancient Athens, and how did education prepare students for their roles in society?
    Athens was the main educational, intellectual and cultural center of Ancient Greece. The main purpose of education in Ancient Athens was to make citizens trained in the arts, and to prepare them for both peace and war. It was aimed at the cultivation of the students' physical, mental, and moral qualities. From Athens we get the motto: A sound mind in a sound body. All schools were very small private schools, and education was very valued.

am watching this...

"Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Best of luck to you son! Liberty is all about making choices, preferably those that are in one's best interest.
    XNN
    Thanks, I homeschooled him for a little while and his younger brother from 3rd grade on, so he's familiar with the concept. Because of the weather my granddaughter has been out of school for most of January and she doesn't want to go back! Not that I can blame her, I hated school too.

Public School Sucks!
    Sooo...you're just trolling then?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast