Please allow me to update you on some of this week's happenings in Washington, D.C.

Dr. Rand Paul Introduces Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2013

This week, I introduced the Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2013. This bill provides for the establishment of free market enterprise zones in order to help facilitate the creation of new jobs, entrepreneurial opportunities, enhance and renew educational opportunities and increase community involvement in bankrupt or economically distressed areas. These zones will apply to any zip code with unemployment greater than one and a half times the national average. This bill will dramatically reduce taxes and red tape so that families and businesses can grow and thrive in numerous areas throughout the United States, including Eastern Kentucky.

In order to change our course, we must reverse the trend toward more Big Government by ending the corporate welfare and crony capitalism that limits choice and stifles competition. We must encourage policies that will lift up the individual, allow for the creation of new jobs, improve the school system and get these communities back to work. The answer to poverty and unemployment is not another government bailout; it is simply leaving more money in the hands of those who earned it. The Economic Freedom Zones Act of 2013 will do just that.

Click HERE to read my statement in its entirety.

Dr. Rand Paul Votes Against Ryan-Murray Budget Deal

On Wednesday, the Senate voted on the Ryan-Murray budget deal. This deal raises taxes, adds $7 trillion in debt in over 10 years and increases our deficit by $60 billion.
There is a recurring theme in Washington budget negotiations. It's 'I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.' I think it's a huge mistake to trade sequester cuts now, for the promise of cuts later.

The small sequester spending cuts were not nearly enough to address our deficit problem. Undoing tens of billions of this modest spending restraint is shameful and must be opposed. I cannot support a budget that raises taxes and never balances, nor can I support a deal that does nothing to reduce our nation's $17.3 trillion debt.

Click HERE to read my entire statement.

Dr. Rand Paul Joins Kentucky Delegation in Filing Amicus Brief at U.S. Supreme Court to Support Kentucky Coal Jobs

Earlier this week, the Kentucky delegation filed an amicus brief in the United States Supreme Court to support Kentucky's coal miners, their families, small businesses and all those negatively affected by the Administration's War on Coal.

The EPA's power-grabbing schemes are unbelievable, and unconstitutional. This federal agency wants to bend the rules to suit its own agenda by undermining the authority of Congress. Time and again, the courts have struck down the overreaching arm of the EPA, and I hope that our highest court will see through the agency's efforts to impose one-size-fits-all regulations on greenhouse gas emissions. No region has realized the cost of the EPA's job-killing regulations more than the Central Appalachian coalfields, where power plants and mines are shutting down, and thousands of coal miners are losing their jobs every year.

Click HERE to read my statement in its entirety.

Dr. Rand Paul Applauds the Protection of Fourth Amendment Rights

On Monday, a U.S. District Court ruling deemed the National Security Agency's (NSA) phone surveillance program unconstitutional.

I commend U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon for upholding and protecting our Fourth Amendment rights. This decision represents an important first step in having the constitutionality of government surveillance programs decided in the regular court system rather than a secret court where only one side is presented.

In June, I introduced the Fourth Amendment Restoration Act which, if enacted, would have restored our Constitutional rights and declared that the Fourth Amendment shall not be construed to allow any agency of the United States government to search the phone records of Americans without a warrant based on probable cause. The NSA phone surveillance program is a blatant abuse of power and an invasion of our privacy. This ruling reminds the Federal government that it is not above the law. I will continue to fight against the violations of American's Constitutional rights through illegal phone surveillance until it is stopped once and for all.

Click HERE to read more.

Share Your Obamacare Stories

Since the implementation of Obamacare, roughly 280,000 Kentuckians have received cancellation notices from their current health care providers. For every Kentuckian that has enrolled in Obamacare, 40 have been dropped from their coverage. Obamacare has been presented to the American people through twisted rhetoric, smoke and mirrors. Obamacare is not good for America and it certainly not good for Kentucky.

I would like you hear how has Obamacare affected you, your family or your small business? Share your story by visiting my website: paul.senate.gov

Media Wrap-Up

This past week, I appeared on Fox's On the Record with Greta Van Susteren, Fox Business' Stossel, and CNN's The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer. I spoke with several radio stations across the country, as well as stations in Kentucky including Leland Conway of WHAS, Matt Walsh of WLAP, and Lee Burke of East Kentucky Broadcasting. I also penned an Op-Ed in Breitbart.