Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RonPaulCoin (RPC), new crypto currency. 2.1 million to be mined, 1 coin/block

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin69 View Post
    We aren't at the phase for a country to adopt. The S-curve has a ways to go before leveling out. People need to stop dreaming of the day where we see BTC in every retail outlet at point-of-sale. It distracts and causes missed opportunities to think so short-sighted. We are still in the early investment phase like the internet circa 1994.

If inflation in your crypto is what you want, try Peercoin. You may make a lot short-term. Don't stay in it forever though. BTC is the gold (and silver)
    Yes but there is a reason why countries eventually stopped the gold standard. It meant that they couldn't lower things like exchange rates if needed nor could they expand the money supply as needed. Bitcoin - if its community ever wants it to be accepted ever - will need some way to control the exchange rate.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Some way to control"??? Really? Who should control it? You? People that believe the same way you do maybe?

Are you sure you are on the right forum?

The only thing that controls bitcoin's exchange rate is the free market.

Quote Originally Posted by vickersvimy View Post
    Yes but there is a reason why countries eventually stopped the gold standard. It meant that they couldn't lower things like exchange rates if needed nor could they expand the money supply as needed. Bitcoin - if its community ever wants it to be accepted ever - will need some way to control the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by danda View Post
    "Some way to control"??? Really? Who should control it? You? People that believe the same way you do maybe?

Are you sure you are on the right forum?

The only thing that controls bitcoin's exchange rate is the free market.
    Someone qualified to do so should control it like the people who created it.

Bitcoin's exchange rate is controlled by the people most qualified to change it: the entire populuation of individuals that comprise the free market as they go about their individual value judgements on a day-to-day basis.

You would rather see a small group of individuals control it somehow. This displays a profound ignorance of the ideals that went into the creation of bitcoin, the technical aspects of how bitcoin works, and also the ideals that Ron Paul and most here hold dear.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bitcoin's exchange rate is controlled by the people most qualified to change it: the entire populuation of individuals that comprise the free market as they go about their individual value judgements on a day-to-day basis.

You would rather see a small group of individuals control it somehow. This displays a profound ignorance of the ideals that went into the creation of bitcoin, the technical aspects of how bitcoin works, and also the ideals that Ron Paul and most here hold dear.
    Uncontrolled markets don't work. Look at the Great Depression. It was caused by an almost unmanaged economy. You are showing ignorance in relation to Macro Economics. A US like system (which I am mostly advocating) works. It worked for years and still works.

Someone qualified to do so should control it like the people who created it.
    You don't work for the Federal Reserve, do you??

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    You don't work for the Federal Reserve, do you??
    No but I would consider myself an advocate of it.

No but I would consider myself an advocate of it.
    Lol!

Well...

Welcome to Ron Paul Forums. You'll find that Keynesians are pretty rare around here.

Lol!

Well...

Welcome to Ron Paul Forums. You'll find that Keynesians are pretty rare around here.
    Yes I am probably the sole Keynesian.

bitcoin and ronpaulcoin do not adhere to your cherished keynesian principals. Therefore vickersimy, I suggest that you not invest in either. It bothers me so to see trolls profiting. :-)

Uncontrolled markets don't work. Look at the Great Depression. It was caused by an almost unmanaged economy. You are showing ignorance in relation to Macro Economics. A US like system (which I am mostly advocating) works. It worked for years and still works.
    Trading on margin with money ppl didn't have combined with the very same people you trust caused the great depression.

I think you will find that most here will vehemently disagree with this statement regarding the causes of the great depression. Including Ron Paul himself. Why don't you go post this statement in a new thread in the economics sub-forum and receive an education. Anyway, I find your views outdated and irrelevant. One of the wonderful attributes of the cryptocurrency movement is that we can simply ignore keynesians and keep doing our thing. have a nice day.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think you will find that most here will vehemently disagree with this statement regarding the causes of the great depression. Including Ron Paul himself. Why don't you go post this statement in a new thread in the economics sub-forum and receive an education. Anyway, I find your views outdated and irrelevant. One of the wonderful attributes of the cryptocurrency movement is that we can simply ignore keynesians and keep doing our thing. have a nice day.
    Your views are the outdated ones. It is foolish to want no control over a currency. You talk about "receiving an education" but you'll find that my views or at least the parts about the problems with bitcoin is agreed with by people like Paul Krugman. People who have lots of experience (Though of course Ron Paul has lots of experience as well).

Your views are the outdated ones. It is foolish to want no control over a currency. You talk about "receiving an education" but you'll find that my views or at least the parts about the problems with bitcoin is agreed with by people like Paul Krugman. People who have lots of experience (Though of course Ron Paul has lots of experience as well).
    notsureifseriousjoker.jpg

ok.. I need tech help here. I got a wallet.. downloaded the mining program for windows--cpu and a lovely cmd line box opens that won't let me type in it to configure this thing
    that massive thread is all greek to me.. anyone have any tips on configuring the mining software?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin69 View Post
    notsureifseriousjoker.jpg
    What? I am sorry but... what?

"Ron Paul Coins" - what a perfectly targeted scam. Could you craft a better emotional appeal to the very types of folks most likely to consider digital currencies?

Uterrly destroying the value of the currency, people's savings and paychecks works for who exactly? When you figure out that answer, you'll figure out why they want control over it.

I suppose you think minimum wage actually helps the poor too, LOL.

I would love if you'd like to start a thread about the Great Depression and Keynesianism. It would be very educational for you.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinch View Post
    Uterrly destroying the value of the currency, people's savings and paychecks works for who exactly? When you figure out that answer, you'll figure out why they want control over it.

I suppose you think minimum wage actually helps the poor too, LOL.

I would love if you'd like to start a thread about the Great Depression and Keynesianism. It would be very educational for you.
    The great depression was worsened by the federal reserve being restrained by the gold standard. Lower valued currencies are good for exports.

Friend, lemme tell ya... citing Paul Krugman isn't going to give you any traction. Most folks on RPF (myself included, I must add) consider Krugman to be a pretentious ass, with opinions dropping lower from that starting point.

I'll grant you that Keynesian viewpoint is predominant in today's economic world, but I tend to think that's as much due to a good PR campaign and plenty of cheerleaders in the mass media than anything resembling efficiency within the Keynesian system.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Crazy! RPC up to around $20/coin now on https://coinedup.com

If it gets added to the bigger exchanges it will likely go up more.
    How does one actually buy and hold these coins? I would like to get one. I installed the Ron Paul Coin program on the computer, but I have no idea how to use it. I sure don't want it using my computer's CPU to "mine" anything. Is that what the program is for? I also went to coinedup.com and tried to make an order, but it keeps saying "rejected". I have no idea how to use that either... I mean, how does that site know where to get my money and where to send my coin?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    How does one actually buy and hold these coins? I would like to get one. I installed the Ron Paul Coin program on the computer, but I have no idea how to use it. I sure don't want it using my computer's CPU to "mine" anything. Is that what the program is for? I also went to coinedup.com and tried to make an order, but it keeps saying "rejected". I have no idea how to use that either... I mean, how does that site know where to get my money and where to send my coin?
    A couple of things one must understand about cryptocurrency: There is no physical coin. What you get is a long alphanumeric string of letters and numbers that represent a "coin" or a fraction of a coin.

These strings of numbers are commonly stored in an online "wallet." An example of this can be found at blockchain.info (although this is for bitcoin). Most other wallets - as I understand it - are usually a part of the mining program that is held on the computer.

Most "mining" is done via the computer, but due to the high level of mathematical computations, the mining is done with specialized graphics cards for most "minor" cryptocurrencies like Litecoin, Feathercoin, etc. In the case of Bitcoin, the computation levels have become so difficult that most Bitcoin miners are using specialized chips called ASICs.

As for coinedup.com... I've never been there or used it, so I can't render an opinion. But if it is like most exchanges, you'll have to deposit money with them first, then use that "account" money to make your bid for a different form of "coin."

Hope it helps...

A couple of things one must understand about cryptocurrency: There is no physical coin.
    I knew this much.

What you get is a long alphanumeric string of letters and numbers that represent a "coin" or a fraction of a coin.
    This is news to me. Thanks for sharing the info.

These strings of numbers are commonly stored in an online "wallet."
    I knew this too.

An example of this can be found at blockchain.info (although this is for bitcoin). Most other wallets - as I understand it - are usually a part of the mining program that is held on the computer.
    Are you saying that you're not sure whether the RonPaulCoin program aside from being a "wallet" also performs "mining"?

Most "mining" is done via the computer, but due to the high level of mathematical computations, the mining is done with specialized graphics cards for most "minor" cryptocurrencies like Litecoin, Feathercoin, etc. In the case of Bitcoin, the computation levels have become so difficult that most Bitcoin miners are using specialized chips called ASICs.
    Yes, I had read this before.

As for coinedup.com... I've never been there or used it, so I can't render an opinion. But if it is like most exchanges, you'll have to deposit money with them first, then use that "account" money to make your bid for a different form of "coin."
    I don't see a way to deposit money there. Maybe I just don't know where to look.

Hope it helps...
    Yes, the fact that you bothered to reply makes me feel good
    Still, I am no closer to knowing how to get the Ron Paul Coin

Friend, lemme tell ya... citing Paul Krugman isn't going to give you any traction. Most folks on RPF (myself included, I must add) consider Krugman to be a pretentious ass, with opinions dropping lower from that starting point.

I'll grant you that Keynesian viewpoint is predominant in today's economic world, but I tend to think that's as much due to a good PR campaign and plenty of cheerleaders in the mass media than anything resembling efficiency within the Keynesian system.
    No it is due to the fact that Keynesianism revolutionised modern economic thinking and led to modern macro economics. You talk of Krugman being "a pretentious ass" but all of your arguments are based on theory rather than empirical evidence. While Keynesianism isn't perfect it has at least shown the world economic upturns while Austrian Economics have not.

Are you saying that you're not sure whether the RonPaulCoin program aside from being a "wallet" also performs "mining"?
    Yes, the wallet can perform CPU mining, but that would be useless right now due to a high difficulty level. You would not find any blocks and just be wasting your CPU and electricity. the only way to mine effectively is to use a dedicated mining program such as cgminer in conjunction with high end ATI Radeon video cards ( 9750's are favorites ) and an online pooling service where lots of individual miners pool their computational power together in order to find blocks, and distribute the rewards according to percentage of computational input. In short, mining is best suited to people that are very technical already. If that's you, and you wish to spend the money on required hardware, go for it.

I don't see a way to deposit money there. Maybe I just don't know where to look.
    You would need to deposit bitcoin after registering with the exchange. Since I have never used that exchange, I cannot say what exactly the process is, but they must have a page/form to deposit BTC.

a) If you happen to know someone with RPC, you could buy it directly from them using dollars, yen, eggs, labor, comic books, whatever you have that they want.

b) You may be able to buy some on Ebay. For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-RonPaulC...item4d171b5176. You would need to provide your RPC payment address (from your RPC wallet) to the seller.

c) otherwise, you first need some bitcoin. There are lots of places where you can get that. localbitcoin.com, bitinstant and coinbase are popular. I recommend buying bitcoin in person whenever possible, but to each their own.

d) once you have bitcoin, you could hop on the exchange, as mentioned above. Or by then, RPC may be listed on cryptsy.com, a more popular exchange. Alternatively, you might be able to arrange a private sale with some people on bitcointalk.org.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by danda; 01-05-2014 at 04:37 PM.

No it is due to the fact that Keynesianism revolutionised modern economic thinking and led to modern macro economics. You talk of Krugman being "a pretentious ass" but all of your arguments are based on theory rather than empirical evidence. While Keynesianism isn't perfect it has at least shown the world economic upturns while Austrian Economics have not.

I very much doubt that either of us will be able to change the mind of the other. I do give you point for being eager to argue your case in the face of overwhelming odds here on RPF.

If you're interested in an in-depth, serious debate, I would recommend you start a thread specifically devoted to this discussion. I imagine you'll have no end of people here who would be eager to post and defend Austrian perspective.

In the meantime.... Peace, my friend!

Yes, the fact that you bothered to reply makes me feel good

After a bit more checking, it appears that the RonPaulCoin program does indeed act as a wallet as well as doing the mining. That being said, to do any serious mining you'll probably want to invest in a special mining rig with the Radeon graphics cards that Danda mentioned. Overall, (again, as Danda mentioned) if you just want a few RPC it would probably be easier to buy them than to mine them.

I'm interested in RonPaulCoin as well... I'll do a bit more checking and see what else I can find out. This stuff is confusing to me too. It takes a while to sift all the info through my tiny little brain...

Yes, the wallet can perform CPU mining, but that would be useless right now due to a high difficulty level. You would not find any blocks and just be wasting your CPU and electricity. the only way to mine effectively is to use a dedicated mining program such as cgminer in conjunction with high end ATI Radeon video cards ( 9750's are favorites ) and an online pooling service where lots of individual miners pool their computational power together in order to find blocks, and distribute the rewards according to percentage of computational input. In short, mining is best suited to people that are very technical already. If that's you, and you wish to spend the money on required hardware, go for it.
    As I said in the OP, I do not want any software to be using my CPU to "mine" anything. You seem to be saying that whenever I open this RPC wallet program, it's going to start "mining", and since I have to run it in order to buy or sell a RPC, it's going to try to do "mining" as long as it's open. Have I got that right?

You would need to deposit bitcoin after registering with the exchange. Since I have never used that exchange, I cannot say what exactly the process is, but they must have a page/form to deposit BTC.
    I don't think you need to use coinedup.com to look around at it and see if you find a link or page for making deposits. I couldn't find one. Maybe someone else can, and then point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You are welcome to your opinion, and to not purchase or mine any coins.

The creator of this coin has expressed that he is a Ron Paul fan for a long time and designed this coin as a sort of tribute to Ron Paul for championing the ideals of hard money for so long. It can be effectively argued that cryptocurrency is even harder than precious metals, in that the maximum available amount is finite and known and will eventually stop increasing, whereas the available amount of gold and silver is not known, and may never run out.

Calling something a scam is a serious accusation, requiring serious evidence. Unless you post concrete evidence that Ron Paul Coin is somehow fraudulent in nature, I will ignore any further posts in this vein. There is a term for making accusations without evidence: trolling. and a legal term as well: libel.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    "Ron Paul Coins" - what a perfectly targeted scam. Could you craft a better emotional appeal to the very types of folks most likely to consider digital currencies?
    Last edited by danda; 01-05-2014 at 05:10 PM.

As I said in the OP, I do not want any software to be using my CPU to "mine" anything. You seem to be saying that whenever I open this RPC wallet program, it's going to start "mining", and since I have to run it in order to buy or sell a RPC, it's going to try to do "mining" as long as it's open. Have I got that right?
    I said that it "can" perform cpu mining. I did not say that it will start automatically mining whenever you open the wallet.

So to be clear: the wallet will not start mining unless you specifically instruct it to.

I don't think you need to use coinedup.com to look around at it and see if you find a link or page for making deposits. I couldn't find one. Maybe someone else can, and then point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
    Maybe someone can. Depositing requires an account on all exchanges, and I'm not going to register just for that. I suggest you look around a little harder yourself, or ask the site's tech support if need be.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast