Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bible Challenge!

We know it wasn't Sandy Berger because he had on socks. I have no clue without cheating on this one. Unless maybe it was Anthony Wiener.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    We know it wasn't Sandy Berger because he had on socks. I have no clue without cheating on this one.
    What do you call cheating?
    Certainly searching for an answer isn't cheating.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    What do you call cheating?
    Certainly searching for an answer isn't cheating.
    Oh, okay--I thought we already had to know it by heart. I was doing the Googling thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Okay, this one may be tricky, but some might find it interesting....

According to Church tradition, who was the young man in Mark 14:51 who ran naked from the guards who came to arrest Jesus after they grabbed him by the tunic?
    1st guess- James. 2nd guess-John.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Mark the Evangelist

Mark the Evangelist
    WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

Dr. 3D wins again!!!
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Okay, this one is a little tricky like the last one but in the same vein (hint, hint )

According to Church tradition, who was the disciple who walked with the other disciple Cleopas when they met Jesus in disguise on the way to Emmaus?
    +

Mary, the wife of Cleopas.

We don't know the name of the other disciple, but many have said it to be James the Greater, I believe.
    Last edited by eduardo89; 01-21-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Mary, the wife of Cleopas.
    That is a good answer! But not the right one!
    Nevertheless, you get partial credit!

Mary being the fellow traveler is a more common and much more modern guess of who it was. During the last 2000 years, there have been several guesses on who that other disciple is, but according to the (Orthodox) Church (yeah, yeah, I know I am partial! And so is this thread! ), it is not Mary the wife of Cleopas but someone else.

Try another guess!
    +

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    It definitely wasn't Daniel. he spoke of the victorious messiah who will lead us to the kingdom of god on earth, not the one who gets killed in hopes of arriving again at another time to fulfil the prophecy.
    l.
    Dr Bart Ehrman also argues this. However, he's not yet won a formal debate on this, AFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    We don't know the name of the other disciple, but many have said it to be James the Greater, I believe.
    Good guesses all around!

You get partial credit as well!

+

Probably Luke.

Probably Luke.
    WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!

Also interesting tidbit, St. Luke was one of the seventy disciples (along with Cleopas) who went out to spread the Gospel during Christ's ministry (as He instructed them to do). (Luke 10)
    +

Okay, this one is even trickier then the other two! Whoever get this gets TWO gifs of fireworks!

In the Gospel of Matthew (18:15), Christ takes a little child and presents him in the midst of His disciples and says: 'Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Whosoever shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. And who shall receive one such child in my name receiveth me.'

The question is: according to Church tradition, who is this little child?
    +

Ehhh... wouldn't that scripture be Matthew 18:3-5 ?

Ehhh... wouldn't that scripture be Matthew 18:3-5 ?
    uhhm, uhh, yeah, of course you are right! I was just making sure you guys were paying attention!

Matthew 18:2-5
    +

St. Ignatius of Antioch
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 01-21-2014 at 08:36 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    St. Peter was older then Jesus. Why did you guess him?
    +

While we wait for another guess to the previous question, here is another one!

What were the four living creatures Ezekial saw in the his vision given to him by God!
    +

St. Peter was older then Jesus. Why did you guess him?
    Was just a guess.... but you see I revised it to St. Ignatius of Antioch.

WE HAVE ANOTHER WINNER!!!

St. Ignatius was one of the Apostolic Fathers, disciple of St. John, and Bishop of Antioch!!! One of the greatest Martyr Saints of the early Church!!
    +

C'mon you guys, is Dr. 3D the only one who is trying?? I just threw a softball question above!
    +

While we wait for another guess to the previous question, here is another one!

What were the four living creatures Ezekial saw in the his vision given to him by God!
    It's been a while since I did that study.

I remember the faces being those of the tribes of Israel. Argh... I'll have to think about this for a bit.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 01-21-2014 at 08:57 PM.

I suspect they represent all of creation.
    That is an excellent answer! They most definitely are symbols to deeper truths, indeed, multidimensional truths in God's revelation to mankind. Can you name what symbols they appeared to the Prophet Ezekial (that is, how they appeared to him)?
    +

It definitely wasn't Daniel. he spoke of the victorious messiah who will lead us to the kingdom of god on earth, not the one who gets killed in hopes of arriving again at another time to fulfil the prophecy.
    l.
    I like daniel.
    I didn't care for the rewriting of Daniel though, it kind of made it look like someone was doing a little adjusting for the failure of the prophecy.
    A revelation indeed.
    Can you put a link to what you think is the original version of Daniel? Because the version of Daniel I read makes it clear that the Messiah would be killed.

Daniel 9:26
    And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love me some Daniel! He is one of the great prophets of the Church! He missed the part about Christ dying in the flesh (or better said, it was not revealed to him), but I'm pretty impressed that he prophecized the day the Messiah would come down to the very year! That's pretty impressive considering he did it 600+ years prior!
    Not only that, but Daniel predicted the year Jesus would be killed (cut off) and the year Stephen would be stoned.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

That is an excellent answer! They most definitely are symbols to deeper truths, indeed, multidimensional truths in God's revelation to mankind. Can you name what symbols they appeared to the Prophet Ezekial (that is, how they appeared to him)?

There were four faces that were the same as the standards of the four camps of Israel.

The face of an Ox - the camp of Ephram
    The face of an Eagle - the camp of Dan
    The face of a Lion - the camp of Judah
    The face of a Man - the camp of Reuben

Where ever the four creatures go, the throne goes.
    It's as if the four creatures are a representation of the Holy Spirit.

There were four faces that were the same as the standards of the four camps of Israel.

The face of an Ox - the camp of Ephram
    The face of an Eagle - the camp of Dan
    The face of a Lion - the camp of Judah
    The face of a Man - the camp of Reuben

Where ever the four creatures go, the throne goes.
    It's as if the four creatures are a representation of the Holy Spirit.
    That is interesting! I didn't know about the reference to the camps!

I was rather trying to show the connection between the Evangelists and the Four Faces.... Namely, that the vision also prophecizes about the Four Gospels. This has been according to the tradition of the Church, according to the Church Fathers. Below is some artwork depicting it.

Below is a simple graph describing the significance and symbolism:

Dr. 3D, do you have a link about the different camps! The beauty of such visions is that there can be different dimensional meanings and reasons, and I am quite intrigued about the suggestion you make with regards to the different camps!
    +

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast