Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Campaign Plan

Default My Campaign Plan

Shem's "roadmap for success" thread...

If you haven’t donated yet, please consider doing so here.

If you haven't seen my campaign evaluation thread, check it here.

File to run for office: 06/04/14
    Win primary election: 09/09/14
    Win general election: 11/04/14

PREFACE
    The purpose of writing out my campaign plan in this and other posts is to involve the RPF users who sincerely care to help me, to convince them that my race is winnable, and to demonstrate that I am committed to winning. My hopes are that my threads will additionally encourage others to run for office and serve as a reference for them to use in planning as I share what works for me and what doesn't. To engage as many people as possible, I will be crowd-sourcing aspects of my campaign from RPF rather than from traditional sources.

I found writing out this post to be helpful because as I mention below, if the primary is contested I will be taking three months off work unpaid to knock doors, and more time off if I win (New Hampshire state reps only get paid $100 / year) [and I would probably refuse that salary anyway on principle]. This is a career- / life-changing decision so I wanted to be sure I had thought everything out entirely. I will continue to update this thread (and others) as I make progress, and welcome your input. To provide a record of things, I will try to avoid editing my posts where ever possible. Thank you!

By the way, if you didn’t know it already, the NH House of Representatives is the largest lower house in the nation, and the third largest parliamentary body in the English-speaking world. Each member represents an average of 3,291 residents. Nevertheless, reps in New Hampshire have a unique opportunity to endorse a presidential primary candidate. Help improve a liberty candidate’s chances of winning the first-in-the-nation primary state by helping me. If I win the election and cannot refuse the salary, I will start a poll on an RPF thread to identify a candidate worthy of a personal donation in the equivalent amount of the salary.

CAMPAIGN PLAN (for those who don’t care so much this is the tl;dr part)
    There is a possibility I may be running in the primary unopposed; I will not know officially until the candidate filing period is over (June 13). My plan presupposes the primary race will be contested. Check out the Campaign Evaluation thread for the list of incumbents. All four seats are open in 2014. As of this posting, I have confirmed that two of the incumbents are running for reelection; worst case all four incumbents run. Since the top four vote getters win, I would only need to defeat one of the incumbents. I have already started processing the numbers and know that roughly 1,000 households voted in the 2012 state primary. If running opposed, I intend to knock on all of these doors personally and via volunteers. I will be taking time off work to knock doors full-time from the filing period until the primary date (approximately three months).

I am hoping someone on RPF owns and is proficient in (or can get a copy of) Microsoft Streets & Trips and is willing to figure out how to import my voter data to generate a walker list. [Please see future thread on this]. I would like the list in my hand by or before the day the filing period ends. At that time, I will know if the primary is contested and I even have to knock doors. I am not concerned about getting volunteers. I hosted dozens of friends from MA, CT, RI, ME, etc. when I was my town coordinator in 2012. I run RP meetups in all of these states. I will use out-of-staters wisely. Plus I have a list of 80+/- RP supporters in my town who were identified by volunteers like you during the phone-banking from the last POTUS cycle.

There is a sense of urgency for your support in that I need to put everything into winning the primary (September 9). After that, the general election should not require "full-time" campaigning on my part.

I will have palm cards / door hangers designed before the filing period. The instant I know the primary will be contested, I will pay to have the palm cards printed for my door knocking effort. Palm cards will include email, phone number, and URLs to both a website that you're going to help me with and Facebook page that I will create and maintain. I have identified a liberty-friendly printer nearby who is willing to do work at-cost for candidates like myself. My palm card will include my talking points, my credentials listed in evaluation thread, etc.

I have already registered a domain and RFP user Suzu is presently hosting my website. Right now it’s very basic but I would like some suggestions. [Please see separate website thread and campaign finance threads]. A priority is the graphic for the donation page banner. [See graphics thread].

The Facebook page has not yet been launched but will be fairly typical for a down-ticket political candidate. I will run targeted advertisements, e.g. residents of my district of voting age who like Mitt Romney, Ronald Reagan, etc. to get likes. As the primary approaches I will boost posts announcing endorsements, etc. BTW speaking of endorsements, Rand is probably the only politician whose name would carry weight, that I would be proud to have endorsed me, and that I would have any chance in hell of securing. If anyone has leads on how to pursue that, please let me know. Expect additional threads about Facebook and endorsements soon.

If the primary is contested I am considering conducting polling and a direct outreach campaign over the phone. I would like to get yard signs up and send out a postcard immediately prior to primary day, announcing anything new since voters had last seen my palm card (endorsements, campaign pledges, etc.), and run a GOTV robocall. I will be making a thread to discuss the timing of these activities.

In summary,

PROJECTED EXPENDITURES DURING THE PRIMARY (in somewhat chronological order, actual costs to come later)
    -Domain registration, website hosting, development, and maintenance; see website thread
    -Purchase Microsoft Streets & Trips (if no one here has / or can get it)
    -Filing fee $2 (fortunately I’m in NH; I understand it can be thousands of dollars in other states) [alternatively I could submit 5 signatures]
    -Buttons / stickers for volunteers
    -Palm card / door hanger photo shoot and design: already have a local-liberty contact in mind and will announce it later
    -Palm card / door hanger printing: use same as design company
    -Misc. design, printing, and postage for donor and voter Thank You letters, etc.
    -Facebook advertising: see future thread
    -Yard sign design and printing: would use same printing company, see future thread on timing
    -GOTV robocall: still learning about this; more to come
    -Direct mailing(s): postcard design, printing and postage (would use same printing company)

I have taken the time to develop a comprehensive campaign plan to win the race but I do need some financial support. I wouldn't expect you to make a financial sacrifice if I haven't. As I mentioned, if the primary is contested I will be taking an unpaid leave-of-absence to knock doors and forgoing about three months in wages. And if I win, I will not be able to work full-time at my job (and the political position only pays $100 / year). These state rep races in NH are some of the smallest in the country. I'm looking to raise less than $10,000 dollars. [Again, see future campaign finance thread].

I hope that my written plan, including the list of exactly what money will be spent on, helps to convince you that you're contributing to a credible, professional, and well thought-out campaign dedicated to winning!

Any other ideas? Please post here; I'd love to hear them. I'll really need the community's help with this! And if someone could post a link to this thread on Daily Paul, or anyone else you think would want to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shem
    01.28.14 (p minus 224 days, $0 cash on hand, 0 doors knocked)

Again, if you haven’t donated yet, please consider doing so here: http://www.shemkellogg.com/donate/
    Last edited by skfornh; 03-25-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: links added, new donate site

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Have you posted here under a different handle or are you expecting folks to do some heavy lifting for you even though we have no idea who you are? How you think? If you're professional? Well kept? What you currently do, and how much of the $10k you plan on raising through your local contacts?

You obviously know of Ron Paul, are you a dailypaul person and are just expanding your horizons to RPF?

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Have you posted here under a different handle or are you expecting folks to do some heavy lifting for you even though we have no idea who you are? How you think? If you're professional? Well kept? What you currently do, and how much of the $10k you plan on raising through your local contacts?

You obviously know of Ron Paul, are you a dailypaul person and are just expanding your horizons to RPF?
    You should recognize his avatar.
    Last edited by fr33; 01-28-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Banned

removed per request
    Last edited by gwax23; 01-28-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Truth is treason ... Occam's Banana's Avatar

//
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-28-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito · fiat justitia, ruat caelum · sic semper tyrannis
    The Bastiat Collection - FREE PDF

Frédéric Bastiat
    • "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      - The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      - Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      - Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      - Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

I have an old copy MS Street and Trips (2005), but I will purchase a new one if that is what you want.
    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of apportionment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have an old copy MS Street and Trips (2005), but I will purchase a new one if that is what you want.
    That is a super nice action on your part! Great job! +Rep
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Sounds like a plan. +rep.

Outline your positions in a manner reasonable to one's sense and you'll do just fine. The truth needs at least heard.

I actually was considering NH as a relocation. Too many eggs in one basket or I just hate the cold, I do not know.. the effort there is hardly matched though. Perhaps someday I'll make it that way. No auto insurance would be refreshing.
    “I call the bottom bunk at Gitmo,” Snowden joked as he contemplated our prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Sounds like a plan. +rep.

Outline your positions in a manner reasonable to one's sense and you'll do just fine. The truth needs at least heard.

I actually was considering NH as a relocation. Too many eggs in one basket or I just hate the cold, I do not know.. the effort there is hardly matched though. Perhaps someday I'll make it that way. No auto insurance would be refreshing.
    Thanks. Positions will be on the website soon.

New Hampshire is beautiful. No mandatory auto insurance policy is nice but similar to NH's no mandatory seatbelt or helmet laws, it's something that many people participate in voluntarily.

Blog Entries

Well thought out plan way ahead of time! Nice. Great work. Good luck.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by skfornh View Post
    Thanks. Positions will be on the website soon.

New Hampshire is beautiful. No mandatory auto insurance policy is nice but similar to NH's no mandatory seatbelt or helmet laws, it's something that many people participate in voluntarily.
    You mean I didn't legally have to wear my seatbelt when I drove through NH last summer? Sheesh, now they tell me.

Seriously though, I only spent a few hours in the state (twice, a few days apart) but I purposely stopped at rest areas to gather information and whatnot. I've always liked the idea of NH and the FSP. Was surprised to see state-run discount liquor stores on the highways; had to visit one of those, too. ;-)

All the best in your campaign. I'll be watching to see how it goes.

Good luck.

Could you do "to do list"?
    Like:
    -make facebook page;
    -collect contact info for all radio, tv, paper, blogs and other media present in your district;
    -make ads (youtube, radio, video....)
    -open and manage social media accounts....

That way people could see the list and say I can do this or that. Pick tasks they feel comfortable with or suggest new ones.
    So you gave up on this:
    H
    elp with documenting voting rights violations and election fraud abuses!?
    Shame. Nothing encourages crime than not punishing it. You are letting them get away with it.FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

I'm in.

Thank you for donating $25.00 to Shem Kellogg, GOP candidate for
    New Hampshire State House of Representatives.

This donation will appear as "Rally" on your bank or credit card
    statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Thanks Danke. Expect a thread on this soon

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Good luck.

Could you do "to do list"?
    Like:
    -make facebook page;
    -collect contact info for all radio, tv, paper, blogs and other media present in your district;
    -make ads (youtube, radio, video....)
    -open and manage social media accounts....

That way people could see the list and say I can do this or that. Pick tasks they feel comfortable with or suggest new ones.
    Thanks, a public "to do" list is in the works.

For starters, I'm looking for help with fundraising, website, and graphics.

For the record, I am completely in support of Shem and first meet him in 2008. Thank you to all who provide support. This is going to be a great campaign for the site.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Site Usage Guidelines which define a Code of Ethics, etiquette on the treatment of others, protocols for the content you post and information on the promotion of businesses and other self-interests. Disagreeing or debating with the Site Staff is perfectly allowed and welcomed, don't think otherwise.

Great plan Shem. I admire your dedication. I hope to see many of us liberty candidates running succesful campaigns in NH and have no doubt you will be a great advocate for liberty as a legislator just like you are as a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    For the record, I am completely in support of Shem and first meet him in 2008. Thank you to all who provide support. This is going to be a great campaign for the site.
    This means a lot coming from you Bryan. Thanks

So what kind of legislation are you looking to introduce or have you thought of any?
    "Look, the American people have chosen to have a fiat money standard because they want a welfare state. You cannot have a gold standard and a welfare state at the same time. You have to make the choice. We have made a decision as a society that we’ll be dealing with the welfare state." -Alan Greenspan

I'm looking forward to your campaign, keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe For Liberty View Post
    Great plan Shem. I admire your dedication. I hope to see many of us liberty candidates running succesful campaigns in NH and have no doubt you will be a great advocate for liberty as a legislator just like you are as a citizen.
    thanks. remember that in 2012 THIRTY New Hampshire state representatives endorsed Ron Paul. I consider many of these to be friends and some have shared success stories and volunteered to offer assistance with my campaign. I hope that me sharing the process with the forums will inspire or help people to run for office in their states

Have you contacted your local newspapers yet and told them you're running? It doesn't have to be a long press release, just include your background, qualifications and a few good quotes about your plans/political goals.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

How RPF is going to get me elected
    RPF God helps those who help themselves.

You can make His job easier by posting easy to read brief bullet points summary of your positions on issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    So what kind of legislation are you looking to introduce or have you thought of any?
    Thanks Taft. I've given some thought new legislation but more thought to bad legislation that's we're seeing now.

For example, my district needs a pro-gun champion; one of my incumbent Republican representatives voted against both constitutional carry and important floor amendments to the stand your ground repeal effort last year. Although I am a CCW license holder, I shouldn't have had to jump through state's hoops to exercise my right. I belong to belong to my local fish and game club. Gun rights could become "my issue," but I'm not sure yet. There is an opportunity for some great 2A legislation in 2015 especially if Republicans sweep.

Hope that helps without exactly answering your question

Quote Originally Posted by skfornh View Post
    Thanks Taft. I've given some thought new legislation but more thought to bad legislation that's we're seeing now.

For example, my district needs a pro-gun champion; one of my incumbent Republican representatives voted against both constitutional carry and important floor amendments to the stand your ground repeal effort last year. Although I am a CCW license holder, I shouldn't have had to jump through state's hoops to exercise my right. I belong to belong to my local fish and game club. Gun rights could become "my issue," but I'm not sure yet. There is an opportunity for some great 2A legislation in 2015 especially if Republicans sweep.

Hope that helps without exactly answering your question
    Yeah, I was just thinking you need an issue (s) to make a name for yourself on. Guns sound good to me.
    "Look, the American people have chosen to have a fiat money standard because they want a welfare state. You cannot have a gold standard and a welfare state at the same time. You have to make the choice. We have made a decision as a society that we’ll be dealing with the welfare state." -Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeforpaul View Post
    I'm looking forward to your campaign, keep us posted!
    of course

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Have you contacted your local newspapers yet and told them you're running? It doesn't have to be a long press release, just include your background, qualifications and a few good quotes about your plans/political goals.
    no, not yet. too early. but i certainly will be

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    RPF God helps those who help themselves.

You can make His job easier by posting easy to read brief bullet points summary of your positions on issues.
    May God have mercy your soul

Blog Entries

PROJECTED EXPENDITURES DURING THE PRIMARY (in somewhat chronological order, actual costs to come later)
    -Domain registration, website hosting, development, and maintenance; see website thread
    It's weak but you have something. Check.
    -Purchase Microsoft Streets & Trips (if no one here has / or can get it)
    Looks like someone is going to help you with this. Check.

-Filing fee $2 (fortunately I’m in NH; I understand it can be thousands of dollars in other states) [alternatively I could submit 5 signatures]
    When was the last time someone submitted signatures instead of paid the fee? Maybe that could create buzz? Anyway, I believe you have some donations already. So Check.

-Buttons / stickers for volunteers
    -Palm card / door hanger photo shoot and design: already have a local-liberty contact in mind and will announce it later
    -Palm card / door hanger printing: use same as design company
    -Misc. design, printing, and postage for donor and voter Thank You letters, etc.
    -Facebook advertising: see future thread
    -Yard sign design and printing: would use same printing company, see future thread on timing
    -GOTV robocall: still learning about this; more to come
    -Direct mailing(s): postcard design, printing and postage (would use same printing company)
    I don't believe any of this has happened yet. It's still early, though. Filing deadlines are real late in NH for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    It's weak but you have something. Check.

Looks like someone is going to help you with this. Check.

When was the last time someone submitted signatures instead of paid the fee? Maybe that could create buzz? Anyway, I believe you have some donations already. So Check.

I don't believe any of this has happened yet. It's still early, though. Filing deadlines are real late in NH for some reason.
    I am unaware of anyone collecting signatures you can get on the ballot so cheap

unfortunately third parties have to pay AND collect sigs, as i understand it: http://sos.nh.gov/nhsos_content.aspx?id=13052
    Republican candidate for New Hampshire State House of Representatives

I have taken the time to develop a comprehensive campaign plan to win the race but I do need some financial support.

please donate at shemkellogg.com

bitcoin and precious metals gratefully accepted!

Blog Entries

Hi Michael,

Thank you for donating $100.00 to Shem Kellogg, GOP candidate for New Hampshire State House of Representatives.

and I'll match donations, in the next 24 hours, up to another $150...

Stoked to see Shem putting his experience to work...

Go Shem!
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast