Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted Cruz criticizes Obama for not jailing cannabis users in Colorado

Ted Cruz criticizes Obama for not jailing cannabis users in Colorado

That's the Ted Cruz I've come to know recently. He's such a 10th Amendment supporter!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/1...s-in-colorado/

(hey Gage, they used your picture!)

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas on Friday criticized President Barack Obama for not arresting people in Colorado who violated federal law by using marijuana.

“A whole lot of folks now are talking about legalizing pot. The brownies you had this morning, provided by the state of Colorado,” he jokingly said during his keynote speech at Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Policy Orientation.

“And you can make arguments on that issue,” Cruz continued. “You can make reasonable arguments on that issue. The president earlier this past year announced the Department of Justice is going to stop prosecuting certain drug crimes. Didn’t change the law.”

Voters in Colorado and Washington state voted to legalize the recreational use of marijuana in 2013, but federal law still prohibits the use of the drug. The Department of Justice announced in August of 2013 that it would not target for arrest adults who used marijuana in compliance with state laws.

Cruz said the Obama administration should continue imprisoning people for using marijuana until federal law is changed.

“You can go to Congress, you can get a conversation, you could get Democrats and Republicans who would say, ‘We ought to change our drug policy in some way,’ and you could have a real conversation, you could have hearings, you could look at the problem, you could discuss commonsense changes that maybe should happen or shouldn’t happen. This president didn’t do that. He just said, ‘The laws say one thing’ — and mind you these are criminal laws, these are laws that say if you do ‘X, Y, and Z’ you will go to prison. The president announced, ‘No, you won’t.’”
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Of all the things to criticize Obama over, Cruz chooses this issue.

When I found out Cruz's wife works for Goldman Sachs, that was the icing on the cake. Cruz is just another piece of donkey chit. I bet he and Obama sip tea and eat crumpets together on a regular basis.

I think Ted Cruz is criticizing Obama for selectively enforcing the law. Obama has also been criticized for tweaking the Obamacare law without congressional approval.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    I think Ted Cruz is criticizing Obama for selectively enforcing the law. Obama has also been criticized for tweaking the Obamacare law without congressional approval.
    FrankRep to Cruz' rescue!

10th Amendment. Shall I google it for you?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

It's often been said that the president can't do much when fantasizing about what a Ron Paul administration would be like. That was often countered by many of us saying that President Paul could selectively choose to not enforce laws. It's something many of us still hope for from Rand.

The state of Colorado chose to legalize weed. An overwhelming majority of Congress does not support legalizing weed or even decriminalizing incrementally. Cruz knows all of this yet he wants the feds to tromp all over the states.

Federal drug laws are unconstitutional in the first place - Obama cannot legally enforce those laws (would you rather that he did? ). States also have the right to nullify unconstitutional laws. Furthermore, one of the tenants of nullification is that it's supposed to make the president look like a bad guy if he goes against (excuse me for having to say this) "the will of the majority" of a state (especially if it's a liberal in office and opposition to the law is considered to be a "liberal" issue, as it is here). From a liberty perspective, all the ducks are in a row. Cruz doesn't share the liberty perspective it would seem. What if a state decided to nullify Obamacare - would Cruz be criticizing Obama for not cracking down on people who refused to buy insurance and pay the fine? Nope. Would he suggest that the opposing state should deal with it by going "to Congress" in order to "get a conversation"? Nope. Smells like political grandstanding here

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    FrankRep to Cruz' rescue!
    10th Amendment. Shall I google it for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    Federal drug laws are unconstitutional in the first place - Obama cannot legally enforce those laws (would you rather that he did? ).
    Chill out.

I'm a big supporter of the 10th Amendment/Nullification movement.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Explain this one:

Ted Cruz Supports the 10th Amendment, Nullification Movement (2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIS7KN0QuzI

Former Texas Solicitor General Ted Cruz remarks at the launch of the Texas Public Policy Foundation's Center for Tenth Amendment Studies. Austin, Texas. 5/20/10.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 01-10-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    ----

What. A. Dick.

Until now, I have been utterly indifferent to Cruz.

Not anymore. Ted Cruz can go to hell.

Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law." - The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      - Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      - Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·
    MOFA (Make Orwell Fiction Again)

I'm not defending Ted Cruz, but he used to support the 10th Amendment so either his speech falsely painted him as anti-10th or he did a major flip-flop.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
    Of all the things to criticize Obama over, Cruz chooses this issue.
    Yup.

And I'm with Obama on this one- take a leap Cruz and get your head where the sun shines.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Yup.

And I'm with Obama on this one- take a leap Cruz and get your head where the sun shines.
    Obama is hardly the savior for marijuana reform.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

so much for the constitution
    and so much for ted

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

I'm not defending Ted Cruz, but he used to support the 10th Amendment so either his speech falsely painted him as anti-10th or he did a major flip-flop.
    Or he's a Tea-o-con.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Oh, I agree- I think it is better to NOT arrest people in Colorado than to throw them in jail for a conflicting federal law.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh, I agree- I think it is better to NOT arrest people in Colorado than to throw them in jail for a conflicting federal law.
    Obama doesn't.

Trust and believe, the DEA is very active in Colorado.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Constitution > "Federal Law."

I don't see how tweaking an unconstitutional law and not enforcing such a law have much in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    What. A. Dick.

Until now, I have been utterly indifferent to Cruz.

Not anymore. Ted Cruz can go to hell.
    He's been a shill for Israel for awhile now, have you been unaware of this? Don't get me wrong, this is another reason for this idiot to go to Hell, but its hardly the first.

We know. Obama still > Cruz on this issue.

Yeah, that's what we call the "sane person" response
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Isn't he a dual citizen? I think he should resign immediately, we don't need dual loyalty elected or appointed officials in the USA. Recall his ass!
    Last edited by RickyJ; 01-10-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    We know. Obama still > Cruz on this issue.
    Obama has imprisoned peaceful marijuana growers and smokers. He has jailed non-profit organizers who only wish to alleviate pain and medically help the poor and decrepit. Ted Cruz has not. Obama's rhetoric now is piss in the face of the one million plus jailed for marijuana crimes. Aside to them, it is atrociously offensive to those directly arrested at his request.

You can dislike Cruz's rhetoric and applaud Obama's but the truth of the matter is that Obama is multiple times worse than even a tyrant like George W. Bush with regards to just the medical marijuana issue, the drug war issue in general, or in general. Ted Cruz hasn't reached that level of power and certainly has not been that directly at blame. Not that Cruz is some savior for marijuana reform, even if his words are out of context as I somewhat suspect. Cruz is another politician. Rand Paul, by the way, doesn't have the appropriate response to this issue. Not many do.

Obama has imprisoned peaceful marijuana growers and smokers. He has jailed non-profit organizers who only wish to alleviate pain and medically help the poor and decrepit. Ted Cruz has not. Obama's rhetoric now is piss in the face of the one million plus jailed for marijuana crimes. Aside to them, it is atrociously offensive to those directly arrested at his request.

You can dislike Cruz's rhetoric and applaud Obama's but the truth of the matter is that Obama is multiple times worse than even a tyrant like George W. Bush with regards to just the medical marijuana issue, the drug war issue in general, or in general. Ted Cruz hasn't reached that level of power and certainly has not been that directly at blame. Not that Cruz is some savior for marijuana reform, even if his words are out of context as I somewhat suspect. Cruz is another politician. Rand Paul, by the way, doesn't have the appropriate response to this issue. Not many do.
    OK, I get that Cruz isn't really in power, but the fact remains that Cruz's position this issue is more authoritarian than Obama's. I'm not "Applauding" Obama either. I've referred to him as a "capital criminal" and "a man who ruined far more lives than Ted Bundy" (That's the understatement of the year too, but I use that against people who AREN'T "awake.") I think he's disgusting and vile. But he's still less evil than Cruz with regards to this issue, despite still being evil and having more power to implement that evil.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

He's been a shill for Israel for awhile now, have you been unaware of this? Don't get me wrong, this is another reason for this idiot to go to Hell, but its hardly the first.
    I've been aware of it. I just don't give a $#@!. (That is, after all, what "utterly indifferent" means.)

And if I never hear the word "Israel" again, it will be too soon.

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law." - The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I've been aware of it. I just don't give a $#@!. (That is, after all, what "utterly indifferent" means.)
    Wait, so why don't you care about that?
    And if I never hear the word "Israel" again, it will be too soon.
    That won't happen until dispensationalism is eliminated as a political force. In other words, that won't happen.

OK, I get that Cruz isn't really in power, but the fact remains that Cruz's position this issue is more authoritarian than Obama's. I'm not "Applauding" Obama either. I've referred to him as a "capital criminal" and "a man who ruined far more lives than Ted Bundy" (That's the understatement of the year too, but I use that against people who AREN'T "awake.") I think he's disgusting and vile. But he's still less evil than Cruz with regards to this issue, despite still being evil and having more power to implement that evil.
    Cruz's "position" flows with the current. Have you watched the video Frank posted? I'll admit I have not either. (I really cannot stomach Cruz except for the occasional roasting of Feinstein) The excerpt quoted sounds out of context. How out of context?-- I couldn't say. The fact remains the same that Cruz would be hard pressed in a Senatorial career to do more damage than Obama or Bush has. Obama's current appearance of calling back the dogs makes no nevermind when the people he's ordered arrested are incarcerated to this day (and for decades beyond it, as well).

He pardoned how many? I mean it's turkey number cubed, probably, and if not, close enough so. I understand that Cruz is not particularly a defender of liberty. He is multitudes better than Obama on any issue I could imagine... Including whether or not he favors sanctions on Iran or whether or not he favors locking up Coloradans. As I know you know, the amount of damage Obama has done to this republic and the rule of law is probably irreparable. That is not to excuse Cruz's at-times-awfulness.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    KC- You're talking about something different than I'm talking about. You're talking about the relative harm done by each person, and I agree, Obama has caused far, far more, simply by virtue of having the powers of the President. Ted Cruz, by contrast, is only a Senator, as you say. So he can't do as much harm. I agree, you're right.

I, by contrast, am comparing the POSITIONS of these two men. And I am saying Ted Cruz's POSITION on this issue is more authoritarian than that of President Obama. I could say the same thing about Iranian sanctions.

Let's look at it this way. Person A thinks its OK to lock all Jews in a concentration. Person B thinks its OK to execute all Jews on the spot. However, Person A is the governor of Texas, while person B is a common civilian. Person A is causing more harm than Person B, but Person B's POSITION is worse.

Like many,, he talks out of both sides of his face.

Just because someone says things that you want to hear does not mean he is on your side.

Ronald Reagan said a lot of good stuff,, and did the opposite.
    Bush said good stuff,, and did other stuff.

$#@!,, even Obama said some good stuff.

They Lie. That is what they do.

and this is why I do not jump on every bandwagon.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Wait, so why don't you care about that?
    Because Ted Cruz has never struck me as being anything other than a big, fat, garden-variety Zero - no different from all the other Zeros in Congress (except for the inordinate amount of attention, pro or con, paid to him by others in the Liberty Movement.) Thus, I could not care less who he's a shill for - any more than I care about who Senator John or Jane Q. Random is a shill for. (Franky, I have never understood all the Sturm und Drang over the guy.)

Repudiation of federal power (in the form of nullification, overriding federal laws/regulations, etc.) is something that matters a great deal to me, as I believe it to be one of the key strategies - quite possibly *the* key strategy - that should be pursued by the Liberty Movement. So with this latest bit of nonsense, Cruz gets moved from my "Big Fat Zeros I Don't Give a Damn About" column to my "Avowed Enemies of Liberty" column. YMMV.

That won't happen until dispensationalism is eliminated as a political force. In other words, that won't happen.
    *shrug* Whatever. The phrase, "If I never X, it will be too soon" is just a rhetorical device - it isn't supposed to taken literally.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 01-10-2014 at 11:24 PM.

KC- You're talking about something different than I'm talking about. You're talking about the relative harm done by each person, and I agree, Obama has caused far, far more, simply by virtue of having the powers of the President. Ted Cruz, by contrast, is only a Senator, as you say. So he can't do as much harm. I agree, you're right.

I, by contrast, am comparing the POSITIONS of these two men. And I am saying Ted Cruz's POSITION on this issue is more authoritarian than that of President Obama. I could say the same thing about Iranian sanctions.

Let's look at it this way. Person A thinks its OK to lock all Jews in a concentration. Person B thinks its OK to execute all Jews on the spot. However, Person A is the governor of Texas, while person B is a common civilian. Person A is causing more harm than Person B, but Person B's POSITION is worse.
    I understand all of this. Cruz's position is not based in principle. It is conservatively what the people are telling him it is. He has a few special interest schemes but that is frankly to be expected with most all elected officials. I doubt or at least haven't seen yet, aside from this one excerpt of a speech, Cruz's position to be anything anti-10th Amendment. It reads like it is chopped and ill represented.

Obama's position, so we are clear, is to imprison non-violent, non-crime committing individuals with sentences that range in the multiple decades a piece. Federal raids and trials for medical and alleged legal marijuana, to be clear. That is his position. That is part of his legacy.

Even the words Obama says now are fundamentally wrong, half-assed, and political theater. Not that Cruz's aren't the same. So the ultimate test relies on their actions with regard to said position. Obama should be impeached for his; Cruz thrown out of office.

I'm not trying to nitpick.

Isn't it amazing that Marijuana is so harmless that even the Prohibitionist can casually joke about it without controversy?

**** off Ted. I can't believe the amount of BS I've read in response to legalization in Colorado and Washington, straight up reefer madness BS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast