Thread: What's Wrong with Police in Iceland?

Exclamation What's Wrong with Police in Iceland?

What's Wrong with Police in Iceland?

http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com...n-iceland.html

In Iceland, police are mourning the unprecedented shooting death of a suspect.

In the United States, police are scandalized by the unfamiliar spectacle of an officer using non-lethal means to subdue and arrest an emotionally unstable man who appeared to be armed.

Icelandic police are stunned and grieving because officers took a human life.

Some American cops are alarmed by the “recklessness” displayed by an officer who spared the life of a Mundane.

The fatal police shooting of a 59-year-old Icelandic man on December 2 was the first to take place in that country since it achieved independence in 1944.

Iceland is not inhospitable to privately owned firearms: it is ranked 15th in the world in terms of per-capita gun ownership. Its police typically don’t carry weapons – and its population, which is blessed to live in a country where violent crime is all but non-existent, quite sensibly prefers this arrangement.

Following an “officer-involved shooting” in the United States, the department will place the shooter on paid vacation and erect an information barricade to prevent public disclosure of critical facts. It will also quietly leak whatever damaging information about the victim it can find in order to reinforce the presumption that any use of lethal force by police is justified.

The shooter, who is clothed in “qualified immunity,” will be given a generous interval to confer with police union attorneys in order to devise a suitable story before speaking with investigators. In some cities – Dallas, for example – a cop who fatally shoots a citizen won’t have to worry about being questioned until three days after the incident, and he can use that time to review video records of the event.

Owing to their lack of prior experience with officer-involved shootings, police in Iceland (who are certainly capable of brutal behavior on occasion) are ignorant of this ritual.

Rather than execrating the dead man and extolling the valor of the officers who shot him, the police treated the incident as a tragedy. Police chief Haraldur Johannessen told reporters that he and his department “regret this incident and would like to extend [our] condolences to the family of the man.” Some of the officers involved in the shooting have sought grief counseling to deal with the burden of taking an irreplaceable human life.

Icelandic police saw nothing heroic about the shooting, even in circumstances in which they considered that action to be justified and necessary. American police, by way of contrast, are taught that risking their lives in order to avoid killing a Mundane is stupidly irresponsible, rather than heroic.

Charles Remsberg, a columnist for PoliceOne.com news who focuses on the all-important issue of “officer safety,” has described a recent incident in what he describes as “a Western city of roughly 50,000 population” in which a training officer and a recent recruit confronted a suicidal man during a domestic disturbance. When the man approached the officers carrying a shotgun and a handgun, they took up defensive positions behind the doors of their car and ordered him to stop. After he came within a few feet of the car, the training officer doused him with pepper spray and took him into custody without additional injury.

“Neither of the offender’s weapons, as it turns out, was loaded,” observes Remsberg. “Later it was determined that he apparently had intended to `teach his battered girlfriend a lesson for calling the police’ by provoking a suicide-by-cop.’”

Many of this officer’s comrades on the police force were impressed with this genuinely heroic act, and urged that he be nominated for a medal of valor. The police chief moved quickly to contain this outbreak of decency.

“When that proposal came to my desk, I thought, `That’s crazy! It’d be a dangerous precedent to set,’” the chief told Remsberg. “Instead, I advocated that he be disciplined, sent to mandatory training, and removed from the [field training] program. I was adamant that my officers not be afraid – or hesitant – to shoot when the situation warrants, as it, by my analysis, did in this situation.”

Whenever a police officer kills somebody, the public is sternly commanded not to “second-guess” the decision to use lethal force. In this case, however, the chief himself not only engaged in second-guessing, he was prepared to inflict damage on his officer’s career because he refrained from killing somebody.

This was because “he failed to send the proper message that this administration wants officers to act decisively, with deadly force, in appropriate circumstances, and they will be backed up when they do.”

When he was a young officer, the chief recalled to Rembserg, “my partner and I often told each other, `I sure hope I’m not the first officer to shoot somebody around this place.’” Mind you, this was not because he and his partner had any moral inhibitions about killing Mundanes, but rather because they were concerned about the potential impact on their own careers: “We had no confidence that the administration would treat us in a just manner after the shooting. When I became an administrator myself, I didn’t want my department to perpetuate that kind of thinking.”

This is why the chief was upset over what he described as the “`appalling’ amount of support” among his subordinates for the officer who had neglected an opportunity to kill somebody. In order to neutralize the subversive influence of a cop who acted like a peace officer, the chief intended to impose exemplary administrative punishment – until his disciplinary proposal was vetoed by the city’s public safety director.

In order to avoid similar scandals in the future, the chief suggests that greater care must be taken to destroy any residual inhibitions on the part of police. To “educate” the public, he continues, “We have to be willing to critique non-shootings as well as shootings.” From that perspective, restraint on the part of police is a danger to public safety – not that we have much cause for concern on that account.

This is a country where police are trained to overcome their reluctance to shoot pregnant women, small children, and the elderly, and where cops who gun down children carrying toy guns needn’t concern themselves about criminal charges or administrative punishment.

This is a society in which an unarmed man who causes a public disturbance can be charged with assault because the police who arrested him panicked and shot several innocent bystanders.

The standard of “valor” to which American police officers aspire is embodied by Henrico County Police Officer Brian Anderson, upon whom was conferred the Silver Valor Award for shooting an unarmed man holding a cellphone.

The Face of Valor

Police in Iceland are still somewhat burdened with civilized scruples, which is why their conduct would be incomprehensible to those who belong to America’s exalted fraternity of state-consecrated violence.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Heroism is a distinctly Amerikan value. Those Icelandic neo-cops can't have it, can't embody it and surely cannot act on it. So here's to you, you gun slinging cowboys of Amerika's new west! Were it not for you Amerika would just be a tiny Island, not the great continent on which freedom was built!

they are human?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

They have real peace officers there.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Wow.. Makes me so sad.. Wish more people could see this and realize where we have gone and just how far we've gone..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

All those times with tongue-in-cheek we declared "they should give him a medal", they actually went and did it. Jesus helps us.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx
    My civil neighbor, the tax-gatherer, is the very man I have to deal with--for it is, after all, with men and not with parchment that I quarrel--and he has voluntarily chosen to be an agent of the government.-Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    they are human?
    If Google and DARPA get their way, Cops wont be Humans for much longer, literally.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Makes me want to move there.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    If Google and DARPA get their way, Cops wont be Humans for much longer, literally.
    They can put skin on a robot, the only thing missing then would be the feeling of superiority.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    They can put skin on a robot, the only thing missing then would be the feeling of superiority.
    A robot feels only as superior as it's programmer allows. I'm sure that the programmers are going to program a level of superiority that would make a flesh and blood man genuflect in front of their creations.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    Makes me want to move there.
    I don't know. They seem pretty wacked out.

/Police_Officer_Found_Guilty_of_Assault

Government_Cuts_Development_Aid_by_12_Percent

/Icelandic_Bankers_Sentenced_to_Prison_for_Market_A buse
    Last edited by XNavyNuke; 12-24-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Ye Gods!! What is wrong with those people??

Sounds like those Icelanders are in dire need of some good ol' American-style democratizin' ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Ye Gods!! What is wrong with those people??

Sounds like those Icelanders are in dire need of some good ol' American-style democratizin' ...
    The UN will be sending "democracy" by drone before much longer....

I don't know what's wrong with Iceland, with elves and what not, but I would steer clear of the Swedish police, i wouldn't suggest getting on their bad side EVARR.

This Is What happens When You Try To Film The Police Is Sweden
    Last edited by tommyrp12; 12-25-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Iceland police decide to go all Ferguson on their population. The traditional unarmed constabulary is going full military with HK MP5 MGs.

Shoot to Kill… Or for the Thrill

I was totally shocked this morning when I saw a news story on dv.is, stating that the police in Iceland will be armed with guns.

Every police car in the country will not only be equipped with one gun, but two: one Heckler & Koch MP5 machine gun and one Glock 17 polymer-framed short recoil operated, locked breech semi-automatic pistol.

The police force had asked the government for stun guns.

The Ministry of the Interior ordered instead 200 Heckler & Koch MP5 machine guns, among other weapons.
    Now we will see if their population becomes seduced by their new found "safety" or if they rise up again like they did against their banksters.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Heroism is a distinctly Amerikan value. Those Icelandic neo-cops can't have it, can't embody it and surely cannot act on it. So here's to you, you gun slinging cowboys of Amerika's new west! Were it not for you Amerika would just be a tiny Island, not the great continent on which freedom was built!
    Yes! Blind patriotism! That's why we all make sure to buy only goods with the Made in America label! Right? U-S-A! U-S-A!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by XNavyNuke View Post
    Iceland police decide to go all Ferguson on their population. The traditional unarmed constabulary is going full military with HK MP5 MGs.

Shoot to Kill… Or for the Thrill

Now we will see if their population becomes seduced by their new found "safety" or if they rise up again like they did against their banksters.

XNN
    Maybe the Min of Int knows something.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Maybe the Min of Int knows something.
    Looks like the people didn't like their sheepdog's new dentures.

Iceland to Return Guns if Not Gift from Norway

Director of the Icelandic Coast Guard, Georg Lárusson, said that if the guns were found not to be a gift from the Norwegians, they would be returned, visir.is reports.

The police in Iceland have been under fire lately after it was reported that submachine guns were acquired from the Norwegian military and news that the guns will be kept in police cars—general officers in Iceland have until now been unarmed. Part of the guns were intended for the Icelandic Coast Guard.
    Looks like a bureaucrat trying to save face.

XNN