View Poll Results: Would you buy this Barbie for your daughter?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, absolutely!

4 11.76%
  • No

30 88.24%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plus-size, double-chinned Barbie sparking controversial debate

Plus-size, double-chinned Barbie sparking controversial debate

A controversy is brewing over a request to remake Barbie in way contrary to the iconic image so many girls knew growing up.

Plus-Size-Modeling.com is suggesting Mattel create a plus-size Barbie. While some say more realistic curves would be a better role model for girls, others say an overly large Barbie would be an unhealthy example.

Plus Size Modeling conducted a poll on its Facebook page on Dec. 18 asking, “Should toy companies start making Plus Sized Barbie dolls?” In just under two weeks, a picture of the poll has received over 40,000 likes, 5,000 comments and 2,700 shares.
    cont
    http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/12/...l-debate-90732

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like the realistic Barbie concept-not too thin, not too fat-just right.

I voted no but feel the need to add I wouldn't buy the other kind either.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

I loved Barbies when I was a kid and if I had a daughter I would buy her the Barbie she wanted. If she wanted plus sized Barbie fine but I don't see how glorifying obesity is any better than glorifying the unattainable Barbie body. I don't really remember thinking too much about her figure, I just liked her glamorous clothes, her dream house and her corvette. I had 4 older brothers and Barbie was the only girl toy I had, if I had a fat one they would've only made fun of her.

She's kinda cute........

I'm a big honey boo-boo fan.
    "The Patriarch"

It's simply a concession to the ugly reality that morbid obesity is already mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I loved Barbies when I was a kid and if I had a daughter I would buy her the Barbie she wanted. If she wanted plus sized Barbie fine but I don't see how glorifying obesity is any better than glorifying the unattainable Barbie body. I don't really remember thinking too much about her figure, I just liked her glamorous clothes, her dream house and her corvette. I had 4 older brothers and Barbie was the only girl toy I had, if I had a fat one they would've only made fun of her.
    The feminists found a way to make hay when it was discovered that her figure was inhuman. Now, the fat-is-normal crowd want to make hay too. In a statist society politics invades everything.

Has Danke voted yet?
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    The feminists found a way to make hay when it was discovered that her figure was inhuman. Now, the fat-is-normal crowd want to make hay too. In a statist society politics invades everything.
    NO DOUBT. Everyone is so willing to be defined by a certain "type" then scream for acceptance or worse, special privileges and concessions. It's $#@!ing sickening.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

One of my aunts had the original hooker barbie with blue eyeshadow, cat eyes and a black bouffant. That barbie was pretty awesome.

WTF is wrong with "ordinary human sized" anyway? it either has to be unrealistically and unhealthily tiny, or unhealthily large. Are Americans really that afraid of simple plain REALITY or what? No, I wouldn't buy this for a daughter anymore than I would buy the other one. I would buy a daughter a 'normal,' 'realistic,' and 'human' sized one, but apparently "real" is the only size we mundanes aren't allowed to have.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    One of my aunts had the original hooker barbie with blue eyeshadow, cat eyes and a black bouffant. That barbie was pretty awesome.
    That will be worth a hell of a lot one day. It can't possibly be real.

I couldn't tell you for sure, the doll is long gone.

The doll looked like this but with much darker hair:

Last edited by amy31416; 12-28-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Like so many women in the trade...

Um why can't it possibly be real? Read up on the origins of Barbie.

These people are getting offended over and arguing about the attributes of what amounts to a sex doll with no nipples and a lack of articulations in her fingers, not to mention synthetic hair and who puts on rings by cutting a hole in her hand/flipper.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Something perhaps related, for whatever it might be worth: http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...-and-fat-talk/

Quote Originally Posted by Karen De Coster
    The Industrial Big K: Women, Cereal and Fat Talk

Kellogg’s is playing to the dumbed-down, Oprahized female masses with its latest campaign, “Fight Fat Talk.” The website is all about “positive posts that are helping silence the negativity.” Seriously – here it is.

Kellogg’s is using its signature chick cereal, Special K, to sell women on the notion that “fat talk” is a “barrier to weight management success.” Look at the “Gains Project” page and tell me this isn’t targeted for the stereotypical, confused, fearful-of-everything female. Maybe women talk so often about being fat because they are fat, and that’s why they keep talking about it. And since they are eating everything the government and the government’s nutrition satellites have told them to eat to stay healthy, they are confused. They don’t understand they have been hoodwinked by a government-industrial alliance and lied to by the science-medical establishment that reaps mega-profits from selling deception and developing standard protocols that make people sicker and fatter. Furthermore, this racket turns them into longer-term, high-revenue patients.

In the end, the goal is two-fold: (1) Kellogg’s is fighting to keep its chick cereal a hot seller in times where people are finally questioning the legitimacy of the government’s long-standing nutritional standards that favor industrial food machinations, and (2) The industrial giant is yet again confirming for you - without you having to think - that eating processed wheat and sugar out of a box will help you lose body fat. In essence, these ‘don’t-feel-bad-about-being-fat’ campaigns are nothing more than propaganda for the masses to condition them into self-acceptance for being fat and abnormal. When folks accept being fat and don’t work to change it, the government-industrial machine keeps on churning out and selling its subsidized-politicized, food pyramid-approved industrial slop that is promoted as healthy food.

Now put down your beverage to avoid a keyboard spitting incident before you go to this page (click on “Products”) that tells fearful women what to eat to nourish their bodies: processed, frozen waffles; sugar bars; fudge-dipped pretzels; brownie bites, etc.

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Sigh, I bet she was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Something perhaps related, for whatever it might be worth: http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...-and-fat-talk/
    Lawrence wants word 'fat' banned on TV
    The Hunger Games star says the term amounts to a form of bullying and claims it is thrown around too loosely in the media, so she is urging TV broadcasting officials to take a stand.

In an interview for the TV special Barbara Walters Presents: The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2013, Lawrence says: "Why is humiliating people funny? I get it, and, and I do it too, we all do it.

"(But) the media needs to take responsibility for the effect that it has on our younger generation, on these girls who are watching these television shows, and picking up how to talk and how to be cool...

"And the word fat, I just think it should be illegal to call somebody fat on TV. I mean, if we're regulating cigarettes and sex and cuss words, because of the effect they have on our younger generation, why aren't we regulating things like calling people fat?"
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/20382833/...-banned-on-tv/

The doll looked like this but with much darker hair:

I had that one. Mine had blonde hair. I don't think mine was one of the original Barbie's though. I think the originals looked like this:

This one ^^ came out in 1959, a few years before I got my Barbie. My older cousin had this one.
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 12-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    I had that one. Mine had blonde hair. I don't think mine was one of the original Barbie's though. I think the originals looked like this:

This one ^^ came out in 1959, a few years before I got my Barbie. My older cousin had this one.
    Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure--the info came from my cousin who sometimes liked to brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Has Danke voted yet?
    Saw him at walmart in the toy section searching frantically.

I think it's a conspiracy. Obviously Mattel's plastic supplier is hurting since the M-16 went out of production. Gotta spike demand somehow--especially since Mattel insists on making Hot Wheels out of metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Here is a "normal" vs. regular size Barbie:

Normal is much hotter.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Here is a "normal" vs. regular size Barbie:

Normal is much hotter.
    That ass is too plump

That ass is too plump
    Barbie got back ...

The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

That ass is too plump
    Not for me...

I agree it probably could use a little trimming to come in line with the average woman. Of course, my conception of the average woman could be completely wrong.

Bitch is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    WTF is wrong with "ordinary human sized" anyway? it either has to be unrealistically and unhealthily tiny, or unhealthily large. Are Americans really that afraid of simple plain REALITY or what? No, I wouldn't buy this for a daughter anymore than I would buy the other one. I would buy a daughter a 'normal,' 'realistic,' and 'human' sized one, but apparently "real" is the only size we mundanes aren't allowed to have.
    I'm sure you've seen the debt + unfounded liabilities. I'd say the average American is pretending that REALITY isn't real.

That ass is too plump
    Ass on the left is way too flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Lawrence wants word 'fat' banned on TV

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/20382833/...-banned-on-tv/
    She should shut up.

Unless she's talking about farts and butt plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

My sister did too.
    Last edited by kathy88; 12-29-2013 at 06:34 AM.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast