Thread: The Monsanto Honey Bee Advisory Council

The Monsanto Honey Bee Advisory Council

While the Liberals are busy blaming Monsanto for all the problems in the world, Monsanto thinks they may have solved the bee decline issue: Varroa Mites

(The Varroa mite is considered to be a potential leading contributor to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).)

Monsanto Company Forms Honey Bee Advisory Council, Pledges Support For Honey Bee Health At First-Of-Its-Kind Summit
    Monsanto Commits To Collaboration With Beekeeping Industry Partners To Improve Honey Bee Health

Monsanto
    June 13, 2013

Today, a first-of-its-kind Honey Bee Health Summit concluded at Monsanto Company's Chesterfield Village Research Center. The three-day event hosted by Project Apis m. (PAm) and Monsanto's Honey Bee Advisory Council (HBAC) included nearly 100 members of the bee community representing academics, beekeepers, industry associations and government sectors.

Summit attendees heard from some of the nation's top apiculture researchers on the challenges facing honey bees, an important ecosystem service provider and natural pollinator.

Learning from the Honey Bee Community

"Healthy honey bees are essential for productive agriculture and the environment," said Jerry Hayes, who runs Monsanto's bee industry efforts as the Beeologics commercial lead. "As a company focused on sustainable agriculture, Monsanto has made significant investments in collaborations and R&D for the betterment of honey bee health, including the formation of Monsanto's Honey Bee Advisory Council."

Monsanto joined forces with beekeeping industry experts to form the HBAC. Through the counsel of these experts from the beekeeping industry, Monsanto has learned a great deal about the complex challenges facing beekeepers. Members of Monsanto's HBAC include:

- Diana Cox-Foster, Ph.D., professor, entomology, Penn State University
    - David Mendes, commercial beekeeper and past president of American Beekeeping Federation
    - Gus Rouse, honey bee queen breeder and owner of Kona Queen Hawaii, Inc.
    - Larry Johnson, row crops grower and commercial beekeeper

In addition to working with the honey bee community, Monsanto, alongside other agriculture industry leaders, supports best management practices that are beneficial to honey bee health. Monsanto supports The Guide to Seed Treatment Stewardship, which the American Seed Trade Association (ASTA) and CropLife America (CLA) recently released. The Guide is an industry-wide initiative that promotes the safe handling and management of treated seeds.

Forage for Pollinating Bees

Year-one results of a three-year partnership between PAm and Monsanto also were provided during the summit. The goal of the partnership is to educate and provide forage with growers and landowners in California about the value of planting honey bee forage on land they would otherwise leave unused. The selected flowering plants provide pollen diversity to keep pollinating bees strong.

Almond pollination is extremely important and it demands more colonies than any other crop. It takes approximately 800 commercial beekeepers and 1.6 million honey bee colonies to pollinate California almonds.

"To ensure strong colonies and healthy honey bees for pollination, they need access to varied forage," said Christi Heintz, executive director, PAm. "This partnership signifies a strong commitment to helping find sustainable solutions to improve bee health by providing honey bee forage," said Heintz.

130 percent of the first year's goal was achieved, yielding an area of 450 acres of forage.

Working to Control the Varroa Mite

Based largely on HBAC's counsel, Monsanto has focused its bee health research efforts on finding a way to control the Varroa mite, which is a carrier of various viruses that are harmful to honey bees. The Varroa mite is considered to be a potential leading contributor to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

"If beekeepers let mite pressure get out of control, it becomes an uphill battle and they usually lose," said Hayes.

Monsanto's BioDirect™ technology has the potential for sustainable benefits to beekeepers, growers and consumers in the form of biological solutions. The technology has the potential to control a problem insect on a beneficial insect without harm to the beneficial insect. BioDirect technologies may ultimately be used to identify new and additional opportunities for current herbicides, create better insect control options and offer new virus-control tools.

About Monsanto Company

Monsanto Company is a leading global provider of technology-based solutions and agricultural products that improve farm productivity and food quality. Monsanto remains focused on enabling both small-holder and large-scale farmers to produce more from their land while conserving more of our world's natural resources such as water and energy. To learn more about our business and our commitments, please visit: www.monsanto.com. Follow our business on Twitter® at www.twitter.com/MonsantoCo, on the company blog, Beyond the Rows at www.monsantoblog.com, or subscribe to our News Release RSS Feed.

About Beeologics

Beeologics is an international firm dedicated to restoring bee health and protecting the future of insect pollination. Beeologics was founded in 2007 upon many years of research conducted by some of the world's leading scientists and became a unit of Monsanto Company in 2011. Through continuous research, scientific innovation and a focus on solutions, Beeologics is developing a line of products to specifically address the long-term well being of bees. With offices and laboratories in the United States and Israel, Beeologics brings together some of the world's most recognized scientists in its field to help achieve its mission to positively impact bee health worldwide. To learn more about Beeologics, please visit: www.beeologics.com.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As I recall, Monsanto bought up Beeologics back in 2010 or 2011 after being banned in Poland for devastating the bee population via their genetically modified corn.

This is the closest thing i could find in a pinch that reports on Poland's ban... Poland Announces Complete Ban on Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Maize

Almost immediately thereafter Monsanto purchased the Beeologics company referenced in franks paper or the op here.

What’s more, Beelogics is recognized by the USDA, the USDA-ARS, the media, and ‘leading entomologists’ worldwide. The USDA, of course, has a great relationship with Monsanto. The government agency has gone to great lengths to ensure that Monsanto’s financial gains continue to soar, going as far as to give the company special speed approval for their newest genetically engineered seed varieties. It turns out that Monsanto was not getting quick enough approval for their crops, which have been linkedto severe organ damage and other significant health concerns.

Steve Censky, chief executive officer of the American Soybean Association, states it quite plainly. It was a move to help Monsanto and other biotechnology giants squash competition and make profits. After all, who cares about public health?

It is a concern from a competition standpoint,” Censky said in a telephone interview

This aquisition was made after Poland's banning of Monsanto but also when the issues with gmo's and bee die-off wasn't well known by the general public or the world at large and certainly wasn't ever discussed in the media and this purchase placed them into a position to control the terms of controversy as we see now with this bee council nonsense.

From their site...

Beeologics LLC is an international firm dedicated to restoring bee health and protecting the future of honey bee pollination. Beeologics’ mission is to become the guardian of bee health worldwide.
    So...what's next? GMO bees?

The fact that Beeologics is recognized by the USDA and given Monsanto's meddling and manipulation of government processes and infiltrating positions of authority in the past it certainly should raise some eyebrows.

Here's some history that I had shared in the other discussion regarding the corporate meddling....

A Monsanto official told the New York Times that the corporation should not have to take responsibility for the safety of its food products. "Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food," said Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications.

"Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the FDA's job."

It would be nice to think the FDA can be trusted with these matters, but think again. Monsanto has succeeded in insuring that government regulatory agencies let Monsanto do as it wishes

In order for the FDA to determine if Monsanto's growth hormones were safe or not, Monsanto was required to submit a scientific report on that topic. Margaret Miller, one of Monsanto's researchers put the report together. Shortly before the report submission, Miller left Monsanto and was hired by the FDA. Her first job for the FDA was to determine whether or not to approve the report she wrote for Monsanto. In short, Monsanto approved its own report. Assisting Miller was another former Monsanto researcher, Susan Sechen. Deciding whether or not rBGH-derived milk should be labeled fell under the jurisdiction of another FDA official, Michael Taylor, who previously worked as a lawyer for Monsanto.

Also...just a few others on the list...

Prior to being the Supreme Court Judge who put GW Bush in office,Clarence Thomas was Monsanto's lawyer.

The U.S. Secretary of Agriculture (Anne Veneman) was on the Board of Directors of Monsanto's Calgene Corporation.

The Secretary of Defense (Donald Rumsfeld) was on the Board of Directors of Monsanto's Searle pharmaceuticals.

The U.S. Secretary of Health, Tommy Thompson, received $50,000 in donations from Monsanto during his winning campaign for Wisconsin's governor.

The two congressmen receiving the most donations from Monsanto during the last election were Larry Combest (Chairman of the House Agricultural Committee) and Attorney General John Ashcroft. (Source: Dairy Education Board)

"Agricultural biotechnology will find a supporter occupying the White House next year, regardless of which candidate win the election in November" - Monsanto Inhouse Newsletter, 2000
    Technically, this is also very much a matter of foreign policy as we become more aware of Trans Pacific Partnership. Monsanto is known for suing entire countries who ban them and get in the way of their profit. So when we ask our prospective elected ones...and we will... of their positions on foreign policy, this issue should...and will be...placed into discussion. Eventually they'll be forced to cough up a position on these sciences (if they're competent enough...otherwise we'll see some red faces) and their relevant and specific applications that affect nations all over the world. As it is now, all we get is a constant trend of social regurgitation of free market narrative for the consumption/consumer base and avoidance of the nuts and bolts of the matter like the plague. You know? Up there toasting super big gulps and whatnot like good little pop-up ads for these industries.....it's pathetic.

Relevant reading - Monsanto in US Foreign Policy
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-08-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Monsanto. Stop poisoning the bees would be a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    While the Liberals are busy blaming Monsanto for all the problems in the world, Monsanto thinks they may have solved the bee decline issue: Varroa Mites

(The Varroa mite is considered to be a potential leading contributor to Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).)

As a long time beekeeper this line is so laughable, Monsatan trots this out every so often along with the myth of cell phones. Never mind they spread the most poisonous crap ever invented.

http://news.psu.edu/story/301619/201...ee-larvae-hive

Quote Originally Posted by NO_GMOs View Post
    As a long time beekeeper this line is so laughable, Monsatan trots this out every so often along with the myth of cell phones. Never mind they spread the most poisonous crap ever invented.

http://news.psu.edu/story/301619/201...ee-larvae-hive[/INDENT]
    You spread more poison than they do. For starts, most if not all of the the pesticides in that article aren't even produced by Monsanto.

By all means, join a political forum and bump old threads that have nothing to do with politics by posting a study that's already been debated and thrashed to death several times. That will make you popular and get you LOTS of attention.

Here: bump this -

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...n-The-Internet
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-19-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Old news never goes away. It develops into new news. In fact, old news is always..always...the more relevant news. Too many Americans tend to forget how they ended up in the mess they are in.

It's how tyrannical people in government get away with the old gag about "Well, this is how we did it last time and nobody said anything about it". You see?

Agribusiness and genetically modified organisms are not only a political issue, they are geo-political at this point.

Here: Bump this - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5498698

I was thinking about quoting it as my sig.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-19-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You spread more poison than they do.
    If Monsatans poisons hadn't killed all my bees I wouldn't even be on this forum, since they made my life hell by destroying my livelyhood I thought I would torrment all Pro-GMO sheeple. I guess I found one, care to debate the issue further or you had enough, because I am loaded with knowledge on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Old news never goes away. It develops into new news. In fact, old news is always..always...the more relevant news. Too many Americans tend to forget how they ended up in the mess they are in.

It's how tyrannical people in government get away with the old gag about "Well, this is how we did it last time and nobody said anything about it". You see?

Agribusiness and genetically modified organisms is not only political, it is geo-politicval at this point.
    WTF are you talking about now? Your sock puppet...I mean, your new best friend was talking about a study that has already been discussed. It indicated that mixing different pesticides together might be part of the reason for CCD. She seemed to imply that all chemicals were produced by The Monsanto, which is wrong, but with a name like "Anti-GMO" she's probably used to being wrong a lot.

And now you're weighing in with....what?

Ideologues and science do not belong together.....and it's the ideologues that exploit the politicians.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Monsatans poisons hadn't killed all my bees I wouldn't even be on this forum, since they made my life hell by destroying my livelyhood I thought I would torrment all Pro-GMO sheeple. I guess I found one, care to debate the issue further or you had enough, because I am loaded with knowledge on the subject.
    No you're not. You're nowhere near smart enough to engage me. You're not even smart enough to go to a beekeeping forum to debate CCD.

And you've admitted you signed up just to troll, to boot? Yeah, you're wicked smart, you are.

WTF are you talking about now? ...a study that has already been discussed. ...
    Discussion is never over on such things. It's the very model of science to continue asking questions.

You're nowhere near smart enough to engage me.
    I am. What would you like to talk about?

Discussion is never over on such things. It's the very model of science to continue asking questions.
    Well, quick - go find some science and post it.

Last time you tried that I seem to recall you got all excited over a theory, confusing it with research though. So I'm honestly not holding out much hope.

I am. What would you like to talk about?

No, you're not smart enough either. You type long paragraphs of lofty speculation hinting at obscure theories, but you never have anything substantial to say.

Well, quick - go find some science and post it.

Last time you tried that I seem to recall you got all excited over a theory, confusing it with research though. So I'm honestly not holding out much hope.
    I don't need the Internet. I'm live. Let's go. Show us your wisdom.

Oh, well. Perhaps another time then. I'm hittin' the sheets. Sunrise Service followed by pancakes in the morning. Can't wait.

No you're not. You're nowhere near smart enough to engage me. You're not even smart enough to go to a beekeeping forum to debate CCD.

And you've admitted you signed up just to troll, to boot? Yeah, you're wicked smart, you are.
    I only went to 7th grade, so maybe your right. But now if I prove your wrong on the GMO issue, you've been whiped by a 7th grader LOL! Beekeeping forums are no fun we all know that Monsatan has lied through their teeth to get GMO's approved, and they are poisoning all the bees.

As being a troll, LOL, I really signed up because I believe Rand, like his Father will stop the corporate welfare going to companies like Monsatan. As a delegate in the Republican party I am so proud that I helped Ron Paul win Minnesota in 2012. This GMO debate stuff is just a sideline treat for me. Since I realized in 2009 what was killing my bees I spent many hours online researching.

It's criminal the way the way the Fraud and Death Association (FDA) rubber stamps all rat poison for your and my dinner plate by just reading the summary of studies turned in for approval.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I only went to 7th grade, so maybe your right. But now if I prove your wrong on the GMO issue, you've been whiped by a 7th grader LOL! Beekeeping forums are no fun we all know that Monsatan has lied through their teeth to get GMO's approved, and they are poisoning all the bees.

As being a troll, LOL, I really signed up because I believe Rand, like his Father will stop the corporate welfare going to companies like Monsatan. As a delegate in the Republican party I am so proud that I helped Ron Paul win Minnesota in 2012. This GMO debate stuff is just a sideline treat for me. Since I realized in 2009 what was killing my bees I spent many hours online researching.

It's criminal the way the way the Fraud and Death Association (FDA) rubber stamps all rat poison for your and my dinner plate by just reading the summary of studies turned in for approval.

[mod delete] Many hours online researching? Uh, Google University is NOT a real education. Neither is YouTube, and since you already proudy posted the Huber video it's pretty clear that you didn't actually question anything that you heard or read.

What evidence do you have that Monsanto has lied to get GMO crops approved? Why are you targeting Monsanto, when they are not the only manufacturer of GMO seeds? What evidence do you have that "Monsanto" is killing your bees? (Noting that the Purdue article you cited mentions chemicals that aren't, or are not exclusively, even produced by Monsanto....)

If GMO crops are poisoning us all every day, why aren't there class action suits being filed? With your advanced degree, I'm sure you can explain the cellular effects of the toxins you've identified. It won't make sense to me, but there are others in the forum that can duplicate and verify the results you've isolated.

With your proud admitted lack of even a rudimentary science education, why do you even feel qualified to opine on the process that the FDA uses to identify and isolate potential toxins in the food supply?

Why won't Dr. Huber produce the organism he claims to have isolated and identified if it's killing children? I mean, when the disease that was killing gay men was discovered, teams of scientists from across the globe scrambled to identify the cause. When the HIV was discovered, at least two teams of scientists from different parts of the world published their findings. The rest of the world scrambled to verify the culprit, and then the race for the cure was on.

Why does Dr. Huber not publish his findings? Why won't he share his secret pathogen? Why is he letting people die while he gets paid to speak?
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-20-2014 at 10:29 AM.

[mod delete] Many hours online researching? Uh, Google University is NOT a real education. Neither is YouTube, and since you already proudy posted the Huber video it's pretty clear that you didn't actually question anything that you heard or read.

What evidence do you have that Monsanto has lied to get GMO crops approved? Why are you targeting Monsanto, when they are not the only manufacturer of GMO seeds? What evidence do you have that "Monsanto" is killing your bees? (Noting that the Purdue article you cited mentions chemicals that aren't, or are not exclusively, even produced by Monsanto....)

If GMO crops are poisoning us all every day, why aren't there class action suits being filed? With your advanced degree, I'm sure you can explain the cellular effects of the toxins you've identified. It won't make sense to me, but there are others in the forum that can duplicate and verify the results you've isolated.

With your proud admitted lack of even a rudimentary science education, why do you even feel qualified to opine on the process that the FDA uses to identify and isolate potential toxins in the food supply?

Why won't Dr. Huber produce the organism he claims to have isolated and identified if it's killing children? I mean, when the disease that was killing gay men was discovered, teams of scientists from across the globe scrambled to identify the cause. When the HIV was discovered, at least two teams of scientists from different parts of the world published their findings. The rest of the world scrambled to verify the culprit, and then the race for the cure was on.

Why does Dr. Huber not publish his findings? Why won't he share his secret pathogen? Why is he letting people die while he gets paid to speak?
    FYI, I only went through seventh grade, but within 6 months I had my GED, then it was on to College.

Monsatan lied in the past and continue to lye: ustainablepulse.com/2013/01/07/gmo-seralini-website-shows-public-lied-gm-maize-study/#.U1QKGZiYNok

The FDA didn't use science it was a political decision, it came right from the Bush Whitehouse. Look at the last FDA intenal memo from the Whitehouse http://www.biointegrity.org/list.htm

Also the FDA doesn't have the intellegence to oversee GMO's because the admitt it's up to the company to show it's safe it's not the FDA resposiblity, they only rubber stamp approvals!

Why does Dr. Huber have to produce anything the pathogen is everywhere GMO's are eaten, I even read about a farmer right here in Minnesota with a cofirmed case. Destroying the messenger is a well known tatic of Monsatan, never mind that most of the scientists are on the take, by having a stake in the patent rights.

Here is another lie from Monsatan. They said BT toxins in the corn wouldn't affect humans, but now we know the BT toxins live in our guts and flow in the blood stream of humans.

Oh here is a super joke in the way Bayer got EPA approval of the bee killing pesticides used on GMO's. They placed hives in the middle of 2.5 acre field of canola that was treated with the pesticides, and the control hives where just 950 feet away in it's own 2.5 acres field of canola not treated. Surely you can see the stupidity of this test that the EPA approved with their rubber stamp. Looks like I am not the only one with lower intellegence.

BTW, Bayer can no longer do business in Germany their home country, because they poisoned all the bees there. BASF has also fled Germany, now in North Carolina were their free to poison as many Americans as possible.

FYI, I only went through seventh grade, but within 6 months I had my GED, then it was on to College.

Monsatan lied in the past and continue to lye: ustainablepulse.com/2013/01/07/gmo-seralini-website-shows-public-lied-gm-maize-study/#.U1QKGZiYNok

The FDA didn't use science it was a political decision, it came right from the Bush Whitehouse. Look at the last FDA intenal memo from the Whitehouse http://www.biointegrity.org/list.htm

Also the FDA doesn't have the intellegence to oversee GMO's because the admitt it's up to the company to show it's safe it's not the FDA resposiblity, they only rubber stamp approvals!

Why does Dr. Huber have to produce anything the pathogen is everywhere GMO's are eaten, I even read about a farmer right here in Minnesota with a cofirmed case. Destroying the messenger is a well known tatic of Monsatan, never mind that most of the scientists are on the take, by having a stake in the patent rights.

Here is another lie from Monsatan. They said BT toxins in the corn wouldn't affect humans, but now we know the BT toxins live in our guts and flow in the blood stream of humans.

Oh here is a super joke in the way Bayer got EPA approval of the bee killing pesticides used on GMO's. They placed hives in the middle of 2.5 acre field of canola that was treated with the pesticides, and the control hives where just 950 feet away in it's own 2.5 acres field of canola not treated. Surely you can see the stupidity of this test that the EPA approved with their rubber stamp. Looks like I am not the only one with lower intellegence.

BTW, Bayer can no longer do business in Germany their home country, because they poisoned all the bees there. BASF has also fled Germany, now in North Carolina were their free to poison as many Americans as possible.
    Seraliani - conversation ended.

I am actually not even going to bother responding to you, because everything you say is either frighteningly incorrect, or an absolute lie, or a mixture of both....undocumented by anything at all. Additionally, every "point" you posted has been debunked here over and over.

My life is too short to try to convince stupid people that they are indeed stupid.

But I'm guessing it's pretty likely that your bees were smart enough to figure a way out of the endless misery that surrounds ignorance, and opted for suicide .

(And by the way, even though it won't cure your grammar inadequecies, people who *really* went to college are usually smart enough to at least use a spellchecker. You're welcome.)
    Last edited by angelatc; 04-21-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Pretty typical of those pro-GMO-ers, can't defend their position any more so attack the messenger! BTW I never gave -reputation points, but you sure did which shows you really couldn’t defend your position on GMO's.

Bees had mites for thousands of gazzilions of years... same as dogs.... I dont see suddenly dogs dying by gazzillions... gazzilions I tell you...

$#@! is $#@!ed up and BULL$#@!!
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Pretty typical of those pro-GMO-ers, can't defend their position any more so attack the messenger! BTW I never gave -reputation points, but you sure did which shows you really couldn’t defend your position on GMO's.
    You're going to have to get used to angela. She's a hoot alright. Kind of grows on you after a while.

The scwewy thing, though, is that for every 1 - rep that you get from her on a post, you'll probably get 10 + reps for the same exact post.True story.

You're going to have to get used to angela. She's a hoot alright. Kind of grows on you after a while.

The scwewy thing, though, is that for every 1 - rep that you get from her on a post, you'll probably get 10 + reps for the same exact post.True story.
    She didn't realize she was going to loose the argument, I dealt with far worse than she ever threw at me. Eventually they all fall, lies or ignorance can't stand up against facts. Lately I've been trying to engage the actual scientist that are responsible for keeping the GMO lie going, but I guess I spooked them by asking very hard questions right off.

They tell how safe the GMO are, but they never mention all the EPA internal memo's from the EPA's own scientist warning of very dangerous consequences if they allow Bayer's bee killing pesticide on the market. In my book if your lying on one part, your most likely lying in other parts of the GMO technology.

BTW, how does one vote reputation points? On the Daily Paul we had little arrows for voting up or down on each comment, which I very seldom used in a negative way.

US honeybee population suffers 'unsustainable' death rate over the winter...

Nearly one quarter of the US honeybee population died over the winter, according to an annual survey. Beekeepers report the losses remain higher than they consider sustainable, and the death rate could soon affect the country’s food supply.

“More than three-fourths of the world's flowering plants rely on pollinators, such as bees, to reproduce, meaning pollinators help produce one out of every three bites of food Americans eat,” the US Department of Agriculture said in a statement about the survey. Bees’ pollinating role adds $15 billion to the value of U.S. crops, including apples, almonds, watermelons and beans, according to government reports.

The study, produced by a partnership between the USDA, the Apiary Inspectors of America and the Bee Informed Partnership, found that 23.2 percent of honeybee colonies died over the winter, which is higher than the “acceptable winter mortality rate” of 18.9 percent.

A Harvard study published earlier in May found that two popular insecticides - both of which are neonicotinoids - are the likely cause of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), the disease killing off honeybees and threatening pollination of the world’s crops. The researchers noted that the colder the winter, the more the severe the harm from the insecticides.

"With the damning evidence mounting, pesticide companies can no longer spin their way out of this crisis," Michele Simon, a public health lawyer who specializes in food issues, told Reuters.

But neonicotinoid producers, including Bayer AG, Monsanto Co and DuPont, argue that mites - not their products - are to blame for the devastating loss.

BeeLogics, a Monsanto-owned bee health company and a collaborator on the annual survey, laid much of the blame for the colony collapses on the varroa mite, an Asian bee parasite first found in the US in 1987, Reuters reported.

Continued - US honeybee population suffers 'unsustainable' death rate over the winter

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The bees did this to themselves.