Thread: Florida Supreme Court Approves Medical Marijuana Initiative To Go On November Ballot

Florida Supreme Court Approves Medical Marijuana Initiative To Go On November Ballot

Florida Supreme Court Approves Medical Marijuana Initiative To Go On November Ballot

The Huffington Post / AP
    01/27/2014 2:47 pm EST

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida measure that would allow the use of medical marijuana has cleared its final hurdle and will be on the November ballot.

The state Supreme Court on Monday approved the language for the proposed constitutional amendment.

The justices gave its approval by a 4-3 vote just three days after a petition drive reached the required number of signatures to place the measure on the ballot.

The decision is a defeat for Attorney General Pam Bondi, who challenged the ballot language by saying it's misleading.

Personal injury lawyer John Morgan has spent about $4 million to place the issue before voters.

Gov. Rick Scott is opposed to medical marijuana. His Democrats challengers, state Sen. Nan Rich and former Gov. Charlie Crist, both support it.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4675318.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    needs 60% of the vote to pass

If the petition is backed by 60 percent of voters in November, Florida would become the first Southern U.S. state to approve marijuana for medical use, joining 20 other states.

A Quinnipiac University Polling Institute survey late last year showed 82 percent public support for the amendment if it was put on the ballot. A constitutional amendment in Florida requires 60 percent voter approval for adoption.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0Q1JG20140127

needs 60% of the vote to pass
    Any Floridians here with a sense of whether this can get 60%?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Any Floridians here with a sense of whether this can get 60%?

Yes, I think it will get more than 60% here, and I believe that 82% approval is higher than it was in any previous state prior to legal MMJ. Color me genuinely surprised.

That being said, the majority of those signatures were from south/central Florida, with almost none from the northern parts of the state, especially in Bay County( my county ), and when I checked last several months ago, there were NO signatures from here, or any of the surrounding counties.

The Northern, or Lower Alabama, part of the state, I see them fighting this, probably start local bans on dispensaries and whatnot. I know several people who are elated at this news, all of them desperate to get off their current Big Pharma candies....

I'm cautiously waiting in the background, I'm not putting my name in any kind of state database. I haven't read the law yet, but I'm sure it will be something like that.

My feeling on the whole thing is for the government to just get the $#@! out of the way. Legalize tomatoes and geraniums, and require everyone to get a card to grow them.

The whole medical thing is just as ludicrous, IMO.
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post
    Yes, I think it will get more than 60% here, and I believe that 82% approval is higher than it was in any previous state prior to legal MMJ. Color me genuinely surprised.

That being said, the majority of those signatures were from south/central Florida, with almost none from the northern parts of the state, especially in Bay County( my county ), and when I checked last several months ago, there were NO signatures from here, or any of the surrounding counties.

The Northern, or Lower Alabama, part of the state, I see them fighting this, probably start local bans on dispensaries and whatnot. I know several people who are elated at this news, all of them desperate to get off their current Big Pharma candies....

I'm cautiously waiting in the background, I'm not putting my name in any kind of state database. I haven't read the law yet, but I'm sure it will be something like that.

My feeling on the whole thing is for the government to just get the $#@! out of the way. Legalize tomatoes and geraniums, and require everyone to get a card to grow them.

It is, but it's a start. The progressives and statists play the long game, we need to be able to do the same.
    "The Patriarch"

I can picture a bunch of 80 yr old grannies passing a one hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I can picture a bunch of 80 yr old grannies passing a one hitter.
    Google "old pot smokers".
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Google "old pot smokers".
    I probably better not now , I will start laughing , the Mrs is taking a nap.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I probably better not now , I will start laughing , the Mrs is taking a nap.
    Old people get grumpy when you wake them up......
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post

You're right to be wary. IL passed a MMJ bill, and then almost like it was planned, they are now trying to put a bill through that would require a FOID card owner to give up their right to firearms if they applied for MMJ. You can't make this $#@! up, this state is a wasteland.
    "The issue is that you to define the best candidate solely based upon what they stand for." - CaptLouAlbano

This is the mindset trying to take hold on RPF.

"Kelly Thomas did this to himself." - FrankRep