Thread: Rand Paul Op-Ed: Expand jobs not jobless benefits

Rand Paul Op-Ed: Expand jobs not jobless benefits

Expand jobs not jobless benefits

Rand Paul and Daniel J. Mitchell
    January 9, 2014

Extending unemployment payments won't fix the employment problem.

For the past few weeks, the country has been having a lively discussion about jobs and unemployment benefits. It's an important discussion to have. The nation is enduring the weakest recovery since the Great Depression, 11 million people remain unemployed, and millions more have dropped out of the labor force.

For minorities, it's even worse. The black unemployment rate is more than twice that of whites. And the weak job market means that even those who are employed are having a hard time climbing the economic ladder.

There's a lot of talk about helping those down on their luck, but there's a big divide on the best approach. Our view is that America needs a growth agenda based on reducing the burden of government. The unemployed need a strong job market, not endless handouts that create dependency.

More:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...olumn/4393639/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

so Rand wants to throw lazy people under the bus, and toss out that voter block....

burp...

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    so Rand wants to throw lazy people under the bus, and toss out that voter block....

burp...
    Well, he's taking an unpopular stance to stand up for economics, logic and common sense. On the other hand, people complain when he doesn't take strong enough stands on other controversial subjects (myself included). Can't please everyone all the time.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.