Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul: feds may have unfairly 'targeted' dad's supporters

Thumbs down Rand Paul: feds may have unfairly 'targeted' dad's supporters

The son of Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-Texas) is critical of the government's recent seizure of special copper coins honoring his father.

Dr. Rand Paul says although his father's campaign has nothing to do with the "Ron Paul dollars," he is concerned his father's supporters were targeted because of their political views.

"I know you can't counterfeit money, and that's an appropriate law; but this money has Ron Paul's picture on it and I don't think you're going to fool a lot of people into thinking it's George Washington's picture," he says.

See full article here:
    http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/11/ro...eds_may_ha.php
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doesn't matter. I'm a Ron supporter, but Rand is wrong here. The law plainly states you can't counterfeit even if the coin is of original design. It's not an issue of mistaking it for Washington....it's against the law.

If that is true why are they not enforcing the law at Chuck E Cheeses and other places around the nation that require tokens instead of coins.
    Charles Gathers
    US Air Force Veteran, 2000 - 2006

A law that just happened to be enforced when they put Ron Paul's face on a coin...after the company has been in operation for over a decade...and well known by law enforcement agencies and the US Mint.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

commemorative coins are all over the place

So why don't they confiscate Monopoly of Disney Dollars?

Uhh truefreedom what about those disney dollars, tokens you play with at the arcade, or any other "commenritive" coins.

evadmurd

Quote Originally Posted by Robben View Post
    So why don't they confiscate Monopoly of Disney Dollars?
    It's worth the same.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFreedom View Post
    Doesn't matter. I'm a Ron supporter, but Rand is wrong here. The law plainly states you can't counterfeit even if the coin is of original design. It's not an issue of mistaking it for Washington....it's against the law.

Counterfitting is against the law. This isn't counterfeitting.

Nobody's claiming that counterfeiting is legal. Everyone agrees that it's not. The Liberty Dollar is clearly not counterfeit, just like any commemorative coin made of precious metals is not a counterfeit.

This isn't counterfeiting.

Right but don't people try to pass Ron Paul coins off as actual money through the use of "bartering" just like the liberty dollar? That is what makes it different than a Chuck E. Cheese or commerative coin, they don't try to pass those off as actual money. I believe the law specifically mentions this......

libertydollars is going to come up looking good out of this deal... eventually.

believe it or not, it is probably a win/win situation... in the long run.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by evadmurd View Post
    It's worth the same.
    Ha!

We walk a fine line on what is legal and is not legal in today's abandonment of the rule of law. I would think carefully again on your position here.
    ..Oo.o~ Rights are Divine ~o.oO..

What about chocolate-wrapped-in-foil coins, are they gonna shut down Hershey?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also US v. Marigold upheld that the design of the coin does not matter.

I dont see the debate, this is pretty clear.....

Whoever, except as authorized by law, makes or utters or passes, or attempts to utter or pass, any coins of gold or silver or other metal, or alloys of metals, intended for use as current money, whether in the resemblance of coins of the United States or of foreign countries, or of original design, shall be fined under this title [1] or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

they were not coins btw, they were medallions made of silver and gold and copper that people used to trade with as barter.

Liberty Dollar never ever called them legal tender or called them coins, so why do you keep categorizing them as coins such as the Feds are trying to do?

If I buy an arcade token and use it to buy a game in a machine am I not using that token as currency? The machine itself has a slot for a quarter and a token meaning they have equal purchasing power. I haven't been in an arcade in 20 years or so but I remember using the tokens as money daily.

I dont see the debate, this is pretty clear.....

Whoever, except as authorized by law, makes or utters or passes, or attempts to utter or pass, any coins of gold or silver or other metal, or alloys of metals, intended for use as current money, whether in the resemblance of coins of the United States or of foreign countries, or of original design, shall be fined under this title [1] or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
    "current money" -- what does that mean?

Hmm i got this from Liberty Dollars website. I thought they weren't calling it real money.....

The Liberty Dollar is the second-most popular and the fastest-growing currency in America! It's backed by gold and silver instead of being backed by national debt like our familiar US dollars. When you hold the Liberty Dollar, you own silver. When you give this REAL money to someone as payment, they now own silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigonx View Post
    they were not coins btw, they were medallions made of silver and gold and copper that people used to trade with as barter.
    Hmm that quote from their website said it was real money and called it "currency"...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmm i got this from Liberty Dollars website. I thought they weren't calling it real money.....

The Liberty Dollar is the second-most popular and the fastest-growing currency in America! It's backed by gold and silver instead of being backed by national debt like our familiar US dollars. When you hold the Liberty Dollar, you own silver. When you give this REAL money to someone as payment, they now own silver.

I honestly don't understand your point.

What are you trying to tell people the people here who have already formed an opinion on this matter almost 2 weeks ago after hearing about it and then researching the information themselves to fully understand the situation?

You are mixing up REAL MONEY and "Legal tender"(what the US gov't calls the federal reserve note). I would hope gold and silver is real money since its a precious metal.

Hmm that quote from their website said it was real money and called it "currency"...
    It doesn't matter what they call it... as long as they don't use the buzzword legal tender.
    Why don't we just open up the Constitution, and read it?

Asst. Organizer, Tulsa OK Meetup #32
    Precinct Chair, Tulsa County Precinct #97

http://www.ronpaultulsa.com/
    http://www.ronpaulok.com/

TrueFreedom, do you really understand what really happened? The government STOLE gold and silver from its citizens for no reason other than competition. From what I've learned while living in this world as a human being that STEALING is wrong. Why do you keep trying to find fault with the liberty dollar??? They got shafted in this deal but you keep trying to defend the governments action by trying to say that Liberty Dollar was "legal tender." The only thing that would make the Liberty Dollar illegal was if they called it "legal tender" and they have NEVER once said that. So in conclusion you have no argument.

His/her point might be simply to troll. Who knows? With a name like 'TrueFreedom', I'm surprised this individual is seemingly so eager to discredit Liberty Dollar. Very difficult to discern someone's true motivations online.

What are you trying to tell people the people here who have already formed an opinion on this matter almost 2 weeks ago after hearing about it and then researching the information themselves to fully understand the situation?

You are mixing up REAL MONEY and "Legal tender"(what the US gov't calls the federal reserve note). I would hope gold and silver is real money since its a precious metal.
    I am showing you how it is against the law. You guys say, well they weren't trying to pass it off as real money, it was just a coin like a Chuck E. Cheese coin. Then I show you how it's real money and you say, oh well gold and silver is real money. No it isn't. Gold has no set worth. It is no different than copper or any other metal. Other than being shiny and making jewelry, Gold has no real value other than what we say it is worth......

Quote Originally Posted by margomaps View Post
    His/her point might be simply to troll. Who knows? With a name like 'TrueFreedom', I'm surprised this individual is seemingly so eager to discredit Liberty Dollar. Very difficult to discern someone's true motivations online.
    I figured I'd get the troll argument and I understand and expect it. But I am a Paul supporter who has seen first hand the type of garbage he has to deal with. I was with the supporters at the Texas Straw poll when we got locked out and cheated on the vote. I support him and no other candidate. But I disagree with his economic policy, not the cutting of spending, but the competition in currency, and I think this Gold is great idea is flawed. Plus I believe that a lot of the arguments that surround the Paul campaign unfortunately are unnecessary because they are wrong. Most of these come from the movie From Freedom to Fascism. And we need to know what the law says so we don't continue to throw these myths around.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast